By Racing NSW staff
As racing fans prepare for 2017 Chipping Norton Stakes day tomorrow, we celebrate Winx's top five ATC wins over her career.
5. Apollo Stakes (2017) Any vulnerability that may have existed when Winx resumed over 1400m on route to the Queen Elizabeth was whisked away when she ambled past stablemate Endless Drama at the 300m mark. When you add in the fact that the field consisted of fellow Group One winners Hartnell, Magic Hurricane, Preferment and Lasqueti Spirit as well as proven blacktype performers like Dibayani, Leebaz and Shiraz, the win looks very special.
Apollo Stakes - 13 Feb 2017
4. Chipping Norton Stakes (2016) It’s not often a horse starts $1.35 favourite in a Group One race. Especially in the Chipping Norton Stakes, a race inaugurated in 1925 with an honour roll that includes famous names like Phar Lap, Tranquil Star, Tulloch, Super Impose and Tie The Knot. Winx threw her name into the conversation with these famous names when she convincingly handled this world class field.
Chipping Norton Stakes - 27 Feb 2016
3. Epsom Handicap (2015) Earlier in her career Winx launched an assault on the 2015 Epsom Handicap, the feature race of Sydney’s spring. Run over the famous Randwick mile, the 150th running of this famous race is one that wont be forgotten as Winx announced herself on the grand stage to win her first Group One in Sydney. It was also the first time Hugh Bowman and Winx came together to win a Group One handicap and began one of the most famous jockey/horse combinations seen in recent times.
Epsom Handicap - 3 Oct 2015
2. George Ryder Stakes (2016) Up until the point Winx contested the 2016 George Ryder Stakes she was considered a great mare. She has won seven in a row and although already famous in Sydney, hadn’t completely captured the hearts of the rest of Australian horse racing fans let alone the world. Coming up against previous years champion Kermadec, smart youngster Press Statement, First Seal, who had beaten Winx previously in the 2014 Flight Stakes as well as Happy Clapper, Turn Me Loose and Hucklebuck, Winx got caught three wide early but as the field entered the straight and battled through the last furlong she announced herself a true champion of the turf.
George Ryder Stakes - 19 Mar 2016
1. Doncaster Handicap (2016) There is no definitive answer as to who the greatest mare of all time is. However, a race that puts Winx right into the conversation with the likes of Black Caviar, Sunline and Makybe Diva is the 2016 Doncaster Mile. The day in which Winx rubber stamped her champion status with a convincing handicap win. A mare having to carry 56.5kgs in a field of this calibre hadn’t been seen since Sunline scraped home by a nostril carrying 58kgs to her second Doncaster in 2002.
Doncaster Handicap - 2 Apr 2016