By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM PAUL LAHOOD FUNERAL SERVICES HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Forbes has something of a boom on him and is headed for a Golden Slipper qualifier if he wins here. Bumped into the smart Anamoe on debut and showed his recent barrier woes are behind him with a trial win last weekend. Has the job from a wide gate but looks a quality colt and while on the short side price wise is the one to beat.
Dangers: 13. Conrad makes his debut on the back of two on pace trial wins at Gosford and Wyong and from a soft gate expect him to be somewhere on the speed. Wouldn’t shock if he runs a cheeky race. 10. Jal Lei has only had the one trial but she worked through the pack late for a nice enough second at Rosehill a couple of weeks ago. 8. Camino Real has recent race form on her side, though she does get back in the field, and could easily feature.
How to play it: Forbes WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Forbes wins a trial at Goulburn on February 21
|Race 2 – 6.45PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Orpheum is a good each-way chance if she can reproduce her first-up run. Ran on from last into third behind Rocketing By then thrown into the G2 Light Fingers and while safely held she did make some late ground. Gate one and right back in class, she can easily show up at odds.
Dangers: 4. Jenga lived right up to her $1.60 quote on debut leading all the way at Warwick Farm a month ago. Wasn’t overly pressured in the run there but did put a gap on them. Promising and logically hard to beat. 2. Patrolling is another with plenty of upside resuming since a third at this track in September when $2.80 favourite. Trialled twice and with any luck from the gate can feature in the finish. 3. Investor was impressive winning a maiden here last month then backed it up with a handy third two weeks back. Drawn well and if he holds form he can finish around the money again.
How to play it: Orpheum E/W ($13 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Orpheum runs third at Randwick on January 23
|Race 3 – 7:15PM IRON JACK HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
1. Mightybeel is coming off a maiden win but it was a super impressive one over 1550m here two weeks ago. Made a long run and just powered away. The fourth horse has since won. Up in class, weight and distance but looks hard to hold out.
Dangers: 4. Van Gogh is racing well this prep with a first-up win at 1100m and a strong third-up win over a mile at Goulburn. Will be on the speed and can’t see any reason why he won’t be competitive. 2. Duty chased the smart Exoboom two back then proved too strong out to 1800m at Hawkesbury and the form has held up okay out of it. Might need the luck from a wide gate but otherwise a good chance. 6. Yiyi ran into third behind Duty two starts ago then every chance when third on a heavy track at Newcastle. Drawn nicely and is in the mix.
How to play it: Mightybeel WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mightybeel wins at Canterbury on February 12
|Race 4 – 7:45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
6. Born A Warrior is close to a win, and overdue one too, after two nice efforts since a spell. Run off his feet first-up before closing late then race not run to suit when third at Warwick Farm last time. Just needs even luck in running and he can break through.
Dangers: 1. Exceltic will appreciate a soft track but he has run very well at his past two on good ground. Went down narrowly at Warwick Farm a couple of weeks ago, draws well and again has the claim. Plenty to like about his chances. 3. What Could Be always goes around double figure odds but has hit the line with purpose in both runs back from a spell at this track. Will get back but more than capable of upsetting them. 4. Jailbreak gets his Country Championships campaign underway here and is fitter for two recent trials out at Dubbo. Can be competitive at this level with even luck but expect him to peak at Coonamble in a couple of weeks.
How to play it: Born A Warrior WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Born A Warrior runs third at Warwick Farm on February 10
|Race 5 – 8:15PM M & G SEAFOOD HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
7. Mars was far from disgraced running third to Marsannay at Kensington third-up after the leader had a picnic in front. Very interested to see how he fares out to the 1900m now and if they are running on then he’ll be right in the finish.
Dangers: 2. Major Artie is enjoying a great preparation with three wins from his last four including a game on pace effort at 1550m here two weeks ago. Will roll forward onto the pace and is hard to ignore. 3. Dalmatia Prince showed improvement third-up when out to this distance last week as he ran on into third behind Silent Agenda. On the back up and now he’s hit form he should hold it. 4. Fill Of Fun had some support at odds and gave a decent sight in front as she held on for third at Kensington last time out. Each-way.
How to play it: Mars E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mars runs third at Kensington on February 17
|Race 6 – 8:45PM KIA CANTERBURY NIGHT SPRINT SERIES FINAL (1100 METRES)|
11. Najmah is a very promising filly who has been dominant winning at both her starts to date. Beat some handy sprinters here back in November before a spell and has trialled pleasingly. From gate one she’ll probably look to get a sit off some speedsters and round them up.
Dangers: 8. Stellar Pauline has just behind them in stakes company in the spring so she’s one to watch first-up back in this class. Drawn well, trialling okay for her and she’s an each-way chance at least. 5. Cardiff led and kept them running proving too slick when he resumed here a month ago. Since won a trial at Dubbo and it’ll be interesting to see if he can back up that fresh effort. 3. Broken Arrows settled back and attacked the line as he usually does first-up two weeks ago. Drops in weight and picks up James McDonald in a race where there should be genuine speed. Must be kept safe.
How to play it: Najmah WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Najmah runs second in a trial at Rosehill on February 11
|Race 7 – 9:15PM PFD FOOD SERVICES HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Above And Beyond returned to this grade and was forced to make an early run to get into the picture before going down narrowly to Major Artie. Looks to be less depth here and is a good chance to go one better. Just doesn’t want a heavy track.
Dangers: 6. Foxborough likes the sting out of the ground and she led and boxed on okay for a close third here two weeks ago. Down 2kg and this is certainly no harder. Sure to be competitive again. 4. Strange Charm posted back to back wins over this course in January then up in class and she wasn’t competitive at Randwick. Quick freshen up and back in class, she could easily lift. 11. Weekend Affair always seems to run a good race here despite his record not reading that good on paper, with one win from 21 attempts. He has a negative racing style so is always running on and should be doing that again.
How to play it: Above And Beyond WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Above And Beyond runs second at Canterbury on February 12