By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM 2020 YULONG STALLIONS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
9. Miravalle showed a heap of promise leading up to an inglorious debut in June on a heavy track where she was a beaten favourite. She had some excuses at a vital stage and best to overlook it. Blinkers on, drawn well, good track, trialling fine. Give another chance.
Dangers: 3. Yangtze Rapids looks to have come back in good order judging on his trials and he did run well over this course on debut back in May. Expect he’ll go back from the outside gate and be hitting the line strongly. 7. Covent Garden is of course the half sister to Winx and it’ll be interesting to see what she’s made of on a good track. She clearly didn’t handle the heavy on debut back in June and with that in mind she trialled okay recently. Keep safe. 2. Private Weapon is a big query, he's not been asked for anything at all in his two trials finishing at the back so not sure what's under the locker.
How to play it: Miravalle WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Miravalle runs third in a trial at Randwick on August 25
|Race 2 – 2.00PM FROSTED @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Sixgun looked smart winning on debut then freshened up and blew the start before running on late behind Anders on a heavy track almost a month ago, running the third fastest last 600m of 36.07 (Punter's Intelligence). That’s pretty good form for a midweek race and he did everything right in a subsequent trial. Should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 3. Joviality found the fast lane on the fence in front when she led all the way here three weeks ago though the form has held up a bit with the runner-up winning since. Back onto a good track and probably has company on pace but have to respect the winning margin and form strength. 4. Kaakit Akit was well supported into odds-on when winning on debut in February then not up to it in the Magic Night and spelled. First trial was better than her second but she will go forward and give a good account. 7. Glaciers won well on debut then game at her second start here before going off the boil a little. Trialled up well against Bivouac and can be competitive.
How to play it: Sixgun WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Sixgun runs second in a trial at Warwick Farm on August 25
|Race 3 – 2:35PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. Damaged is crying out for a dry track and gets it here after a luckless first-up third at Canterbury. He was buried back midfield and had to pull out wide to get clear when the fence on-pace was gold. Clocked the fastest last 200m (11.87, Punter's Intelligence) there. Dry track form is excellent and should sit off a strong pace and finish hard.
Dangers: 6. Mr Mosaic won his first two starts from in front then sat outside the lead and was a spent force on the turn at his third run back in November. Hard to miss him winning his two trials by big margins and he will use gate two to his advantage. If he gets any peace he will be very hard to run down but could be vulnerable if pressured. Read co-trainer Sterling Alexiou's comments here. 3. Junglized should just about find the box seat from barrier one and he’s good enough on his day to give it a shake. Second trial was a nice improvement and he’s definitely a dry tracker. 1. Akasaki will sit back off them and look to round them up and he’ll appreciate a class drop on his last few runs where he hasn’t run badly on the whole. Yet to miss top three over this course so could surprise.
How to play it: Damaged WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Damaged runs third at Canterbury on August 19
|Race 4 – 3:10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
5. Wild Sheila is some fresh blood and she comes off a dynamic win on a good track over a similar trip at Newcastle. Granted there’s a bit more depth here but she’s down in weight, hard fit and did show a bit of dash in her recent win. Go well.
Dangers: 1. Home Ground is back in grade after a close third at Randwick over this trip where he hit the lead but lacked the dash of the winner. That’s four good runs back from a long absence so he should be at his top and while giving away weight is the logical horse to beat. 2. Notabadidea is mixing his distances but continues to race well and backs up after a solid third at Gosford last Friday. Hasn’t won in 17 starts on a good track but he has to be an each-way hope. 3. Red Hot Chillypins ran last in the same race as Home Ground at Randwick and that followed a fair effort here over 2200m. Not sure if she’s best on wet tracks, she’s good enough to feature if you can forgive the last couple.
How to play it: Wild Sheila E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Wild Sheila wins at Newcastle on August 22
|Race 5 – 3:45PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Gemmahra had a fair amount of company on the speed first-up at Newcastle and she fought them off, kicked away then held on score impressively. A mile holds no fears, she’s down in the weights and might have a bit of control on speed. Take catching.
Dangers: 1. Bentley Magic hasn’t been at his best on heavy tracks at his last couple but on a soft 6 three back was quite impressive at 1400m here. Has gate on and Nash to ride so well worth another chance. 3. Miyake is a big market watch first-up since a win over 1900m at Canterbury in April. Found the line well in a 1200m trial but so far has been more a second-up performer with both wins coming with a run under his belt. 9. Silent Agenda has been racing well in easier company boxing on into placings at Newcastle and Gosford at his last couple. Backs up from Friday, generally sits somewhere on the speed and can hold on for a placing.
How to play it: Gemmahra WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Gemmahra wins at Newcastle on August 22
|Race 6 – 4:20PM ALL TOO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
9. Return With Honour faces a bit of a D-Day here but he’s in a race he can win. Forgive his first-up defeat in Brisbane, he wasn’t the best away and was stuck back and wide so to be beaten three lengths wasn’t a disgrace. Trialled super before that and drawn well. On his best he should feature.
Dangers: 3. Bartley is fitter for a sound first-up fourth at Randwick on a soft 6 and he’s proven to be much better on top of the ground so he can improve sharply. Will need a bit of luck in running but like Return With Honour is a smart three-year-old who is right in this. 6. Nerone won two of his last three at Bendigo as favourite and is a bit of a query here first-up. Chased Anders in one trial then worked home okay in the second without any pressure. Watch betting but has a case from barrier one. 10. Aftermath didn’t go a yard on a heavy 10 first-up at Randwick and was basically eased down when out of contention. His Black Opal run against Bartley reads well for this on a good track so he could lift sharply.
How to play it: Return With Honour WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Return With Honour’s first-up run at Eagle Farm on August 15
|Race 7 – 4:55PM TAB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Twice As Special won so well first-up, albeit on a heavy track, there’s no reason she can’t continue her rise. The form has held up and she did win over this course on a good track before a spell. Needs the breaks in running as always but will be charging if she gets them.
Dangers: 2. Phemonoe should be forgiven for a first-up run that didn’t pan out at all well for her given her position in running and the pattern. Trialled well going in and she was promising in her first campaign. Definite chance. 3. Karaja can improve sharply back onto a good track after two runs back in heavy ground. The first-up effort wasn’t bad but she was never in it at Canterbury last time. Claim helps and drawn well so expect her to fare better. 5. Willowheart has been a little disappointing in two runs back but at the same time hasn't been that far off them. Scratchings help her cause and she is worth another chance.
How to play it: Twice As Special E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Twice As Special wins at Randwick on August 15