By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Kiku was unfancied on debut last week but she showed plenty of ability as she ran on strongly along the fence to go down narrowly. Quick turn around but extra 100m looks a plus, if she can back up that effort she’s the one to beat.
Dangers: 3. Elizabeel was well fancied at her debut but thought she had excuses sitting without cover and on a heavy track so prepared to forgive that. Trialled very well leading in to that so it would be no surprise if she improved sharply. 2. Bargain is a well bred filly who trialled quite nicely on the synthetic earlier this month. Previous trial was a quiet one so keep an eye on betting. 7. Super One Susie has always trialled like a nice filly but she’s struck wet tracks in her two starts so we’ve probably not seen a true indication of her best. May have the chance to show it here.
How to play it: Kiku WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Kiku runs second at Kensington on April 15
|Race 2 - 1:25PM TOO DARN HOT @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Inveigle is a nicely bred colt out of a G1 winner and his trials point to a strong debut. Sat wide in the latest trial and finished with plenty of purpose seemingly with a bit in hand. If he brings that to the races he’s a big chance.
Dangers: 1. Achiever was scratched at the barriers on Easter Monday so hasn’t raced since a nice debut behind Rock My Wand on a very heavy track. Shapes as though a firmer track will suit and from the draw gets every chance. 5. Stoltz brushed home well in a synthetic trial at Warwick Farm and he was close up in a Rosehill trial on the grass before that. In top stable and is one to keep an eye on. 8. Vucetich worked home from well back without threatening on a heavy track first-up so he may have had an excuse there. In the market there so obviously expected to run well, and is perhaps worth forgiving.
How to play it: Inveigle WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Inveigle wins a trial at Randwick on April 9
|Race 3 – 2.00PM STAR TURN @ VINERY HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
7. Perfect Impression went under as favourite second-up at Newcastle where she was stalked by the winner. Was 1200m to a mile there after a solid fresh run at the Farm. Nicely drawn and should be in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Epiline had some support second-up and tried hard though couldn’t dash on a heavy track. Sound effort to run third there and while staying around the mile the better ground is in her favour. 1. Activation contested the same race and was all at sea on the heavy, his prior form says he’s up to finding her best. Ran on nicely into fourth in a good form race before that so give him another look. 6. Pizzly ran well three starts back, just finishing ahead of Perfect Impression at 1200m, but she’s disappointed in two heavy track runs since. Another who could improve.
How to play it: Perfect Impression WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Perfect Impression runs second at Newcastle on March 31
|Race 4 – 2.35PM IRON JACK HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
1. Harpo Marx was a small drifter first-up in Australia and was always on the back foot. He struck a heavy track there but liked the way he hit the line when the race was over. In a wide open race he must have upside and if he does he’s a good chance.
Dangers: 4. Maybach just battled first-up at a mile on a heavy track but he’s a lot better suited out in trip on a firmer track. Might be a run away from striking his best form but wouldn’t shock if he gives a big sight. 6. Flinders ran right up to his first-up effort when he broke through on a heavy track two weeks ago. Has to take that next step but he’s all upside you’d think. Can win, just seems a little unders. 5. Accountability is fitter for two runs back and found himself detached from the field before working home okay late at Warwick Farm over a mile. Extra trip and firmer track give him the chance to show something.
How to play it: Harpo Marx E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Harpo Marx runs fourth at Hawkesbury on April 4
|Race 5 – 3.10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Romantic Whisper wasn’t disgraced despite being run down on a heavy track last start. Dominant before that, firmer track suits and should get control in front. If that’s the case she’s well worth another chance.
Dangers: 3. Regimental Band hit the line strongly from well back at Newcastle but outclassed in Group company on wet tracks either side. This is her chance to find her best back onto a good track. 2. Loveseat resumed with a very nice effort over a mile at Warwick Farm and looks set for a good preparation. This might be a touch short now but wouldn’t be leaving her out. 6. Head Noises is an interesting runner first-up off a quiet trial. In good hands so if there's support she could run well.
How to play it: Romantic Whisper WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Romantic Whisper runs third at Warwick Farm on April 13
|Race 6 - 3:45PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
6. Lancer is bursting to win a race and stepping up in trip might be the key after three strong finishing placings at 1200m. May settle a little closer from the good gate up in trip and this looks a winnable race.
Dangers: 4. The Cartoonist resumed with a promising second at Wyong a couple of weeks ago and he tends to improve into his preparation. Should be right on the speed here and is an each-way chance. 1. Come Along is racing very well without winning and just seems to lack that kockout punch when he’s in a striking position. That was the case at Warwick Farm last start. Settles off the speed and will be running on. 3. Whispered didn’t seem to love the heavy in the same race when right in the market. Too good at Kembla first-up. Prefers a firmer track so he’s entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Lancer WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Lancer runs third at Warwick Farm on April 8
|Race 7 - 4:20PM TAB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Adelong is potentially the best horse in this race and she's been the beneficiary of an unusual number of scratchings. Still drawn the outside but six is better than 12 and she’s a go-forward horse who can offset it. Huge in defeat before a break and did it quite well in her recent trial. Go well. Read trainer Brad Widdup's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Blazing Miss won first-up last time in and is a talented filly on her day. Plenty to like about her two trials back and she’s drawn to get a nice run just off them. Definite chance. 10. Lesage comes off a soft Class 2 win on a heavy track at Hawkesbury to take on a couple of proven city class performers. On the up and she gets her shot. 1. Oakfield Twilight is a better horse than his form suggests and comes here fresh since a failure at Group 3 level. Form last prep is good enough to see him feature.
How to play it: Adelong WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Adelong wins a trial at Hawkesbury on April 6
|Race 8 - 4:55PM RANVET POWER FORMULA HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Beach Baby impressed first-up off a 13 month break at Goulburn then a month between runs and struck a heavy track but was game at the Farm. Goes forward from the outside and the map looks okay for him. Take beating.
Dangers: 13. Jazette had some support and went down fighting first-up behind Tricky Gal on heavy ground. That was her first go in the wet and she’ll be fitter. Can see her getting a nice run on the speed and is a big chance. 8. Monte Ditto has been freshened up since a luckless unplaced effort at Kembla a month ago, a run that should be overlooked. Trialled since then and drawn perfectly. Go well. 4. Dunbrody Power hasn’t run a bad race this time in and this is the type of race she can fire in. Tried hard in the heavy behind Tricky Gal and a good to soft track is ideal so she should be competitive.
How to play it: Beach Baby WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Beach Baby runs third at Warwick Farm on April 13