By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wyong. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:10PM GREAT NORTHERN HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
4. California Spell gave a big sight two back at big odds with Costa Zou, who was a late scratchings from this race, just ahead of him. Led again at Newcastle last start and boxed on well just behind the placings. Could lead them up here and give a good sight.
Dangers: 6. Jazirat showed some promise on debut at Canberra and to be fair her last two attempts have been in maidens with plenty of depth. Finds this a bit easier so no surprise to see her improve into the finish. 3. April Thunder was placed in a city maiden on debut but since then hasn’t produced anything like it. Drifter in the betting at Hawkesbury a couple of weeks ago, just battled and she’d have to improve to be a winning hope on that. Some merit in her first-up run so worth one more chance. 1. Cosmic Bullet needs to lift on what he's shown in his two starts, he raced handy and weakened at Hawkesbury last time, but gets the chance to show improvement.
How to play it: California Spell E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
California Spell runs fourth at Newcastle on May 26
|Race 2 – 1.50PM DE BORTOLI WINES PLATE (1000 METRES)|
10. Nicci’s Fling is a two-year-old taking on older horses on debut but she gets in with 52.5kg and has trialled like she will run well first-up. Last trial was on the synthetic and she wasn’t asked for the big effort in running a close third. Watch betting but drawn well and should be competitive.
Dangers: 5. De Grawin has her first run for Joe Pride, she was placed in her only two starts back in the summer where she ran well but had her chance. Both trials have had merit, the latest on the synthetic, and the blinkers come off. Must respect, especially if she attracts support. 8. Segosha would require a leap of faith after being beaten on debut by 14 lengths as she ran last here five weeks ago after leading. Was well in the market there too. She’s been back to the trials and she might be worth forgiving. 6. Giselle Anne is still a maiden after 15 starts but she always puts in so can’t be dismissed. Responded to pressure at Kembla last start and didn’t give it up despite being headed early in the straight. Each-way.
How to play it: Nicci’s Fling E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nicci’s Fling runs third in a trial at Warwick Farm on May 22
|Race 3 – 2:25PM SKY RACING PLATE (2100 METRES)|
5. Qinghai Lake gets the blinkers on after a fighting second over a mile at Kembla and it doesn’t appear the extra trip will be an issue. Lightly raced, drawn well and hard fit after four runs back, entitled to go close.
Dangers: 4. Lord Tropicana was perfectly ridden at Hawkesbury over this trip two weeks ago and was bloused in the last 50m. Drops 2.5kg after the claim so that’s a big plus and he could easily go one better. 1. All Things was a big drifter in betting at Newcastle last start where he finished just behind the placings but he didn’t get all the favours so could easily have finished closer. Blinkers go on him here and it’ll be interesting to see how the race pans out for him from the wide gate. Must include. 8. Mick An' Nicks handled a sharp jump in trip well to be narrowly beaten at Newcastle and if he runs up to that he's an each-way chance again.
How to play it: Qinghai Lake WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Qinghai Lake runs second at Kembla Grange on May 19
|Race 4 – 3:05PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Devan is flying for the new stable with impressive wins at Quirindi and Taree, the latest back in trip under 62kg. Drops nicely in weight, drawn well and was competitive in provincial grade for the previous yard so expecting him to measure up now he’s in peak form.
Dangers: 5. Citrouelle had no luck at all when resuming over 900m at Newcastle and she was hard to miss late when into the clear charging into third. Soft draw and was a winner second-up last prep off a promising return. 4. Belladeel might be the best longshot of the meeting. Ran well twice under big weights at Scone before contesting a strong Class 1 on Scone Cup day where he was badly held up for a run and didn’t ever get a crack at them. Hard to say where he would have finished but it wouldn’t have been tenth. Has gate one here and could surprise. 6. Rabbit Clause hasn’t raced since November when unplaced at Kembla but first two career starts were handy. Hard to line up his two trials so be guided by the market and follow accordingly.
How to play it: Devan WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Devan wins at Taree on May 25
|Race 5 – 3:40PM VALE JOHNNIE ROBERTS HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
5. Nishka caught the eye resuming in a strong race at Warwick Farm, she settled near last and worked home nicely beaten three lengths by Bound To Win with her last 200m of 11.78 (Punter's Intelligence) the second best of the race. Right back in class here, drawn to effect and up towards her preferred distance. She has to run well in this company.
Dangers: 4. Maisaa is close to another win, she’s hit the line nicely into second at her past couple and you’d imagine she’s set up well to hold her form. Whether 1350m is at the top end of her distance range is the big question. 6. Spirit World is showing plenty of promise and fought off a challenge from a subsequent winner at Hawkesbury two weeks ago. There’s some depth here so it’ll be interesting to see how she measures up. Definite chance. 1. Sky Diamonds is coming back in trip after a handy third over 1500m at Kembla second-up. Probably wants that distance range to be winning but did hold her form last prep when she found it so not ruling her out of contention.
How to play it: Nishka E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nishka’s first-up run at Warwick Farm on May 13
|Race 6 – 4:20PM WYONG’S NEXT RACE DAY THURSDAY JUNE 18 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
4. Live The Moment was a beaten favourite second-up but it wasn’t a bad run as he found himself last on the fence on the turn. Showed with a city placing fresh he’s come back in good order and finds a winnable race in his comfort zone. Good each-way prospects.
Dangers: 8. Cubix contested the same race and was up on the speed all the way in running second at Newcastle. That’ll be him again, up there somewhere in the firing line and that’ll give him a big chance to go one better. 1. Academy gets in well after the claim and while drawn awkwardly his best efforts would be more than good enough to make him a player fresh. Was in the market against the likes of Rocha Clock and Quick Thinker last time in and is right back in class. Keep safe. 2. Snitzify is hard to knock and he got the job done well enough as favourite at Hawkesbury two weeks ago. At his peak and really hasn’t run a bad race so with even luck, along the same lines as Academy, he can be hard to beat.
How to play it: Live The Moment E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Live The Moment runs sixth at Newcastle on May 23