By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM HALLOWED CROWN @ DARLEY PLATE (1100 METRES)|
10. Savoury looks set to run a big race on debut from the inside gate. He hit the line well from a long way back in her latest trial and his only trial on good ground was solid too. Can’t see him not running well and watch for any support as a pointer to stable confidence.
Dangers: 6. Jailbreak is yet to place in four starts but he’s back as a gelding and has found a much easier assignment than what he’s faced to date. Sat off them and charged late to win his Hawkesbury trial and he will have every chance from a nice gate. 1. Coco Cuber was saved from Wyong on Tuesday to run here and he showed good speed to lead and win his only trial. That was on a heavy track and over the short 735m so an 1100m race on near good ground is a different scenario. Keep safe. 9. Napster improved sharply at his second trial where he picked up late ground in restricted room. Stable doesn’t start many two-year-olds, even though it’s the end of the season, so he’s worth watching.
How to play it: Savoury E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Savoury runs third in a Randwick trial on July 12
|Race 2 - 1:25PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
2. Bound To Win has looked very good winning her two recent trials on different surfaces. It’s a race of plenty of unknowns with first starters but she appears very professional and while well found in the market is the horse to beat on what we’ve seen.
Dangers: 11. Wandonna made a very handy debut behind Castelvecchio at Canterbury in January and both her trials back have suggested she’s going well. Sticky draw but commands plenty of respect for mine. 3. Enamour was no match for the winner first-up but it was 900m and she was working into her gear well late. Fitter, drawn ideally and can only see her being very competitive. 14. Sweeping Statement was in the market last start at Wyong on a heavy track but dropped out. Given a break and she hasn’t trialled publicly but showed enough prior to her first prep to warrant keeping an eye on her fresh.
How to play it: Bound To Win WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bound To Win wins a trial at Warwick Farm on July 8
|Race 3 – 2.00PM ATC FOUNDATION HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
5. Monegal has a prime chance to post a city win after tackling the likes of Phaistos in Saturday grade at her past couple and being competitive. If she can take advantage of a good gate and be in the first half in a race with questionable pressure she’s hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. I’m Pretty Strong wasn’t disgraced first-up on the Kensington track then maybe ridden upside down in a stronger race at Randwick. The key could be a much firmer track, she’s drawn to have her chance and improvement is expected. 4. Moana Jewel overcame a wide run to power away late in lesser grade at Wyong last time out and should have a much easier run this time. Whether she’s up to it we will find out but she’s honest and is one of the chances. 7. Southern Romance was disappointing last start when it appeared she had every chance. Previous form was honest so can be forgiven one below par effort.
How to play it: Monegal E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Monegal runs fourth at Rosehill on July 13
|Race 4 – 2.35PM PKF SYDNEY HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
7. Ivy’s Court is double figure odds but in a race that looks ripe for an upset she appeals each-way despite ordinary looking form. Ridden closer last time from a good gate but not sure she loves the heavy ground so at a suitable trip on better going she is entitled to produce something now.
Dangers: 8. Seeingisbelieving is a model of consistency with his last couple of wins coming over a mile at Scone. Tighter track has found him out in recent defeats but drawn to be right on the pace and he should be in this for a long way. 9. Penshurst is a big query at his Australian debut. Lightly raced and kicks off at a suitable trip, fitter for two trials and in a race that should have a genuine tempo he might well run into the placings at odds. 12. Ulusaba was ridden off the speed here three weeks ago when fourth to Attorney. Probably looks to lead here and could give a sight though I think he's under the odds.
How to play it: Ivy’s Court E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Ivy’s Court’s last start sixth at Rosehill on July 13
|Race 5 – 3.10PM PLUCK @ VINERY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Black Magnum looked super impressive winning first-up on heavy at Warwick Farm. Different track and better surface are challenges for him but can’t imagine he’s gone backwards. Punter's Intelligence sectionals tell us he ran 35.37 for his last 600m, five lengths better than anything else. Needs a bit of luck go his way early in the race and he’s the one they’ll have to hold out. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments on his two runners here.
Dangers: 8. Secret Lady is a big watch. She’s only had the one start since the 2018 Golden Slipper and most of her assignments have been in top class against her own age. One trial looked okay, drawn well and has the claim. Any support says she’s in order and could run a cheeky race. 12. Transmitter might appreciate firmer ground than what she’s struck at her past couple. Ran on okay on a soft 5 three runs back and could be an improver. 10. All Too Free rarely runs a bad race and is first-up here on the back of two trials. Suspect she's run into a better race than a few of those last prep but could get into a placing.
How to play it: Black Magnum WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Black Magnum wins easily at Warwick Farm on July 10
|Race 6 – 3.45PM KYM REILLY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Kawaikini doesn’t win out of turn but she does like Canterbury and prefers it on the dry side so that says she will run well here. Go on her first-up effort on a good 4 behind Passage Of Time. Gate one may not help but if she gets a race run to suit and a clear shot she’s right in this.
Dangers: 2. Bull Market caught the eye in a recent trial and is well up to winning this fresh though the small query is he’s yet to win below 1300m and tends take a run or two. That said he’s well placed. 10. Bel Diablo drops 6kg on his easy second-up win at Coonamble and while city company is a different ball game this race could set up well for him. Drawn to be in the first few and he’s generally consistent so looks an each-way hope. 11. Riviera might be a touch under the odds because she is coming through a good form race won by Haut Brion Her. In that race she had a perfect run and every chance but was beaten almost four lengths. Only win so far at 1000m and was an $11 chance. Can feature but I’d rather her each-way.
How to play it: Kawaikini E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Kawainiki’s first-up fifth at Rosehill on a good track.
|Race 7 - 4:20PM CANTERBURY LEAGUE CLUB HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
6. Knowitall Jack was a beaten favourite first-up but his effort was still sound on a heavy track. He was outsprinted but kept coming late and the step up to 1550m is a plus in a race where he should find less pressure. Entitled to go close.
Dangers: 3. McMahon did quite a big job to come from last, even considering a small field, and win full of running at Kembla a couple of weeks back and if he puts the same energy into this race he should be around the mark. 8. Weekend Affair will need a bit more pressure than there looks on paper but he has to go in. Ran on in a slowly run race here two starts ago then again made ground at Warwick Farm. Each-way as always. 2. Flying Pierro looked to appreciate the drop in class and distance winning easily at Newcastle last time out. Comes back to a tighter track and probably goes back so will be relying on luck but if it pans out for him he could repeat.
How to play it: Knowitall Jack WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Knowitall Jack’s first-up third at Warwick Farm on July 10