By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wyong meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:10PM ELECTRA CABLES PLATE (1600 METRES)|
1. Kutayha showed some promise in two starts in Victoria earlier this year at 1400m and resumes with the one trial, 1200m, under his belt. Worked home okay there and expecting the mile to be significant for him. Should be strong late and hard to hold out.
Dangers: 6. Alumna is the likely leader as she has done at both starts to date. Game at big odds at debut then seemed to have her chance at Newcastle after getting across from an outside gate. No excuses here and is the one to run down. 4. Oconee was a big drifter first-up and was never in the hunt at Kembla after getting right back. If he’s ridden closer he could be a sharp improver. 3. Microna gave a big sight only to be run down by Quintessa two starts ago then just fair at Kembla as a significant drifter. Some hope on run two starts back.
How to play it: Kutayha WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kutayha runs third in a Warwick Farm trial on September 22
|Race 2 – 1.45PM HANECO LIGHTING PLATE (1350 METRES)|
3. Nyami is a short priced favourite and deservedly so given his efforts in city maidens last summer. Stretched out well late in his trial and kicking off over this trip suits. Just has the sticky gate to overcome but clearly the one to beat.
Dangers: 8. Write On disappointed when beaten into third place as a $1.60 chance over this course last week but was softened up a bit midrace. At peak now and blinkers come off so he might settle a bit better. Worth another look. 5. Lanu Moana is ex-Chris Waller and fitter for two trials for the new stable. Only missed a place once in six starts and while most of those have been at a mile or so she bears watching here fresh. 7. Fields Of Honour seemed to have his chance as favourite at Hawkesbury four weeks ago and has been back to the trials since. Drawn well this time but might need to find a length or two to be a winning chance.
How to play it: Nyami WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Nyami runs third in a trial at Warwick Farm on September 3
|Race 3 – 2:20PM SUNNY LIGHTING HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Solar Flash seems to be a different horse since the blinkers were added in trials this prep. Strong on pace win in her latest trial and she’s worth a look in a wide open maiden. Check betting for any pointer but sure to run well.
Dangers: 2. Only Mine was heavily backed into odds-on when resuming on a heavy track at Hawkesbury and boxed on okay. All three starts have been on wet tracks so she could be a sharp improver back onto dry ground. 6. Artic held her ground on debut in a much stronger Warwick Farm maiden a couple of weeks ago so it wouldn’t surprise if she lift a bit here. Did trial well leading in so keep in mind. 3. Provide tried hard on debut at Gosford when runner-up then drew wide and went forward at Canterbury before fading. Inclined to forgive that run, drawn ideally here and can be competitive.
How to play it: Solar Flash E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Solar Flash wins a trial at Warwick Farm on September 3
|Race 4 – 2:55PM BRILLIANT LIGHTING HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Mix has a good each-way hope here after two handy enough runs to date. Even effort on debut behind a smart filly then held on after being on the speed at Newcastle behind a runaway winner. Should be in this for a long way.
Dangers: 3. El Buena had some support first-up here a month ago and really didn’t run up to it beating just one home. Has shown ability so worth another chance with a couple of minor gear changes. 2. Maccomo ran a nice second here first-up then seemed to have his chance when favourite at Canberra last time out. Drawn well again so on his first-up run he’s worth including in the hopes. 8. Keck is a well bred gelding on debut and while he hasn't shown a whole lot in his trials he hasn't been fully tested. Watch betting.
How to play it: Mix E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Mix runs third at Newcastle on September 19
|Race 5 – 3:35PM GO ELECTRICAL LONG JETTY PLATE (2100 METRES)|
11. Toostar has far fewer convictions than her rivals and has done enough in two runs back at shorter trips to say she can be very effective out in distance now. Short enough in the market considering her Kembla price last time but the one to beat.
Dangers: 5. Lunar Rain was totally unsuited getting right back to last in a slowly run race at Newcastle last time so ignore the margin there. Ran well at a mile here prior to that and if she can be in touch at the business end she’s in the mix. 9. Avalene is an 18 start maiden but she is racing so consistently you can’t leave her out. Didn’t threaten but kept coming over this course last start and is an each-way hope. 7. Under The Pump hasn’t won in 15 starts but his two country runs back suggest he’s not far off a breakthrough. Whether it’s this race is questionable but ready for the step up in trip and some claims.
How to play it: Toostar WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Toostar runs fourth at Kembla Grange on September 17
|Race 6 – 4:10PM GO ELECTRICAL THORNLEIGH HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Dance Away made a nice return with a fighting second over a mile at Newcastle and gets the blinkers on first time here. Stays at the mile, that’s a small concern, but there should be a bit of pace here and that would give her every chance.
Dangers: 4. Unamerican drifted in betting and just boxed on okay into fourth when resuming at Kembla. Fitter and did improve second-up last time so expect him to be around the mark here. 6. Mo’s Glory was a popular winner at a mile at Scone two runs back then disappointed running last over this course four weeks ago. Freshened up and is much better than that run says. Each-way. 7. New Tycoon won nicely first-up at Scone then made ground without threatening under 61kg at Tuncurry. Back onto a good track here and still has the upside. Definite chance.
How to play it: Dance Away E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Dance Away runs second at Newcastle on September 19
|Race 7 – 4:45PM MAGIC MILLIONS 2YOs IN TRAINING SALE HANDICAP (1350 METRES)|
2. Chanting looked a coming winner with a nice first-up effort here then favourite again at Newcastle and was a bit flat. Overlook that run and with good speed likely here she will get the chance to finish off strongly.
Dangers: 15. Red Hot shouldn’t be underestimated at odds. Won well first-up then hit the line into second, both at Gosford, before heading to down and just battling behind Joviality. Overlook that and she has an each-way hope. 1. Bethencourt will need to be good to offset the wide gate but he is arguably the most promising horse in the race. Beaten favourite when resuming but far from disgraced and with any luck should go close. 12. Get Hitched made some ground for a midfield finish first-up at Kembla and suited by the extra trip and a low draw. Could be an improver.
How to play it: Chanting E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Chanting runs sixth at Newcastle on September 19
|Race 8 – 5:25PM GO ELECTRICAL CHARMHAVEN HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Ocean Emperor looked smart on debut leading all the way at Kensington then forgive his failure behind Peltzer. Trialling well including a second to Eduardo, drawn to be prominent and should take plenty of beating.
Dangers: 5. Knight also looked good winning at his first start before a flop at start two though his was on a heavy track. Winner of two recent trials, gate one and James McDonald are pluses. Good chance. 7. Zeftabrook wasn’t quite up to Listed company before a spell but she showed talent winning her first two runs in that prep. Quiet trials recently so keep an eye on betting for a pointer. 9. Long Weekend raced on the pace and really toughed it out strong to score on debut at Kembla and while up in class bears close watching. Should press forward again and could be up to the task.
How to play it: Ocean Emperor WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Ocean Emperor runs second in a trial at Warwick Farm on September 22