By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:35PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Kahuka shapes as a big improver on an even debut at Hawkesbury where Maurice’s Medad had them running from the start and he held his ground to run third. Drawn one and up to 1550m in a race with not a lot of pressure he can get comfortable. Good chance.
Dangers: 5. Peekays Legacy may not be helped by the outside gate in the small field but you had to like the way he found the line first-up at Newcastle over 1400m. The winner of that race is a bit smart and he’d have some upside. 1. Yangtze Rapids may well get away with one of these races sometime soon but he does seem to lack a bit of zip when it’s needed and he’s now up to start number eight. Every chance as favourite last time over this course and will be thereabouts again. 6. The Artefact hasn’t been disgraced in her two starts over shorter trips coming from well back into around midfield. If there’s an upset it could well be her.
How to play it: Kahuka WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kahuka runs third at Hawkesbury on April 4
|Race 2 – 1.10PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Stavanger is a big market watch on debut with no public trials since her only outing back in November where she brushed home under no pressure behind Fake Love and Ashema. Nicely bred filly and has to be respected.
Dangers: 8. Xtremetime kept coming at her debut back on Boxing Day beaten two lengths by Rocket Tiger and her two trials back have been interesting. Went around the outside fence to win the first then stoked up late in the second. Looks set to run well. 3. Graphite Mist has shaped up well enough in her two trials without being right in the finish of them and is another to consult the market about. In top stable so if there’s any support it’d be worth following as there’s likely some ability in the locker. 1. Morioka worked home nicely at her only start to place behind Four Moves Ahead back in January. First trial was solid but the second a bit of a worry. Has the credentials to be in the finish and, again, check betting for a pointer.
How to play it: Stavanger WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Stavanger runs third in a trial at Rosehill on November 30
|Race 3 – 1:50PM DARLEY 2021 ROSTER HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Cork Harbour made an even debut behind Remarque back in January and has been given some time. Comes through a synthetic trial which is always a query but a couple of stablemates are scratched and he's drawn well, and blinkers go on so pay to keep safe.
Dangers: 9. Koondeeman is a well bred gelding on debut and he was run down by Giannis in his second trial this time in. No knock on what he’s shown in heavy track trials and he could be a big improver on race day on top of the ground. 1. Astrologer wasn’t far from them in three starts late last year in good two-year-old company including a debut third in the Breeders’ Plate. Got the job done in his second trial this time in and back to a maiden he gets his chance. 12. Otelo hasn't been far away at all four starts and just weakened late on a heavy track last time. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Cork Harbour WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Cork Harbour runs second in a trial at Warwick Farm on April 1
|Race 4 – 2.30PM RANVET HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
8. Wild Irish is as good a chance as any in an open race and there was plenty to like about her first-up fourth over 1200m at this track. She does improve with racing, extra trip is a big plus and while her strike rate needs improving she has a show here.
Dangers: 2. Fifteen Aria was a little unimpressive in her narrow first-up win at Hawkesbury in a Class 1 where she got an inside run and just held on. Will be fitter for that so she can lift and is one of the main chances, if a bit short. 6. Azarmin found herself way too far back in a Provincial Championships Qualifier at Kembla a couple of weeks ago and did a good job to run fifth. She was competitive in this sort of company prior to that and with the run under her belt, six weeks between runs last time, wouldn’t be leaving her out. 1. Tochi generally takes a run to hit some form but will land right on the speed from gate one. Has a good record at Canterbury and if left alone could give some cheek.
How to play it: Wild Irish E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Wild Irish runs fifth at Canterbury on April 7
|Race 5 – 3:10PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
8. Either Oar is a lot better than what we saw first-up at Kensington and she’s been back to the trials to right the ship. Showed a heap of promise last time in including a win over Art Cadeau and a handy effort in a Group 3. Fitter and should fare a lot better.
Dangers: 5. Van Giz was last on the turn and worked through the field to run fourth, beaten a length, here two weeks ago but is drawn to have a much better set up. Came off their backs to win first-up and expecting her to settle in the first four and be hard to beat. 2. Ocean Emperor looked to have his chance second-up behind Salina Dreaming at Warwick Farm but on his first-up run behind Lost And Running he’s a big threat. Entitled to another chance. 6. Mollycoddle enjoyed a very good prep over the late spring and early summer and resumes with a nice quiet trial under her belt. May just find this short but whatever she does she’ll lift on sharply next time.
How to play it: Either Oar E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Either Oar wins a trial at Kembla on April 7
|Race 6 – 3:45PM ROBRICK LODGE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
8. Shibli should bounce off a sound first-up run over a trip well short of his best and if he does he is a big chance. Beaten less than a length over 1200m off a 14 month break, and trip to Australia, where he just kept coming. Extra trip a plus and any pace on a bonus. May be one run off but respect.
Dangers: 2. Montserrat didn’t have a great run first-up last prep then raced consistently up to this level. His trials have been excellent leading in and he should be handy to the speed if not setting it. Expecting a bold first-up run here. 5. Blesk atoned for an unlucky second-up defeat with a strong win at Warwick Farm at a mile where barrier one was a big asset to him. Not drawn so well here so likely concedes a bigger start but he’s hard to ignore. 6. Tectonicus wasn’t troubled in beating three rivals on a heavy track at Wyong two weeks ago and that win will likely be a big confidence booster for him. One of the chances.
How to play it: Shibli E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Shibli runs fifth at Canterbury on April 7
|Race 7 – 4:20PM TAB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
6. Avion Fury easily won a similar race to this three starts back, albeit at big odds, then took on Group 3 company in two subsequent runs. Not disgraced in either of them, particularly the latter in a race not run to suit backmarkers. If he can hold his form he’s hard to beat. Read trainer Glen Thompson's comments here.
Dangers: 4. Karmazone is looking for the extra trip and shapes as a big improver on his first-up effort in a Provincial Championships Qualifier where he made some ground from last. Has a low percentage racing style but his best efforts around this distance range have him right in the mix. 8. Solar Apex hit the line well when resuming at 1550m then led them up and boxed on okay to hold second at Newcastle. Up in grade but gets 4kg of relief and closer to peak now. Should be around the mark. 7. War Baron broke through three runs ago at Hawkesbury then backed it up with a close second at this level. Latest up to 2200m and just battled so shorter trip might be to his liking. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Avion Fury WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Avion Fury runs fifth at Rosehill on April 3
|Race 8 – 4:55PM XXXX HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
16. Fastconi returns as a gelding and with two sneakily good trials under his belt for a big first-up run. He has shown promise, tends to race handy and has drawn to be able to do that. Can’t see anything else but him running well fresh.
Dangers: 4. Rammstein resumes without a public trial but that’s not unusual for the stable. He was honest last time in measuring up in Saturday races in the late spring before a wet track failure at the end of the prep. Pay to keep him safe. 6. Kobe Rocks hasn’t raced since a sound win at his Australian debut at Kembla, despite drifting in betting, back in November and his two recent trials say he’s come back in good order. No surprise to see him feature here. 10. Born A Warrior has the blinkers back on after a close second at Warwick Farm three weeks ago. Racing well but his strike rate is becoming a worry. Has to be included in the main chances.
How to play it: Fastconi E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Fastconi’s latest trial at Rosehill on March 29