By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Battleground looks close to a good thing if he brings his trial performances of late to his debut here. A $900,000 colt, he’s taken a bit of time but backed up a nice Hawkesbury trial with an easy win at Rosehill where he had to work into the clear then he sprinted away under a hold. Barrier looks his worst enemy.
Dangers: 4. Hellbenders raced on the pace on a night where to be handy and close to the fence was a plus. He’ll no doubt be in or near the lead again and is sure to give a good sight. 3. Nyami is another whose latest trial was on the quiet side with not a lot given away by the Waller camp. He is out of a Zabeel mare so may want further but commands some respect and, again, betting a pointer. 6. Bizarro ran fourth in the same race as Hellbenders and has a few lengths to make up on him from that clash. Looks a minor player.
How to play it: Battleground WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Battleground wins a trial at Rosehill on December 2
|Race 2 - 6:45PM MIRVAC PLATE (1900 METRES)|
Must stay with 8. Savaspur though be wary of a change of tactic notice. If he goes back it’ll be harder for him but still looks the most promising. Eye-catcher on debut then surged late at 1550m here two weeks ago, running the fastest last 200m of 11.66 (Punter's Intelligence), suggesting the trip is going to suit. Hard to hold out.
Dangers: 9. Diamonds And Rust was scratched from a winnable race at Wyong to run here and she led and was run down on the line in the same race as Savaspur who was charging. Expect she will lead here and if she is allowed to dictate will be tough to run down. 7. Nombuso is another to come through the Canterbury race two weeks ago and he ran fourth after getting up along the fence from near last. Has the inside alley and may be handier up in trip so keep him in mind. 10. Trieste was a beaten odds-on favourite at her second start at Gosford and it’s hard to find an excuse for her there. Will race handy though and still on the up so not prepared to discount her yet.
How to play it: Savaspur WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Savaspur runs third at Canterbury on November 29
|Race 3 – 7.15PM THE AGENCY PROJECTS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Arousal will need the pattern to be fair but it was hard to miss her excellent debut at Canterbury two weeks ago where she was near last on the turn and was the only horse making any ground to run fifth, clocking the fastest last 600m of 34.67 and last 200m of 11.43 (Punter's Intelligence). Extra 100m a plus and if you can run on she’ll be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 12. Lady Herbert improved sharply second-up off a sound enough resumption when beaten in the last hop at Warwick Farm and the form out of the race has held up nicely. Expecting her to be thereabouts in the run and at her peak now is dangerous. 9. Mimesis showed speed in her only public trial and did enough to win at Rosehill over 900m. Dan was a 20 start maiden. Drawn well and has the Bowman/Waller combination so keep her in mind if there’s any support. 2. Single Blonde is fitter for one run back where she gave a sight at Kembla and a tickover trial. Blinkers go on and she's a likely improver.
How to play it: Arousal E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Arousal runs fifth at Canterbury on November 29
|Race 4 – 7.45PM KAWASAKI KEIBA TROPHY (1900 METRES)|
1. Chocolatier went down fighting first-up after leading here a month ago and stepping up in trip suits him. Likely to lead again and if he gets any kind of breather in the run he’s the horse to beat even with the 61.5kg. Very winnable race for him.
Dangers: 2. Nahuel is back to his pet trip and has also had a freshen since his resumption over 1550m about six weeks ago. Stretched out nicely in a recent trial and if he can find his best form he’s right in the mix. 3. Stardome is a one pacer so if it’s a sit and sprint he will be off the bit a fair way out. Big effort when narrowly beaten by Adana at Rosehill last week so backs up here, though Adana was safely held by Chocolatier prior to that so he may not have the right form. He’ll be thereabouts. 5. Newtown Bluebag enjoyed a few breaks in the run getting up along the inside in the preferred ground when winning over this course two weeks ago. Drawn nicely again and similar weight after the claim so can’t be overlooked.
How to play it: Chocolatier WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Chocolatier runs second at Canterbury on November 15
|Race 5 – 8.150PM BAHCO HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Mossman Gorge resumed at the Kembla city meeting a few weeks back, led up and fought on well to just miss a placing so will be fitter here. Drawn to find the front, gets in well with the claim and the drop in class and rarely runs a bad race. Go well in an open event.
Dangers: 9. Liberty Sun stepped away slowly and wasn’t able to find the front when beaten as a warm favourite first-up at Gosford. Impressed winning prior and has blinkers on here. Likely improver who must be respected. 4. Roosevelt has been going through the motions a bit of late since his narrow defeat at Randwick back in October. Returns to midweek company and the blinkers go back on so he’s more than capable of rebounding. 3. Celer generally takes a run to hit some form and can be hit and miss but resumes in a race up for grabs, his trial was okay finishing off late and he is generally a competitive type. Support would be encouraging, expect he improves on whatever he does here.
How to play it: Mossman Gorge E/W ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mossman Gorge runs fourth at Kembla Grange on November 23
|Race 6 – 8.45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
8. Fituese is a promising type who had excuses when beaten at her second start then enjoyed a nice trial and sprinted away at Warwick Farm a couple of weeks ago. Drawn to have the drop on them again and an extra 100m holds no fears. Be a surprise if she’s not in the finish.
Dangers: 5. Sophiella sat handy and chased Zaniah all the way in a similar race at the Farm last time out and that’s pretty good form for this even if Zaniah isn’t lining up. Will go forward and has to be considered. 3. Echo Gem raced fairly consistently last time in though her best efforts were on wet tracks. That said she’s won two trials on good ground this time in and the latest was quite dominant. Stable firing and can’t leave her out of the chances. 6. Meditate is unbeaten in three starts in the country and is an interesting runner here. Established a big lead in her Hawkesbury trial and held on to win by half a length. Hard to line up but might well lead them and give some cheek.
How to play it: Fiteuse WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fiteuse wins at Warwick Farm on November 27
|Race 7 - 9:15PM KIA EVENING STAR (1550 METRES)|
7. Savvy Ken looks revved up to fire first-up with the blinkers on. First trial was a quiet one then in the blinkers he cruised home down the outside from last looking very strong. Won at a mile first-up last prep, if pretty honest and he’s a good each-way chance fresh.
Dangers: 3. Falcon Island was a bit out of his comfort zone last time at Newcastle after a game effort at Rosehill. Back in class here and back in trip should be to his advantage and he will be hard to beat. 4. Tunero has put two solid efforts together since a spell with placings behind stablemates at Randwick and Rosehill. Drawn out so can only see him drifting back and that leaves him dictated to by the speed. If the cards fall his way he could steam over the top of them. 11. Baanone was quite dynamic winning at a mile three starts back but hasn’t been quite as effective in two subsequent runs up in trip. Has a handy turn of foot when saved up and no surprise to see him improve sharply.
How to play it: Savvy Ken E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Savvy Ken runs third in a trial at Randwick on November 26
|Race 8 - 9:45PM CANTERBURY LEAGUE CLUB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
7. Irish Songs is capable of jumping out of the ground here. Eye-catcher in a Highway two starts back then in this class at Warwick Farm he was well back in a race dominated by the leader and while beaten five lengths he was strong on the line. How he goes up in distance here will be interesting but a good each-way hope.
Dangers: 3. Sedition chased hard when those on the speed sprinted here two weeks ago and there was a decent gap back to fourth behind him. Racing very well and had excuses for his only failure recently. Drawn well and down 3kg. Has a show. 2. Kosciusko had little more than an exhibition gallop in leading all the way at Gosford last time and you’d expect them to try similar tactics here. Has performed okay at this level previously and is one of the main chances. 10. Feather campaigned mostly in Victoria last time in and resumes with a nice enough trial under the belt earlier this month. Not sure where she’ll wind up from the gate but lightly raced and any support for her should be respected.
How to play it: Irish Songs E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Irish Songs’ last start at Warwick Farm on November 27