By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Nimalee was quite brave first-up at Rosehill, chasing the speed throughout and only beaten by a horse who took some short cuts. Fitter for that, this race sets up a lot better for her and the sting out of the track will suit. She’ll be in this for a long way and likely the one to get past in the last 200m. Read trainer Matthew Smith's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Betcha Flying took on all comers at Rosehill second-up and while she had her chance she was very game holding on for third after looming up. The winner of that race has since won again and she’s back to mares company with a claim. Has to run well. 5. Archanna faces an acid test here and we’ll find out if she’s priced on hype. Good run first-up though narrowly beaten but thought she had her chance at Randwick last time. She did run on well but probably has to get back again here and try to round them up. She might, but happy to see her do it first at the price. 4. Pierrless showed some speed at her first run for Ron Quinton in the Mona Lisa but just battled when the pressure went on. Back in class, she’ll be on the pace and could easily improve.
How to play it: Nimalee WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nimalee runs second at Rosehill on August 29
|Race 2 – 2.00PM 2020 VINERY STALLIONS HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
6. Patrolling has done nothing wrong with a country and provincial win to his name from two starts. Thought he might have won by a bit further at Kembla last week but still on the up and should run well again.
Dangers: 2. Argenteus was a beaten favourite at his first two runs back before enjoying a nice run behind the leader and getting over the top late to break through here two weeks ago. Drawn to get a nice cart again and is in the picture. 5. Kukeracha is a market watch. He won well on debut at Geelong then thrown in against the top liners behind Peltzer and Rothfire back in May. Won a Gold Coast trial before a quiet one at home at Rosehill. Can’t leave him out. 10. Orpheum was outclassed in the Furious Stakes last time but prior to that beat two subsequent winners at Kensington in a maiden. Drawn well and blinkers on. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Patrolling WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Patrolling wins at Kembla Grange on September 17
|Race 3 – 2:35PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
3. Cisco Bay is very well placed here if you overlook his last start failure in Saturday grade where he raced wide. Form before that stacks up really well for a race like this, can get a nice run just off the lead and a bit of give in the ground is ideal. Can’t see him not being in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Miyake loomed up at the right time when resuming at Warwick Farm and just flattened out a bit late. So he’ll be fitter here and worth noting both his wins have come second-up. Stays under notice. 6. So Wicked had plenty of control in front here two weeks ago and ran away from them as she liked in the straight. Similar sort of race here, she’ll probably lead again and if she gets its cheaply would have her chance to repeat. 1. Bentley Magic was saved up for one run at them and it was effective as he burst through to win at Warwick Farm, downing Miyake. Unproven at the exra trip but racing well so is in the mix.
How to play it: Cisco Bay WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Cisco Bay runs third at Rosehill on August 29
|Race 4 – 3:10PM IMPENDING @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Mr Mosaic is going to give a big sight whichever way you look at it. He has the speed to lead and then it’s a matter of how he relaxes and whether there’s any pressure applied. Did it so easily first-up at Warwick Farm an extra 100m won’t be an issue and he’s the one to catch.
Dangers: 7. Switched is such an honest mare and she has a racing pattern that will piut herself in the picture somewhere more often than not. Freshened up since a string of placings through the winter and has trialled well. Must be given some respect. 2. Segalas won first-up last preparation then raced consistently through to early winter. Picked up some late ground in her second trial, probably gets back but from gate two perhaps not right back. She’s capable of putting herself in the finish. 1. Black Magnum is coming back a notch and back to a track he’s raced well at both times he’s turned up here. Not disgraced at Rosehill last time behind Prime Star and is effective with the sting off the track. Well worth another chance.
How to play it: Mr Mosaic WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mr Mosaic wins at Warwick Farm on September 2
|Race 5 – 3:45PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. Night Flyer appeals on an each-way basis in what looks a solidly run race on paper. Settled back and ran on strongly second-up at Randwick and drops in grade for this. When she’s drawn well she’s been able to sit handy and gets that chance here. Sure to run well.
Dangers: 1. Juan Diva was beaten as favourite in a blanket finish here first-up then just found Plaquette a shade strong late at Kensington a month ago. Rarely runs a bad one and will be around the mark again. 9. Harto likely starts short because of the luckless first-up run at Randwick where she blew the start and finished alongside Athiri on the line in the same race as Night Flyer comes through. Where she gets to here from a wide gate is a question. Could win but there’s no value in her. 2. Military Magic didn’t fire in two starts in May but her previous form was three wins and a third so she’s well worth forgiving. Worked home okay in her recent trial and drawn to get a soft run. Capable of featuring.
How to play it: Night Flyer E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Night Flyer runs fifth at Randwick on September 5
|Race 6 – 4:20PM IRON JACK HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
Hard to go away from 1. Big Parade who carried the 62kg to a runaway win over this course two weeks ago. He should find the lead again and there doesn’t appear to be a heap of pressure to keep him overly busy. If that’s how it pans out he’ll likely win again in a race no tougher.
Dangers: 7. Promotions is a Listed winner at 1400m and his only failure last time in was on a heavy track at Group 3 level. Opened that prep with a win and he’s trialled up well enough to say he should make his presence felt late. 12. Geo is an interesting runner resuming and has had a tie-back operation since he failed as a $1.90 favourite at Newcastle in March. Showed plenty of promise in his first prep and looked to trial very well. Watch for any support and react accordingly, he has to go in the chances. 3. Tricky Gal is an honest mare who is unbeaten first-up so stays under some notice. Probably better suited at 1400m or so but appreciated a bit of fire out of a track and comes in well with the claim. Each-way hopes and keep an eye on her for next time.
How to play it: Big Parade WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Big Parade wins at Canterbury on September 9
|Race 7 – 4:55PM TAB HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
4. Kirwan’s Lane looks to have come up well judging by his trials and kicking off at this trip suits. Resumed with a slashing effort at 1200m last prep and kept improving through to a luckless conclusion in June. Should be finishing strongly if he gets a shot at them. Each-way.
Dangers: 2. Kingsheir had his chance up to Saturday company but stayed on well and the winner has won again since so the form is sound. Easy winner in this grade at Kensington prior and with even luck from a sticky draw he’s worth another chance. 1. Knowitall Jack knows one thing and that’s to lead and he should roll across and take it up. If he repeats his effort from two starts back he can give plenty of cheek. 3. This Is So failed out to 2000m last time but was a winner over this course three runs back and no surprise to see him improve with gate one.
How to play it: Kirwan’s Lane E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Kirwan’s Lane runs second in a Randwick trial on September 8