By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 2:00PM CAMERA HOUSE PROMASTER HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Bondi Blue ran right up to his excellent trials first-up just finding Faretti a bit too nippy but he hit the line strongly into second, running a race best 33.49 for his last 600m (Punter's Intelligence). Goes to 1400m with blinkers on and while the speed in the race looks patchy he jumped well fresh so could settle in the first half. Have to be with him here.
Dangers: 11. Quintessa may be more a next start horse but she showed before a break with her fast finishing third at Canterbury there is some promise in her. Trialled well and should be the one storming home. 7. Warp Speed is way over the odds after his debut effort which was a lot better than it looks. He blew the start so was out the back but he worked his way home impressively, running not a lot slower last 600m than Bondi Blue. Up in distance and no surprise to see him in the finish. 1. Cock Match probably leads them here. Game behind Brandenburg two starts back then couldn’t stay with the leader in the Stan Fox and knocked up late. If he has a cheap lead he can take running down.
How to play it: Bondi Blue WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bondi Blue runs second at Randwick on October 9
|Race 2 - 2:35PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
4. Kentucky Diva won’t find a better opportunity to break through than this race. But it will test her versatility in a race without a lot of speed. She was brave when fourth over 2130m here last time sustaining a long run from the back. Small field suits and this is her chance.
Dangers: 2. Fairlight is fitter for two runs back from a spell and expecting improvement after he weakened a bit late in the same race as Kentucky Diva last time. 1. Desert Path also comes through that race and he worked home without threatening from last to be beaten two lengths. Had a few chances of late and that’s the major concern with him. 5. So It Is is an honest stayer coming off a win over 2850m. No weight, distance obviously no issue and it wouldn't shock if she placed.
How to play it: Kentucky Diva WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kentucky Diva runs fourth at Warwick Farm on October 7
|Race 3 – 3.10PM CAMERA HOUSE PHOTO FINISHING HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Statuesquely is a promising middle distance mare resuming and could well find an easy lead here. She hasn’t led in her trials but looked good running third in both and while beaten at this trip on debut she bumped into a handy one there. Looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Sakura atoned for a narrow second-up defeat with a narrow win over 1200m here a couple of weeks ago. Shouldn’t be an issue with 1400m and drawn to have her chance. Must be included. 2. Guise is yet to miss a place in six starts and she’s trialled up twice for a first-up run here. She will be more effective beyond a mile but done nothing wrong so rather keep her in the mix. 9. St Covet’s Spirit has mixed it with Funstar and Probabeel at her last two so this is a serious class drop. Prior to that won a maiden at Canterbury and with the small field now she has to be respected.
How to play it: Statuesquely WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Statuesquely runs third in a Gosford trial on October 8
|Race 4 – 3.50PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Tricky Gal is hard to tip against though she will need to produce another big performance in a race that could be slowly run. Took off from last and beat a better field than she meets here over the same course last time and if she gets the breaks she needs she can win again. Read trainer Matthew Smith's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Soldier Of Love had some support at odds first-up and ran up to it with a handy fourth over 1400m two weeks ago. Can be closer in the run now up in distance, has won second-up and looks an improver. 2. Iggy The Moocher resumed in the same race as Soldier Of Love and it was a total forgive effort as he was back and wide and never in it. Drawn one here, down in weight and improvement would not surprise at all. 8. Costas also contested that race first-up and ran on without threatening beaten two lengths. A mile suits him but may well want a bit further.
How to play it: Tricky Gal WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Tricky Gal wins at Warwick Farm on October 7
|Race 5 – 4.30PM CAMERA HOUSE MOVING PICTURES HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
10. Appian Way led them up and went down fighting two weeks ago on the Kensington track and the way this race sets up looks to be ideal for her. She can sit right behind the speed and hopefully a gap opens at the right time. No harder than last run and should go close.
Dangers: 3. Trumbull is fitter for two runs back. Wasn’t suited to leading first-up then off the pace and made a late dive to miss by a head or so last time. Soft draw, claim helps and he should be in the finish again. 1. Stephan is a little under rated and he did run a nice race in similar grade here back in February and won at 1100m in March. Resuming without a public trial but clever claim with a heavyweight apprentice and he can feature. 4. Rebel Miss doesn’t often have the luck she needs but if they overcook this race she’s the type who could have the last shot. Total excuse last time when wide in a scamper, likes her home track and wouldn’t shock if she’s in the numbers.
How to play it: Appian Way E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Appian Way runs second at Randwick on October 7
|Race 6 – 5.10PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Foreign Territory appeals as a good each way chance in a tricky race to map. No doubt he should have run third when resuming at 1200m here and he always improves with a run, especially into a race over a more suitable trip and one he could get a nice run in on the speed. Go well.
Dangers: 13. Zouologist is a huge watch first-up without any public trials. Won a weak maiden first-up last prep but strongly then handy effort behind Reelem In Ruby before a pass mark over a mile at the Scone carnival. Any support or drift should be noted. 11. Live The Moment is racing well and threw the race away when he ran off the track two weeks ago at Kensington. Nash is a good booking for him and he is one of the major chances. 1. Tahsin did a pretty big job when resuming here in the same race as Foreign Territory given he’s not a 1200m horse and worked quite hard in the run. More effective at a mile but have to keep him safe.
How to play it: Foreign Territory E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Foreign Territory runs fourth at Warwick Farm on October 8
|Race 7 - 5:50PM RIBCHESTER @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Jetski is flying this time in and while up in class he looks suited by what should be a solidly run race. Ran well first-up in a strong maiden then broke through at Kembla before a dominant display at Gosford a few weeks ago. Drawn to get cover and sure to be storming home.
Dangers: 10. Zoushack appears the one he’ll have to run down. Blew the start at Moonee Valley last time and ran very well to finish third beaten a length. Led all the way prior to Seymour and if he gets away with them should give a sight. 8. Vedder ran a huge race when resuming with a narrow defeat then worked hard and was found out second-up. Kept fresh and if he finds a softer run he could easily bounce back. 5. Dunbrody Power has to be included as she continues to race well. Wide barrier not so much of an issue at this start point and doesn’t mind a bit of room. Each-way claims again.
How to play it: Jetski WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Jetski wins at Gosford on October 3