By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:35PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Front Sight is a well bred gelding from the family of Desert War and he looked to be doing it very easily winning his latest trial at Gosford. A little hard to line up but I’m sure he wouldn’t be debuting in town if he wasn’t showing the Lees yard plenty. Keep safe.
Dangers: 3. Emergent probably should have finished a touch closer on debut at Randwick. He over-reacted to making a sharp left at the 300m and took a while to balance up before hitting the line. Specked in betting there too. This race maps poorly for him but sure to be charging home. 7. Kolding performed okay in three starts in the spring against handy opposition. He had some favours in winning his trial and has an awkward gate but rather include than dismiss. 4. Final Award trialled okay behind I Am Zain in December then tested out a bit to win at Randwick on January 11. Has the inside alley and worth including in the chances.
How to play it: Front Sight E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Front Sight wins his latest official trial at Gosford on December 18
|Race 2 - 2:15PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Milunka went down fighting on debut after a wide run and has the chance to go one better back against the fillies. That explains the 4kg weight rise by the way. Punters Intelligence shows she covered an extra 9.2m and ran the second fastest last 200m of 12.63. Expecting her to land just behind a couple of designated on pacers and if that’s the case then she has last call and with a run under her belt can finish over the top.
Dangers: 1. Call Me Royal has shown promise and she resumes following an operation to fix epiglottic entrapment (breathing issue). She ran them ragged in her second trial at Randwick on January 11 and will likely lead this field. No surprise to see her take some running down. 7. Zelrosa led them up on debut back in July at Gosford and weakened late. Beat a small field in her only trial this time in at Rosehill and from gate three should be on the pace. Has a show. 4. Oxidization started 100/1 on debut in the same race as Milunka and she found the line quite nicely into third. Good track would suit her, coming back 50m may not but is in the mix somewhere.
How to play it: Milunka WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Milunka runs a game second at Canterbury on January 9
|Race 3 – 2.50PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
3. Cossetot won on protest over this course two weeks ago and it’s no surprise to see blinkers go on. There’s not a lot of speed here and it wouldn’t surprise to see him press forward and take control of the race in the first few after sitting off them last time. Drops 2kg for taking on older horses but has the upside.
Dangers: 7. Matowi is on the back up after contesting a solid three-year-old race on Saturday won by Vegadaze. He never looked like posing a threat but stuck on okay and he looked good winning fresh at this track so is worth another chance. The stable has a bit of success backing them up. 2. See The Master has threatened to win a race this time in and comes here off a month’s break since a close up seventh back in mid-December on a soft track. Quiet trial since and he’s one to keep very safe. 5. Navigator maps to get a fairly easy lead and if that’s the case he could take running down. Just fair, though, when resuming at Kembla but did have a little company. Can improve.
How to play it: Cossetot WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Cossetot wins on protest at Canterbury on January 9
|Race 4 – 3.25PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Desert Lord has promised plenty in his five starts and this preparation he might well deliver, being his first as a gelding. He showed good speed in winning his Rosehill trial recently and from the outside if he shows any early toe he can put himself within range of the leaders. He’s entitled to go very close in the small field getting 3.5kg of his main rival.
Dangers: 2. You Make Me Smile crossed from the outside to lead and gave nothing else a chance in a big form reversal two weeks ago at this track. Should hold the inside and the lead and if the same horse turns up he’ll be hard to run down. Yet to win in six starts on a good track. 5. Juventus was only beaten two lengths when resuming on Boxing Day and was a drifter on that occasion so keep an eye on betting around him. Drawn to get a nice run and can’t be left out. 4. Grand Finalist couldn’t go with You Make Me Smile first-up and dropped out so it’ll be interesting to see if he’s able to trouble that horse this time around. Surely he’s better than that.
How to play it: Desert Lord WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Desert Lord’s impressive trial win at Rosehill on January 15
|Race 5 – 4.05PM SUMMER RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Common Purpose has bigger goals in mind being on a Country Championships path but he lands in a very winnable race first-up. Drawn the outside but right next to the likely leader so can find easy passage across (on paper at least). He has a great fresh record, he won over 1000m first-up off a 51 week break last time, Hugh Bowman has won on him and should be in the finish.
Dangers: 6. Lucand Lad scrambled home on a heavy track on debut then failed up in class before a spell. First trial back was excellent, the second he was allowed to run and put a huge margin on his rivals. The lead is his if he wants it and he can take running down. Check the market for a push or otherwise too. 1. Nictock has been a bit inconsistent this time in but he does race well here and is down in class on his last couple of trips to town. Drawn to get a perfect run and if he produces his best he’s good enough to win. 4. Legislation has lost me after his battling effort here two weeks ago. He loomed up like he was at least going to run second then the run ended just as quickly. Well drawn and a good track are pluses but I just wonder if he wants it.
How to play it: Common Purpose WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Common Purpose wins a Highway at Rosehill in August
|Race 6 - 4:45PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
6. Savvy Ken was too bad to be true at this track last start he’s worth another chance. Started a short priced favourite and made a short lived dash on the turn before packing up. He did pull up with a poor recovery rate suggesting there may have been an issue. His form was too good prior to that not to have another look at good each-way odds.
Dangers: 2. Zip A Dee Doo Dah has been around the mark in three starts since a Kempsey win in November and he’ll appreciate a class drop on a handy fourth behind Live And Free at Randwick almost a month ago. He was scratched from a couple of engagements over the weekend but has his chance here. 8. Saint Katarina has put two honest efforts together for placings over this course and she’d only have to hold her form to be one of the each-way chances again. 5. Ivy's Court backs up from Friday night where she was a drifter in betting on a good 3 and battled away fairly. Soft track winner beating Saint Katarina last time so any sting out would help.
How to play it: Savvy Ken E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Savvy Ken’s easy Hawkesbury win back in December
|Race 7 - 5:20PM 2019 MEMBERSHIP HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
1. Aperitif has the form on the board from her easy first-up win at Canterbury two weeks ago to suggest if the same horse turns up she’s the one to beat again. Easily accounted for a subsequent winner and maps to get a similar, if not better, run despite drawing wide. Only query is both her wins have been first-up. Otherwise, she’s hard to knock.
Dangers: 6. Transmitter has some nice form around her from chasing home a couple of smart ones at Canterbury on January 4 though she was never going to beat them. Lightly raced and is the one on the way up so commands some respect. 7. Aliferous will be better over a bit more ground but she did win on debut at 1200m. She’ll get back and runs on, not sure what to make of her trials but like to include her as a knockout chance. 8. Alnaas ran on from the back behind Aperitif when resuming and something similar can be expected here. If she can settle that little bit closer she could take more of a hand in the finish with the run under the belt.
How to play it: Aperitif WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Aperitif wins easily first-up at Canterbury on January 9