By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
R4: 2-5-4-1 BB
|Race 1 – 6:15PM FRIDAY NIGHT RACING HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
4. Lady Cuvee backed up her first-up win with a solid third on a heavy track over a mile at Warwick Farm. She’ll eat up the 1900m and has come up with a perfect draw for her to settle a little closer. Tackles a similar race and drops in weight with the claims. Sure to take beating.
Dangers: 7. Savigne hasn’t been far from Lady Cuvee in their two clashes and is a logical danger to her. Started favourite last start on the heavy track and probably didn’t handle it so well. Another who should relish the trip and expect her to run well. 1. Silent Explorer has appreciated the step up in distance with a couple of game placings over a mile at the Farm on good and wet tracks. He will push forward as usual and if given control can take running down. 3. Inherit took on older horses last week over this course and certainly didn’t disgrace running third. He’s had a few chances of late but is in the mix again.
How to play it: Lady Cuvee E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lady Cuvee runs third at Warwick Farm on January 28 with Silent Explorer second and Savigne fourth
|Race 2 - 6:45PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
1. Rock won’t be a maiden for much longer if his first-up effort in the Magic Millions Maiden a few weeks back is any guide. Drew wide and settled well back but charged into second place. Drawn out a bit here too but a long run to the first turn and he should get his chance.
Dangers: 2. Front Sight has the advantage of the inside barrier and with some good form through his debut second here on January 23 he’s a big stumbling block. Trainer said prior the horse would improve with the run and he was only run down late. Blinkers go on and commands respect. 3. Sister Sledge hasn’t raced since April but showed some class with a placing in a very strong Reisling Stakes on debut. Two trials have been very good behind a horse who ran well midweek. Keep safe. 4. Rancho Notorious is a get back-run on type and he'll do that again here. If they overdo it things up front he'll be the one storming late.
How to play it: Rock WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rock runs into second at the Gold Coast on January 12
|Race 3 – 7.15PM RISE UP THIS AUTUMN HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Lucand Lad was solid in betting first-up and sat outside the leader before shaking it off but was nosed out by Common Purpose on the line. Fitter for that and drawn well so whether he leads or trails he should have every hope.
Dangers: 8. Decor is an up and comer who has been a drifter at both starts but never looked in doubt when leading all the way at Wyong second-up. A month between runs and a trial and from the inside alley she’s worth keeping in mind. 1. Sheriff is coming through the grades strongly and will likely look to lead again. He’s been far too good for moderate opposition in his last two and it’ll be interesting to see how he measures up. 5. Riviera was probably out of her depth first-up behind Star Fall but this is an easier target and she will be fitter. No surprise at all to see her feature.
How to play it: Lucand Lad WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucand Lad goes down narrowly at Canterbury on January 23
|Race 4 – 7.45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Bull Market has found his best form with a nice effort at Warwick Farm followed by a soft kill at Gosford where he was clearly superior. This race sets up pretty well for him, drawn to be on the handy side and he’s hard fit. One of the better chances on the night and he’s entitled to go very close.
Dangers: 5. Beauty Kanas finally stuck the head out to win one over this distance at the Kensington track and has been kept on the fresh side with a month between runs. Consistent mare who will put herself up there and be competitive again. 4. Carluca is fitter for two runs back and he stuck on well second-up at the Farm after being on the speed. He generally runs well at this track and trip and he’s an each-way hope. 1. Mr Gustavo brings some mixed interstate form into this race and is a little hard to line up. Didn’t threaten at Caulfield but was better at Sandown running on into fourth. Best form is around this distance range so is entitled to show something.
How to play it: Bull Market WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Bull Market is far too good at Gosford on January 30
|Race 5 – 8.15PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Symi looked good winning over this course on debut and wasn’t disgraced up in class in a solid field at Randwick before being thrown into Group races with mixed results. Won her second trial well enough and has the racing style to be prominent throughout. If she is solid in the market she will go close.
Dangers: 1. Sedition is a tough campaigner who tried hard behind You Make Me Smile a couple of weeks back, Desert Lord was unplaced in that race, and he should get some favours from gate two with the claim. Doesn’t win out of turn but looks a threat. 9. Romani Girl is a big market watch as she showed a lot of promise in her first preparation with two wins and a third. Quiet trial at Rosehill and wasn’t beaten far so if there is the support for her she could be too good over a trip a little short of her best. 10. Tootz is another to keep an eye on first-up for Danny Williams. She has a consistent record and is well drawn and could be headed for the Country Championships. Each-way and one for the trifectas.
How to play it: Symi WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Symi wins an eventful trial at Rosehill on January 29
|Race 6 - 8:45PM CANTERBURY NIGHT SPRINT SERIES HEAT 4 (1100 METRES)|
4. Invincible Gangsta was never going to be beaten at Gosford last start, sprinting his last 200m in 11.58 (Punters Intelligence), and that backed up a nice first-up effort at Warwick Farm. This race could set up nicely for him again from a middle gate with some speed for him to track and if that materialises he can be too strong again late.
Dangers: 6. Miss Celebration won well first-up at Randwick then handy but faded out up in class at Rosehill. Sent back to the trials and was strong so down in class and drawn to lead or stalk she has every chance. 2. Catmosphere is an interesting runner and he is more than capable of being competitive. Mixed his form last time in but tends to run well fresh and is fitter for two trials. Each-way. 5. Virgilio led and gave a good sight at the Farm a few weeks back in his best effort this time in. Not really any harder here, it’s a matter of how the race is run for him. So throw him in somewhere.
How to play it: Invincible Gangsta WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Invincible Gangsta wins easily at Gosford on January 30
|Race 7 - 9:15PM KIA COL CRAWFORD EVENING STAR (1550 METRES)|
Wide open race. Settled on 4. Wayanka though I’m wary he hasn’t won since November 2017. Resumed with a sound fourth in a good benchmark race at Randwick running fourth and he does have the advantage of being an on-pacer in a race with not a lot of speed. He needs to back it up but on his best efforts last time in this is a good chance for him to break through.
Dangers: 11. Chalk had some favours with a dream run through from last along the rails last week but he put a much needed win on the board running down a gallant Judge Judi. He’s a versatile type and has to be an each-way chance again. 7. Pipeline ran a very nice race first-up in a strong field at Randwick then a shade disappointing at Rosehill when always well back. His second-up form is a bit average so worth forgiving and can expect him to improve. 1. Trafalgar started huge odds but went forward and gave a lot of cheek before holding on for third at Randwick a month ago. Back slightly in distance but placed over this course three back. Worth including in the chances.
How to play it: Wayanka WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Wayanka runs fourth first-up at Randwick on January 26
|Race 8 - 9:45PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
7. Welcome Art is the new horse on the scene in an even race and is in outstanding form in the country with a narrow win at Orange in a decent field before an easy Cowra Cup win up to 1700m. Comes into this race in peak order, drawn to be wherever Billy Owen wants and if he’s good enough he can win. Certainly an each-way chance.
Dangers: 3. San Francisco is racing too well to ignore with a win and a third over this course at his last couple. Held his ground well when third three weeks ago and with a bit of luck from the barrier can be in the finish. 5. Fabricator gave a sight when able to lead here two weeks back and was just run down late by Ivy’s Court. He’ll be up there again and no reason he can’t be in the placings once more. 1. Our Gravano comes through the same race and he worked through on the fence into fourth in an improved showing third-up. Might want a little further but a chance to build on that last start effort.
How to play it: Welcome Art E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Welcome Art easily wins the Cowra Cup on January 20