Brenton Avdulla - Before the Racing Appeals Panel of NSW
Licensed jockey Brenton Avdulla lodged an appeal against conviction and penalty after being found guilty by Racing NSW Stewards under AR137(a) after his ride on Evalina in Race 1 (2019 Membership Handicap, 1400m) at Royal Randwick Racecourse on Saturday 27 October, 2018.
Following a Stewards inquiry on this date, Mr Avdulla was suspended for a period commencing Sunday, 4 November 2018 and to expire on Thursday, 15 November 2018 on which day he may ride.
The appeal was heard on Thursday, 1 November 2018 by the Racing Appeals Panel presided by Mr R. Beasley SC at the offices of Racing NSW commencing at 10am.
The Panel gave the following orders:
1. Appeal against finding of breach of AR137(a) dismissed.
2. Finding of breach of AR137(a) confirmed.
3. Appeal against severity of penalty allowed.
4. In lieu of a 4 meeting penalty, a 3 meeting penalty is imposed. The penalty commences on 4 November 2018 and concludes on 11 November 2018, on which day the appellant may ride.
5. Appeal deposit forfeited.