By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM FEATHERDALE WILDLIFE PARK PLATE (1550 METRES)|
1. Corporal is capable of knocking off the favourite first time in blinkers. Reacted well to a month between runs after a flop at Kembla when he hit the line nicely from last at Newcastle for a close second. Won’t be so far off them here and looks to have a turn of foot. Go well.
Dangers: 4. Bigboyroy might well win but can’t take $1.35 or so given he’s been there to win all three this time in and hasn’t been able to get it done. Outpointed by stablemate Rockarosa last time, the horse to beat but wouldn’t have the house on him. 3. Litchfield led and fended off all the challengers bar the winner at Canberra last time who stormed down the outside fence. Had support there, from gate one will either hold the lead or box seat and can find himself in the placings. 6. Lucky Imperator failed badly in the same race as Bigboyroy but started favourite prior when midfield in the same race as Corporal at Newcastle. Form is mixed so place best.
How to play it: Corporal WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Corporal runs second at Newcastle on October 15
|Race 2 - 6:45PM CYREN BAR GRILL SEAFOOD PLATE (1550 METRES)|
6. Earth Song stamped herself a coming winner with an eye-catching second at Newcastle over 1200m a couple of weeks ago, where she ran a 32.86 last 600m (Punter's Intelligence) and 11.21 last 600m. Drifter in betting there but attacked the line to get very close in what looks a good form maiden going forward. Drawn ideally and should be competitive.
Dangers: 9. Starla was beaten at odds-on at her first two runs back then drifted and was never a factor in running third at Randwick, granted in what looks a stronger maiden than this one. No excuses for her here but she’s again short enough. 5. Diamonds And Rust has trialled up quite well on two occasions winning the latest. Possibly the leader here based on the trial and could give a sight. 1. Oxidization has had a few chances now and was a beaten favourite at Hawkesbury last time but another placing wouldn't surprise here.
How to play it: Earth Song WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Earth Song runs second at Newcastle on November 2
|Race 3 – 7.15PM FASTLANE KARTING SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
1. Auxin would be a clear favourite for mine had he not drawn 13 but happy to take the punt he can find a spot. Form around him is excellent, beaten less than a length by Microphone on debut and competitive in all four starts to date. Nice trial recently and with a bit of early luck should go close.
Dangers: 8. Miss Spiteful was a drifter in betting but stuck to her guns very well chasing home stablemate Dorothy Of Oz at Hawkesbury on debut. Won’t take her too long to break through on that run and she should be hard to beat. 5. L’Cosmo hasn’t done a lot wrong but continues to bump into handy ones with a bit more upside than her. Ran on well behind Dirty Work at Randwick first-up, fitter and if they are running on she’ll be in the finish somewhere. 9. Ajaayeb is an $875,000 purchase on debut after a couple of handy enough trials. She’s out of former smart mare Augusta Proud, watch for any market push and act accordingly.
How to play it: Auxin WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Auxin wins a trial at Warwick Farm on November 6
|Race 4 – 7.45PM TOTAL CANTEEN SOLUTIONS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
2. Soldier Of Love is bursting to win a race and looks to have a big chance on the back of a game third second-up and just failing at Randwick last time. Fair to say he was out in plenty of time last start but wins in another stride or so and drawn to get a perfect run here. Take beating.
Dangers: 5. Live The Moment is another that is around the mark at the moment without winning. Beaten favourite when run down at Gosford two weeks ago, honest and should be in the finish again. 1. Chocolatier is capable of running a nice race fresh with a couple of trials under his belt. Raced consistently last time in and kicked off that prep with a placing, something similar could be in range. 8. Bullet Fly led them up in the same race as Live The Moment and tried hard to hold on beaten a length. Thereabouts and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Soldier Of Love WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Soldier Of Love runs second at Randwick on November 5
|Race 5 – 8.15PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
Not high on confidence but 1. Zaunkonig will give a good sight out in front here in a race with not too many horses known for regular wins. Run down in the last couple of strides over the same trip at Gosford last time and if he gets control he could pinch this. Each-way chance.
Dangers: 7. De Valera ran last when resuming off a 10 week break at Hawkesbury but was only beaten two lengths and is not a 1500m horse. Fitter and up to a more suitable trip, he raced consistently last time in so if he finds form he’s capable of showing up. 4. Californiafirebird looked to have every chance when beaten favourite at Hawkesbury last week but is another who continues to be around the mark. Drawn softly and no surprise if he’s in the finish but hard to be confident of a win. 3. Stardome is a bit of a one-pacer but he arrived in time to win at Kembla second-up from a spell. Extra journey is a plus for him so if it becomes a staying test he's in the mix.
How to play it: Zaunkonig E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Zaunkonig runs second at Gosford on October 31
|Race 6 – 8.45PM JAMBEROO ACTION PARK SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
7. Special Snap finds herself in a winnable race, albeit still a handy one, from barrier one after a sound effort in a much stronger field where she was never a chance of winning. Settled last and worked home down the outside beaten four lengths to Rule The World. Can race closer and hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Brazilica looked promising early on but bled when beaten 1.7 lengths at Canterbury back in July as favourite so spelled. Recent trial was handy and she has the talent to be competitive. 3. Invinciano didn’t have much luck when resuming then led and just failed to hold them off at Gosford in a similar class event. Will be on the speed somewhere and more than capable of winning this. 9. Dorothy Of Oz was well supported and led and wasn’t ever challenged in scoring nicely at Hawkesbury. Might have a bit more competition here but she has run well in all four starts including against the likes of Libertini and California Zimbol. Definite chance.
How to play it: Special Snap WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Special Snap runs sixth at Rosehill on November 2
|Race 7 - 9:15PM SUTTONS KIA EVENING STAR (1250 METRES)|
1. Discussions should definitely have finished closer when resuming at Rosehill behind Sandbar, he was shut out of a run inside the 200m and wasn’t tested late. Fitter for that and now it looks like he’s found form after a disappointing last prep he’s a big chance.
Dangers: 2. Oakfield Twilight is a very game on pacer who tried hard but was outpointed by Outrageous at Rosehill a couple of weeks ago. No harder here class wise and if he’s not made work too hard here he’s right in it. 3. Sondelon has trialled up well for a return and he does race well fresh. Tends to race on the speed but at 1250m he may be back a pair or two from an inside gate, still must include him among the contenders. 14. Weekend Affair is one of those horses you always have to throw in the trifectas, he's resuming with a quiet trial under his belt and will be running on strongly late.
How to play it: Discussions E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Discussions runs an unlucky fifth at Rosehill on November 2
|Race 8 - 9:45PM QE FOODS CLASSIC HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Kawaikini has a few things going for her here, a strong first-up record, good stats at Canterbury and a nice soft gate where she can land anywhere she likes in the run. Does need the breaks to win her races so is always an each-way chance but should run well.
Dangers: 1. Through The Cracks has a great record and has found Nash Rawiller to ride first-up since he ran second at Newcastle back in May. Latest trial was sound and he should measure up to this level. 11. Longbottom is an up and comer who won well first-up then bumped into a promising one when second at Gosford two weeks ago. Hasn’t done a lot wrong and well worth a look. 10. Buckin' Beauty had some support when resuming over 900m at Newcastle and didn't give up running a close second to Koonunga. Fitter and possible leader here who could give a sight.
How to play it: Kawaikini E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Kawaikini’s trial at Warwick Farm on November 6