By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:45PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Ma And Pa had support and led them up but found the winner too good at 1400m at Kensington. Bred to appreciate the trip, looks to get some on pace favours here and if he’s improved on the back of a solid debut two weeks ago should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 7. Contract Signed ran an even race first-up then plenty to like about how she found the line, on a heavy track, late at Newcastle to get within half a length of the winner. On the up and is worth keeping an eye on. 3. Tuscan Gaze resumed in the same race as Ma And Pa and worked to the line okay in fourth. Was a drifter in betting there so likely open to some improvement. Does have gate one and James McDonald on his side too. 6. Diorissima is now a 10 start maiden but one day soon she’ll put it all together and break through. Not disgraced in an 1800m Highway at Randwick last time on a soft 7 and while back to a mile is capable of running into the finish.
How to play it: Ma And Pa WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Ma And Pa runs second at Kensington on February 17
|Race 2 – 2.20PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Otelo is a bit left field and might not have the best set up from the wide gate but his debut effort at Kensington was excellent at big odds. Once he worked to the outside he attacked the line strongly and expecting him to do the same, it’s just whether 1100m is a touch short.
Dangers: 9. Syracuse comes through the same race and it’s fair to say she was there to win at the 300m but was outgunned late. Blinkers go on, she’ll be up in the first four in running and is hard to beat. 10. Amen Corner has been in and scratched a couple of times since her last trial a month ago, probably looking for a good track. Nothing wrong with her trials, drawn well and if there’s any support she’s in the mix. 3. Brigantine is a half-sister to a couple of stakes winners in Handfast and Rusambo on debut and she showed improvement into her second public trial. Respect the Godolphin/Rachel King combination from a good gate.
How to play it: Otelo E/W ($14 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Otelo runs fourth at Kensington on February 17
|Race 3 – 2:55PM TERRITORIES @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Marnix did enough first-up despite being beaten as favourite at Canterbury to say he can improve here. Drops 2kg and drawn nicely, this would be the most suitable race he’s been in since his maiden win on debut, so expect him to be around the mark.
Dangers: 10. Spectrometer did quite a good job leading all the way first-up at Goulburn with 60kg and can only be fitter. Should race forward and if he gets any control could take a bit of catching. 4. Kiku hasn’t missed a place in five starts and was only beaten half a length in Saturday grade at Rosehill before a break. No public trials so keep an eye on the betting for confidence levels. 8. Darling Diamond might be a next time proposition but she warmed up nicely late in the same race as Marnix, finishing a couple of lengths behind him. Expect her to be strong at the line once again.
How to play it: Marnix E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Marnix runs fifth at Canterbury on February 12
|Race 4 – 3:30PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Dalaalaat won nicely first-up for the new stable then an even effort at Doomben a few weeks back beaten a length. If there’s a speed battle and something has the last shot it profiles as though he’s the one to do that.
Dangers: 5. Coco Cuber is racing consistently and posted a last stride win at Kensington two weeks ago on a soft 7. That was 1000m and he’s yet to win beyond 1100m but is hard to leave out. 3. Nuclear Summit had six weeks between runs when leading and knocking up behind Equation at Canterbury so will be better for the run. Tends to like to lead and while two recent wins have been on wet tracks he can give a sight. 2. Kosciusko was a heavy track winner two starts back then fair effort at Canterbury last time though only beaten two lengths. Can give a sight.
How to play it: Dalaalaat WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Dalaalaat wins at Scone on January 28
|Race 5 – 4:05PM ROBRICK LODGE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Exotic Ruby was thrown in the deep end at Group 2 level last time and wasn’t up to it but not disgraced either. Previous form at this sort of level was consistent, she’ll go forward and on her effort here two starts ago should be going close.
Dangers: 3. Regimental Band won brilliantly first-up last time in then didn’t fire in three subsequent runs at different levels. Trialled okay behind Trumbull at Gosford, gets back but if she’s in order she can be a factor. 5. Hyannis Port is usually closer to the speed than she was first-up here on February 10, in the same race Exotic Ruby ran second, so she could be an improver. 4. Ruby Tuesday is capable of running some very fast sectionals in her races though does get back in the field. Would be no surprise to see her charging at them late if they overdo things up front.
How to play it: Exotic Ruby WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Exotic Ruby runs second at Warwick Farm on February 10
|Race 6 – 4:40PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
9. Alakahan ran right up to his handy first-up effort when up to this trip for a closing second. Should be ready to peak now and stays in similar company. Likely to be in the second half in the run but will be strong at the finish.
Dangers: 2. Jungle Book has held his form since winning over a mile here three starts back and was beaten in a tight finish at Canterbury last time. Has three wins at 2000m so the extra trip should not be a concern. Go well. 3. La Grisa beat Alakahan over this course on February 10 then short priced favourite and disappointed up to 2600m at Gosford. If you can forgive that performance she’s one of the hardest to beat. 13. Space Is Deep was another to disappoint at Gosford after seemingly having a good run. Ran fourth behind La Grisa prior to that and did look to be working up to a win. Giving her one more chance.
How to play it: Alakahan E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Alakahan runs second at Warwick Far on February 10
|Race 7 – 5:15PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Lost And Running will be the shortest priced favourite of the day and he’s hard to go against on what he’s shown in his two impressive wins and trials this time in. Wide gates haven’t troubled him to date and he’ll be the one to beat. Read trainer John O'Shea's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Ocean Emperor has been hot and cold in his four starts for two wins and two flops. The latest was in Listed grade on a wet track so can forgive that one. Trialled well behind Wild Ruler last week and is worth keeping safe. 7. Torun is another lightly raced horse with plenty of promise. Rested after a narrow defeat on a heavy 10 in August at Randwick. Two recent trials have been inconclusive so watch for a push in the betting. 3. Marway was a scratching at the barrier recently since his first-up win here and has been back to the trials. Managed to beat Savatiano in that trial, he’ll be prominent from an inside gate and well worth including.
How to play it: Lost And Running WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lost And Running wins a trial at Randwick on February 16
|Race 8 – 5:50PM TAB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
11. Fashchanel has bumped into a couple of smart ones in her two runs back for seconds to April Rain and Harmony Rose. That form reads very well for this and she drops 4.5kg. Should be ready to win now and just needs the breaks from the outside alley.
Dangers: 6. Saigon hasn’t raced since a very impressive win back in December at Randwick, one that suggested better things could be in store. Trialled behind Lost And Running a couple of weeks back and if there’s an upset it could be her. 9. The Irishman is a very interesting addition to the Mark Newnham stable and trialled behind Farnan in his only local appearance. Listed placed in New Zealand on Boxing Day to the smart Brando so pay to keep him safe. 3. Snitzify is racing in peak form at the moment so can’t be underestimated. Fought back after being challenged at Kensington last time and will give a good account up on the speed.
How to play it: Fashchanel WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fashchanel runs second at Kensington on February 17