By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM HARRY ANGEL @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Camerlengo looks your typical professional type from the Waterhouse/Bott yard and he’s done the job well enough in his trials to say he’ll run well. Gets first use of the track from gate one, likely leads and will take running down.
Dangers: 5. Sixgun is a full brother to Splintex on debut and he’s another that has been given a bit of extra time. Looked super in his first trial in May then 11 days later on the synthetic he raced with his mouth open and didn’t fire. Likely to press forward and pay to keep safe. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here. 6. Covent Garden is the half-sister to Winx and she has a heavy track trial win from Canterbury on May 29 to her name. Seemed to get through the ground well there and from gate two you’d imagine she’ll get a nice run just off the speed. She’s not Winx but definitely worth watching. 4. Rocketing By caught the eye on debut at Newcastle and you'd imagine the 1100m will be more up his alley. No wet exposure but in the mix.
How to play it: Camerlengo WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Camerlengo wins a trial at Randwick on May 26
|Race 2 – 2.00PM DRINKWISE PLATE (1250 METRES)|
2. California August is proven on a heavy track and despite being first-up this looks a winnable race for him. Fitter for winning a synthetic trial recently. Raced well without winning last time in, has the draw to be handy and is entitled to be in the finish.
Dangers: 10. Tolerate hasn’t raced since an eye-catching debut at Grafton back in April. But she’s trialled strongly at Canterbury on a heavy track a couple of weeks ago and is one to keep an eye on. Drawn out but imagine she goes back and plays for luck. 9. Irish Angel was a beaten favourite here first-up then went to Kembla on a heavy track and finished fifth at $1.80. She did step away slowly there and made her run on the inside which was a no-go zone. So inclined to be forgiving of that. 3. Peralta has some ability and worth a look at his first run for Clare Cunningham. Ridden up a bit in his heavy track trial here two weeks ago but could easily place.
How to play it: California August WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
California August wins a trial at Randwick on May 26
|Race 3 – 2:35PM RANVET SALKAVITE HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
5. Lady Highly is coming along well this time in and she should just about be at her top after her closing second to Milunka here two weeks ago. Extra trip a big plus and proved herself in the heavy last time. Barrier one could be a plus as well. Good chance.
Dangers: 2. Monsieur Sisu was ridden differently to what we’re used to seeing here last time and he was game after tracking wide throughout under a big weight. Probable leader here and if he gets control, we know how much he loves the wet, he could pinch it. 1. Our Gravano has been sound in two runs back on good tracks and does tend to prefer a wet surface. Worked home well behind Elaborate at Newcastle second-up, and that form has held up in town, and he can be expected to run well. 4. Monasterio disappointed at Kensington last week but there was some merit in his previous effort on a heavy track here a week earlier. Blinkers go back on so he’s entitled to one more chance.
How to play it: Lady Highly E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lady Highly runs second at Canterbury on May 27
|Race 4 – 3:10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
8. Mummentum sets up a lot better here than she did over this course two weeks ago where she settled back and finished midfield, and she’s 2kg better off here compared to the winner. Drawn to race handier and with that heavy track run under her belt if she can take up a position she’s a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Chalmers can mix his form at times but when he strikes a wet track he usually runs well. Did just that here two weeks ago chasing home Chocolatier. Not drawn as well to get that soft run but has to be in the mix. 7. Milunka had things made to order for her scoring first-up over this course and she can only be fitter. The barrier makes it a different kettle of fish so it’ll be interesting to see where she ends up in the run. Under the odds but a genuine chance. 3. Mubariz might be a risk on a heavy track looking at his first-up failure and two subsequent improved efforts on good ground. If he does get through it he’s in the finish somewhere, interesting that James McDonald sticks with him over Milunka too.
How to play it: Mummentumn E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mummentum runs fifth to Milunka at Canterbury on May 27
|Race 5 – 3:45PM YES YES YES @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
8. D’Oro Rain is resuming and his record says he’s more a second-up horse but he has performed well in the wet which he didn’t strike last time in. Took on open class horses in his recent heavy track trial and was okay, nice winner of his first trial back. Has to be a good chance in the small field.
Dangers: 7. Lakia led all the way to win first-up here back in August then ran well behind Subpoenaed before failing at her last run. Trials have been fine, small query on a heavy track but probably attempts to lead here and can give a sight. 10. Estrado doesn't win out of turn but tends to run well in the wet. Had support last week in a similar race at Kensington and wasn't disgraced. Can show up. 5. Invinciano is probably better suited over more ground and this is her first heavy track attempt but she's good enough when right and any support would be significant.
How to play it: D'Oro Rain E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
D'Oro Rain runs fourth in a Canterbury trial on May 29
|Race 6 – 4:20PM EXCEEDANCE @ VINERY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
12. Van Giz is bursting to win a race and she might have the right scenario to get it done this time. No luck at all at Scone then on a heavy at Rosehill last time tried hard behind Mo’s Crown, who had full control in front. Only has to hold that form, and from gate two should be right behind what could be a good speed. Plenty to like.
Dangers: 8. Lillemor led all the way and just managed to hold them off scoring here two weeks ago and will carry the same weight after the claim. Likely to attempt similar tactics and she will give a good sight, though could have competition up front this time. 5. Bombasay is a consistent type and handles the wet well. Draw might be a bit sticky but smaller field helps and he's in the mix. 2. Cristal Breeze is an interesting import at his local debut. No wet track form but the fact he's here suggests the stable thinks he'll be okay. Watch betting.
How to play it: Van Giz WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Van Giz runs third at Rosehill on May 30