By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM HEADWATER @ VINERY HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Aeecee Beau can kick us off with a win, he was super impressive on debut in a pretty handy 1000m sprint at Randwick where he was run off his feet midrace but was strongest late. He clocked the fastest last 600m of the race of 33.07 (Punter's Intelligence). From the inside gate and up in distance he will either lead or be right there and is clearly on top.
Dangers: 2. Kordia didn’t have any support at his first outing here two weeks ago but railed through around the turn and chased hard to run Discharged to half a length. If he can improve on that then he’s a big threat. 10. Vaporizing hasn’t raced beyond 1000m as yet but his second-up run suggested he’s looking for a bit further after settling midfield and hitting the line beaten a length at Kembla. Probably more depth in this one but each-way chances. 1. Bigboyroy comes through the same race as Kordia where he appeared to have his chance in running third. He’ll be a bit fitter with three months between runs and has drawn kindly so he could lift but he has to find a length or so.
How to play it: Aeecee Beau WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Aeecee Beau runs third on debut at Randwick on May 4
|Race 2 - 1:25PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
12. L’Cosmo appeals each-way in a race with a few question marks. She was well supported on debut back in December but seemed at sea on a heavy track. Her recent trial was more than handy and she’s drawn nicely. Well bred filly and no surprise to see her in the finish.
Dangers: 8. Rockarosa is out of a dual G1 winning mare and while she was shaken up a little in her trial she won it in very good style over 799m. This sort of trip is much more her go fresh on pedigree and she’s an upset chance for mine. 2. Maddi Rocks had every chance at her first start here two weeks ago and was no match for California Zimbol. No harder here, though, and with that under her belt she commands some respect. Perhaps a touch under the odds. 7. Palurien saw no daylight at all in her first trial then an even effort without being tested in her second. Betting some pointer but rather keep her safe. Also respecting 4. Born To Play who has gone missing since an excellent trial six weeks ago and 9. Saigon who comes through the Rockarosa trial and was given an easy time.
How to play it: L’Cosmo E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
L’Cosmo runs third in a Randwick trial on May 6
|Race 3 – 2.00PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
6. Belladeel failed badly first-up but the race was too short and he had a tough run so prepared to overlook it. Since that run he’s been gelded and was given a very quiet trial to pass his stewards order. Much better suited at the 1250m and while it’s a punt to forgive him for last start he is worth another chance.
Dangers: 3. Bare Naked Lady looks a big danger if she can get the right run on the pace. Very game two starts back at Randwick then up in grade at Scone she sat outside the winner but either found 1400m too hard, the class too tough or a combination. Respect here. 5. Zavance is capable of an upset fresh if there’s a bit of speed on here, which is possible. She won at a mile before a spell and worked home nicely enough in her only trial. Keep in mind. 4. Notation is an on pacer who hasn’t raced since December when runner-up over 1400m at Flemington. No official trials but she did contest a jump out on May 5 and was given a bit of test in that gallop. Only failure was at Listed level so she’s in the mix.
How to play it: Belladeel E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Belladeel’s quiet trial at Rosehill on May 13
|Race 4 – 2.35PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
9. Austria is a worthy favourite and the horse to beat but just the small concern is whether she’s one dimensional or can be a little more prominent in a race with questionable speed on paper. Nice effort in this class first-up then made a long run from well back at Scone, clocking a race best 12.21 for the last 200m (Punter's Intelligence). Back to mares grade and entitled to go close.
Dangers: 4. Waruna had excuses last start at this track when she was squeezed out at the start and didn’t get into the race at any stage after that. Picked up a few lengths when the race was over but best to overlook. Nice effort second-up and if she can repeat that she’s in the finish. 3. The Closer is a huge query. She was beaten 45 lengths first-up at Warrnambool as a short priced favourite and the stewards reported she pulled up with an irregular heart beat. Go back three starts and she was close up in a G2 fillies race at Flemington. Can race forward and rather include her than dismiss on one bad run. 2. Bella Success ran on into a place in a similar race two starts back then back to 1400m and up in class but she caught the eye with a luckless sixth at Rosehill on Saturday. On the back up and more than capable of winning if the race pans out for her.
How to play it: Austria WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Austria runs third at Scone on May 10
|Race 5 – 3.10PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
2. Metamorphic is very much a dry tracker and if he gets the early luck from a tricky gate he will be very hard to beat. He has the early speed to position up and there’s some pace drawn out wide with him. Raced well at this course and class last prep and his trial says he’s come back well. Strong claims.
Dangers: 9. Medovina has the advantage of 5kg less than Metamorphic but at the same time there’s not a lot of evidence that she’s looking for 1250m after peaking fresh at 1150m then just working home okay back 50m last time. That said she’s the logical danger. 3. Forever Newyork was no match for Kolding here two weeks ago at his first run since February but he’s a consistent type and did manage a win over this course on a heavy track three runs back. Rarely far away and while he needs some luck he can’t be left out. 4. Rafha’s Choice lumped a big weight with ease to win at the Wagga carnival last start and he hasn’t been far away at this level previously. Another drawn wide who probably goes forward and is an each-way chance.
How to play it: Metamorphic WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Metamorphic wins a strong trial at Rosehill on May 13
|Race 6 – 3.45PM WINTER RACING HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Be Mindful has had excuses at his last two starts and he strikes a race with fewer chances than last start over this course. Had a checkered path in that race two weeks ago and kept coming, he will need a bit of luck from what looks a tricky gate but on good tracks he’s very consistent and should be in the finish.
Dangers: 8. Warset is an interesting runner who is also coming off an unlucky effort, his a closing fourth at Newcastle after he was badly held up early in the straight. Looks a bit one dimensional but if he gets clear air he has a strong finish and could measure up. 4. C’est Davinchi improved second-up when chasing Kolding into second place and that was at an unsuitable trip for him. Enjoys Canterbury and the 1550m and is more than capable of winning this if he gets some breaks. 6. Sonaree has raced handy in two second placing since an all the way Geelong win and will put himself in the first few here. Down in the weights after the claim and is one of the chances.
How to play it: Be Mindful E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Stewards vision of Be Mindful’s second at Canterbury on May 8
|Race 7 - 4:20PM CANTERBURY LEAGUE CLUB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
12. Savigne is still a maiden but the form around her says she’s good enough to break through out of her grade. Closed off well in a strong form race two starts ago then may have beaten herself at Hawkesbury as a short priced favourite. Confident she can win with even luck.
Dangers: 7. Hostwin Epanoui has put a couple of handy runs together and while back slightly in trip on his last start third at Warwick Farm he’s drawn well and another placing is within his reach. 5. Lady Evelyn attacked the line strongly second-up but was never in the race as favourite at Newcastle last time. She’s better than that and is one of the each-way chances. 6. Seababe won a similar race to this back in February, latest form mixed but she was back in trip last time at Warwick Farm. Drawn well, in-form apprentice rides and is not without a chance.
How to play it: Savigne WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Savigne’s second in good company at Randwick on April 22