By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Warwick Farm meeting. Selections based on a soft 5-6 track.
|Race 1 – 12:45PM TAB REWARDS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
7. L’Cosmo is coming back in trip and takes on older horses but she looks to be coming out of a stronger race where she chased home Maddi Rocks at Canterbury. Looks to be enough pace for her to settle back or slot in midfield and she should take plenty of beating.
Dangers: 3. On Her Word is a big danger, she’s had no luck at all at both her starts, sitting wide but not throwing in the towel and toughing it out for second on both occasions. Only the one turn for her to get around here and she has to be respected. 6. Havin’ Fun has trialled up okay ahead of her debut, winning from on the speed at Wyong then a quiet trial back off them at Randwick. Wouldn’t surprise to see her run well. 2. Lillium hasn’t been asked for a whole lot in her latest couple of trials so not sure what’s under the locker just yet. Drawn softly and if there’s any support she could feature.
How to play it: L’Cosmo WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds).
L’Cosmo runs second to Maddi Rocks at Canterbury on May 22
|Race 2 - 1:20PM WINTER RACING PLATE (1100 METRES)|
Taking him on trust a bit but 2. Sneaking To Win showed so much promise last time in he’s worth sticking with fresh on the back of two nice easy trials. Luckless on debut in a strong maiden then shade disappointing when heavily backed second-up. Goes close on debut effort.
Dangers: 5. Disruptor hasn’t been afforded a lot of luck this time in, brave to Reloaded fresh then trapped wide in Group 2 company in Brisbane. Fair in the Sires’ there last time and comes back in class and distance here. Drawn one so he won’t be trapped off the track and has his chance. 4. You’re Next bumped into Vegadaze on debut then just outpointed by Bucephalus at his only other start back in January. Took on open company in his only trial this time in and watch for any support. Strong claims. 7. Vaporizing has been around the mark and gets the blinkers on first time. That could spark some improvement but this is a strong race.
How to play it: Sneaking To Win WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sneaking To Win’s latest trial at Rosehill on June 7
|Race 3 – 1.55PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS PLATE (1200 METRES)|
2. California Salto looks poised to break through after two eye-catching runs, the latest at Warwick Farm where she was back and wide (with cover) before charging home into second behind Minted who had led and controlled. Kinder draw and is clearly on top.
Dangers: 7. Mini Boom has some compelling form lines through her debut third at Gosford where Catwalk, a winner at Randwick on Saturday, just claimed her late for second. She will press forward from the wide gate and is the likely leader so has a good chance. 12. Seraph has trialled up nicely without having a flashing light on against a few reasonable youngsters. Drawn nicely and the claim for Robbie Dolan is handy, she could be a good each-way hope at odds. 8. Oh So Hot is a little hard to line up, we haven’t seen her since November where she was beaten less than half a length by Kiamichi! Fourth to Time To Reign before that too. Latest trial was okay against older horses and she could show up.
How to play it: California Salto WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
California Salto runs second at Warwick Farm on May 29
|Race 4 – 2.30PM PLUCK @ VINERY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Pop Girl has performed best when she can stalk the speed and sprint early in the straight as she did at Gosford winning easily a couple of weeks back. She’s held her own in town, drawn to get that stalking role and is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 9. Neshmiya won well at Newcastle before chasing Pop Girl home at Gosford where, perhaps she could have finished a shade closer but doubt she’d have got near the winner. Shade worse off at the weights here but have to consider her a threat again. 3. Lady Of Shalott appreciated a class drop and hit the line quite well late at Canterbury three weeks back. Might have to go back again here from the wide gate but she’ll be hitting the line well again. 2. Sedgemoor beat subsequent winner Milunka here last start but she beats him in a couple of bounds and he has to take on more experienced rivals here. He’s progressive so he could be up to it but thought he was under the odds.
How to play it: Pop Girl E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Pop Girl wins at Gosford on May 30
|Race 5 – 3.05PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Embracer goes on top because it appears he’ll control the race from the front as he did when bating a handy one at Warwick Farm a fortnight ago. Stays at 1200m and if allowed to dictate it’ll take a good performance to run him down. Read co-trainer Adrian Bott's comments here.
Dangers: 4. Bare Naked Lady is no pushover and she has the ability to race handy so probably won’t be too far away from Embracer in the run. All four runs this time in have been good and she’s the logical danger. 5. Jack’s Bar is another who is capable of giving the race a shake. He blew the start here last time and not much went right for him from there so his effort to get as close as he did had plenty of merit. Well worth including. 2. Skyray ran an improved race second-up in Saturday company and might be on the way to some form. Chance to show something of his best here but each-way claims is safer.
How to play it: Embracer WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Embracer wins at Warwick Farm on May 29
|Race 6 – 3.40PM BRADLEY PHOTOGRAPHERS HANDICAP (2110 METRES)|
2. Loveisili is a very promising stayer and he did a good job winning at Canterbury last week when back 200m on his second-up win. He is worse off at the weights compared to the runner-up but he has all the upside and will put himself in the race early. Take beating.
Dangers: 1. Raqeeq flopped badly at Scone, there had to be something amiss but nothing came up in the stewards report, but bounced back with a solid third behind Wolfe at Randwick. Needs a win, he’s three from 27, but if he backs up that last effort he’s a threat. 9. Kaapfever is racing well without winning and steps to this trip for the first time after his second to Loveisili. He’s 4kg better off so has the chance to turn the tables. 7. Stardome looked gone on the home turn but somehow battled away to run fourth behind Nobu at Randwick and turns up here in blinkers first time. If they switch him on he could jump out of the ground.
How to play it: Loveisili WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Loveisili wins at Canterbury on June 5
|Race 7 - 4:15PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
3. Sweet Ava won’t get a better chance to post an overdue win in a race where she should be able to control her destiny either in front or on the speed. Led at Rosehill behind Reelem In Ruby last time which is good form and she’s back 100m and a couple of grades into this.
Dangers: 7. Unguarded has the ability to win this, as her third at Randwick on Anzac Day shows, and she probably should have won at Kembla last time. Launched late when it was all over. Only win at this trip and placed here previously. Hard to beat. 8. Seles was good very late when she resumed last week in a race controlled on the speed. Backing up is a good sign and she’s open to improvement. 10. One Fire Beach was ordinary as an odds-on favourite at Newcastle last time but on her handy second in a similar race to this a month ago she’d be well worth another chance.
How to play it: Sweet Ava WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sweet Ava runs third at Rosehill on June 1