By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 5:45PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS PLATE (1900 METRES)|
5. The Fringe has a win in her very soon and she had good support when bumping into Shamani first-up at Wyong. Fitter for that, she was strong late and the extra ground is only a plus. Not a lot of depth here and so long as she’s in touch on the turn should go close.
Dangers: 4. Whiskey Jack could be the upset horse. While he’s only placed in two of 10 he was excellent running on first-up then ridden upside down, by the jockey’s admission in the stewards report, when leading and tailing out second-up. Expect him to hit the line better this time. 7. Mezenn is the probable leader. She was a beaten favourite first-up off a six weeks break at Newcastle over a mile when in trouble on the turn. Does have to lift a bit but if left alone can take catching. 6. Le May is going well without winning in the southern district. Run down narrowly at Wagga last time, up in trip and you’d say the form overall doesn’t scream city winner but she’s honest so isn’t completely out of it.
How to play it: The Fringe WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
The Fringe runs second at Wyong on November 26
|Race 2 – 6.15PM TAB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
4. Never Never River has also been gelded since his autumn prep where he underachieved. Plenty to like about his second trial this time in where he did it so easily. Will look to lead or be right up there and has to be respected.
Dangers: 3. Captivare has the blinkers off here after being beaten by the bob of the head at Randwick first-up. Does that mean he won’t contest the lead this time? Back 50m as well but gets James McDonald. Definite chance, keep an eye on change of tactics and late betting. 6. Grace And Harmony is a very well bred filly who will win races without doubt judging on her trials, particularly the latest one at Rosehill a couple of weeks ago. She got back there but drawn two it wouldn’t shock to see her box seat. Keep an eye on her. 7. Kittero is a well bred filly trialling up nicely as well and should get every chance from the inside gate.
How to play it: Never Never River WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Never Never River wins a trial at Rosehill on November 30
|Race 3 – 6:45PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. Aeecee Power is a very interesting runner. She trialled strongly before starting $4.60 on debut at Randwick back in December last year but dropped out after sitting outside the lead. Since had bone chips removed and a decent break. Her two trials have been very good and she has to run well.
Dangers: 4. Shivani was well supported on debut on a wet track back in April and worked home into a sound enough third. Given some time and she’s come back with a couple of handy trials. Not sure where she gets to here, probably goes back. Beware of any pattern though she may be good enough to overcome one. 8. Tight Ropes probably looks to lead as she did first-up here two weeks ago thought she didn’t show a lot of fight as she failed to beat one home. Has been hit and miss, so if she gets a soft lead she could give a bit of cheek. 2. In De Sun Iwilcome is a nicely bred filly from the Keith Dryden stable who has won two trials at Canberra in November. Hard to line her up but you’d image a maiden out of town could have been found for her so perhaps she’s showing something. Check betting.
How to play it: Aeecee Power E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Aeecee Power runs second in a trial at Rosehill on November 30
|Race 4 – 7:15PM RYDE KIA EVENING STAR (1550 METRES)|
2. Night Of Power was unfortunate not to win first-up at Kembla and is very well placed here (he was accepted at Rosehill too). Held up at a vital stage there, his first run as a gelding, and was a winner over this course a couple of preps ago. Second-up record is superior to first-up so he will improve and is clearly the horse to beat.
Dangers: 3. Come Along took a couple of runs to hit his straps then prevailed fourth-up at Rosehill after racing handy. At peak at the moment, can put himself in a race and is generally honest when in form. Good chance. 6. On The White Turf rounded them up impressively to beat a couple of subsequent winners here a month ago then had excuses for her failure at Rosehill. Had to be replated at the gates there and raced wide. More than capable of bouncing back. 5. Tochi was unsuited at 1200m first-up but can improve quickly when out to her preferred distance. She has a good record at this track and while possibly a run off just yet she likes to lead and could give a sight. 1. Baanone was two months between runs when never in the hunt at Newcastle but he will be fitter and does tend to run really well here. Have to include.
How to play it: Night Of Power WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Night Of Power runs second at Kembla Grange on November 21
|Race 5 – 7:45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
5. Catapult is always around the mark at this level and he did a big job to get as close as he did here two weeks ago after getting back to last off a wide gate. Will be closer from a soft draw, granted he does need a win but if the breaks go his way this is a good chance for him. Certainly a good each-way hope.
Dangers: 4. Café Royal had excuses after racing wide first-up at Newcastle and he dropped right out. Best efforts have been when she’s sat right on the speed and gets that chance from gate one here. Can improve. 3. Smart Image is no doubt the most promising horse in the race but am concerned where he’ll get to from the wide gate. If on pace is a plus, that should be known by this race, he might struggle to pick them up but if it’s a fair deck then he should be the one screaming home at the finish. 2. Darleb looked a coming winner with an excellent second-up effort then a bit disappointing when just behind the placings at Rosehill behind He’s A Hotshot where he had every chance. If you can forgive that then he’s entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Catapult E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Catapult runs third at Canterbury on November 27
|Race 6 – 8:15PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Super Contender may not be the best suited coming back to 1100m but he’s unlikely to be caught wide on the speed from barrier one here. Showed plenty of promise last time in and his trial prior to resuming was excellent, he did start close to even money. Have to give him another chance.
Dangers: 8. Return With Honour hasn’t raced for two months and has been gelded since placing in that race at Warwick Farm. Always shown some talent, no trials since being gelded so keep an eye on betting and follow accordingly. 2. Malkovich is a speedy type who will look to lead them and if he gets comfortable can be hard to run down. Too good at Hawkesbury last time, though that was six or seven weeks ago now, and out to 1100m. Definite chance. 6. Amusez Moi won quite well at his local debut back in April and is fitter for two trials. Hard to line him up but drawn well and has Tom Sherry’s claim. Throw him in the multiples.
How to play it: Super Contender WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Super Contender’s first-up run at Canterbury on November 27
|Race 7 – 8:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
2. Merlinite signalled she’s in for a very good summer prep with a closing second in a good form race here two weeks ago at 1550m. Tends to improve with racing and was narrowly beaten over this course second-up last time in off an inferior fresh effort. Should be in the finish somewhere.
Dangers: 3. Kutayha was well supported and was able to hit the front 200m out and hold off Harpo Marx, who won at Wyong on Thursday, to score in a similar race two weeks ago. Up 2kg but drawn to get a nice run and while he’s only lightly raced he should have plenty of upside. 10. Alchermes can be a bit in and out but she was a month between runs when close up at Rosehill over 1500m and drops sharply in weight into this. Yet to try this sort of trip but usually runs on and has an each-way hope. 8. Sagacious had a few favours in front at Warwick Farm last time but he did hold off a smart filly there for his second win at a mile. Expect he will press forward up further in trip and include him in the chances.
How to play it: Merlinite E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Merlinite runs second at Canterbury on November 27
|Race 8 – 9:15PM BOWERMANS COMMERICAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
11. La Foret comes off a maiden win against four rivals but it looked a strong win and she backed up a couple of promising efforts from earlier this year. Drawn wide but she will go forward. If she finds the lead it means they haven’t gone too hard and she will take running down there. Looks to have some talent.
Dangers: 12. Raison D’Etre beat Elizabeel here first-up then disappointed at Randwick in September. Back from Melbourne where she contested a couple of stakes races and wasn’t beaten too far there. Nice quiet trial and drawn to be on the back of the speed. Commands some respect. 14. My Ruby is an ex South Australian filly now with Chris Waller and she beat Tiny in her first trial before contesting a stronger heat and taking it easy. Interesting runner, betting might tell us more about the confidence around her. 6. Brazen Gem was able to race handy first-up at Warwick Farm and went down fighting. Trickier gate here but fitter and if she can repeat the effort she's in the mix.
How to play it: La Foret WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
La Foret wins at Canterbury on November 27