By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Selburose raced out of her grade at Kensington last time and went down fighting to a horse that has won four from five. Back to a maiden, the form around her is good and she’s drawn to have no excuses. Entitled to break through.
Dangers: 7. Supremo could be a dark horse. Showed a heap of promise in trials before debuting behind Anders on a heavy track then failed in Brisbane in June. Again his trials have been okay and if the track stays closer to good he is worth thought. 6. Unrelenting has had two recent trials and been close seconds in both. Drawn well and might be worth keeping safe. 8. Supreme Leader showed improvement first-up after two fair runs in Victoria when third at Newcastle, runner-up Edmond has won since. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Selburose WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Selburose runs second at Kensington on October 28
|Race 2 – 6.45PM CYREN BAR GRILL SEAFOOD PLATE (1550 METRES)|
12. Kakariki is a likely improver at each-way odds after a second-up run at Newcastle that’s better than it looks on paper. Held up for quite a while getting to the outside and was only winding up when the race was over. Expect her to be closer from the inside gate and be competitive.
Dangers: 4. Earl Of Sandwich was up on the speed in the same race, hit the front and was run down in the last 50m in a handy effort at start two. Can only be better for it and should give another good account. 6. Mr Gee is another who contested that Newcastle event and he finished on for third after going back from a wide gate. Probably goes back again and will be hitting the line strongly. 7. Ruddock draws wide and likely has to push forward. Sound first-up run at Newcastle then outpointed at Kembla on a heavy track. Racing as though he can win a race soon and has to be considered.
How to play it: Kakariki E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Kakariki run seventh at Newcastle on October 31
|Race 3 – 7:15PM URBANISTA HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
4. Unamerican was scratched from a winnable race at Hawkesbury midweek to run here and while this isn’t a gimme he’s flying and should be hard to beat. Sat off them to win at Newcastle two back the led and romped away with the Cessnock Cup at the same venue. Just needs to slot in somewhere and he can go close.
Dangers: 2. Gone Bye should be just about ready to win now after three runs back and he fought on when under pressure at Randwick over a mile last time. On pacer who if able to dictate will take some stopping. 5. Nyami impressed with wins at his first two starts back then sat second and went down fighting when fourth at Kensington two weeks ago. Well worth another chance. 7. Deadly Impact meets Nyami better at the weights for a 0.3 length second at Kembla a month ago and that might be significant. Seems to race well on the fresh side so include in the main hopes.
How to play it: Unamerican E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Unamerican wins at Newcastle on October 27
|Race 4 – 7:45PM JAMBEROO ACTION PARK SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
5. Ambleve was never a chance first-up for the new stable as she was caught back and wide and didn’t fire a shot. This looks more suitable, drawn kindly and was trialling quite well leading into her return. Handles all conditions and expecting her to show something.
Dangers: 7. Great Danger kicked off his last prep very well then form turned a bit mixed as he went up in class. First trial was excellent then not asked for anything in the second so ignore the beaten margin there. Has a super fresh record and could surprise. 8. Paquirri won well here first-up then fair in a very strong race a month ago. Tried hard but no match for Belucci Babe last time but did keep coming over the 1000m. Drawn well and he has a show. 4. He's A Hotshot had his chance first-up at Warwick Farm but kept coming for a solid second. Drawn a shade awkwardly here but so long as the track stays in the soft range he's a good chance.
How to play it: Ambleve WIN ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Ambleve’s trial at Gosford on October 14 prior to resuming
|Race 5 – 8:15PM OGALO SPRINT (1100 METRES)|
Hard to knock 3. Lord Olympus who has won four from five and should have won the other. Beat a smart one here two back then too strong again at Kensington. Carries the same weight here, drawn well and makes his own luck. The one to beat again.
Dangers: 1. Lancaster Bomber is a little under rated at this level and is sure to run his usual handy race first-up. Bumped into Varda then Best Stone then Kookabaa in successive starts here in winter beaten narrowly by the latter two. Impossible to leave out. 12. Najmah is obviously promising given her impressive debut win at Kembla over 1000m on a heavy track. There wasn’t much substance to the race and she’s up in class but respecting the stable’s opinion to run her here. If she is well above average she will go close. 6. Monte Ditto doesn’t win out of turn but he is a competitive type who is rarely too far from the mark. Raced well last time in aside from a flop before a spell. Hasn’t trialled for a month but will be running on.
How to play it: Lord Olympus WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Lord Olympus wins at Kensington on October 31
|Race 6 – 8:45PM FEATHERDALE WILDLIFE PARK HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
15. Bob’s Your Uncle is an on pacer and he was game when resuming at Kensington when run down by El Buena who was heavily backed. Fitter for it and he can give some cheek for sure, any rain a plus.
Dangers: 6. On The White Turf has the ability to win this race and should be getting close to peak fitness after two runs back. Specked in betting last time and closed off okay, down in weight and extra trip suits so can’t overlook. 12. Happy Candy has been competitive in three city starts since a Wyong win in August. Led and was only run down late at Kensington over this trip a few weeks back, likely to be on speed here and is an each-way chance. 1. Julian Rock can be hit and miss but when he's on he is more than capable of winning this. Two runs from a break have been below par, though.
How to play it: Bob's Your Uncle E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bob's Your Uncle runs second at Kensington on October 28
|Race 7 – 9:15PM KIA FLET EDGE EVENING STAR (1250 METRES)|
10. Phoenix Global is an interesting runner having his first run for Brad Widdup. Led and was claimed late at Moonee Valley second-up about six weeks ago and has trialled well since. Hard to run down.
Dangers: 8. Catapult is usually somewhere around the mark in his races though he could use a win sometime soon. Had his chance at Kensington last time but tried hard and ran well in a strong BM68 at Newcastle two starts ago and on that is right in this. 2. Bold And Wild won well first-up last prep on a good track then the wheels fell off with a couple of failures on heavy tracks. Two trials and both have been fine, no surprise to see him put his best foot forward fresh. 6. Slow Burn is worth throwing in at odds. She didn't come up at all last prep but liked her latest trial and on her best she's competitive.
How to play it: Phoenix Global WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Phoenix Global wins a trial at Gosford on November 4
|Race 8 – 9:45PM METRO HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Stolen Jade was super first-up in winning at Gosford with an arrogant ride three wide the trip from just off the pace. Progressive type who looks in for a good prep and this sort of race is a nice stepping stone. Stable is flying too. Go well.
Dangers: 8. Alison Of Tuffy hasn’t raced since a close up fourth at Randwick on Everest Day and she’s ticked over with a trial since then. Honest mare who has drawn well and won two back with Nash on board. Keep in mind. 10. Deep Crystal has been around the mark at her last couple and gave a sight when third at Randwick to Crosscheck at Great News. Last 100m might be a worry but right in it. 1. Think Free was ordinary in two runs last summer and is a big market watch fresh. No guide in her two trials but she has run well first-up in the past.
How to play it: Stolen Jade WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Stolen Jade wins at Gosford on October 29