By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 2:00PM IMPENDING @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Lord Olympus should arguably be unbeaten but he atoned for an unlucky Hawkesbury defeat with a game on pace Canterbury win over Sweet Reply, who was unlucky herself since, earlier this month. Yet to see a wet track but hard to knock. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Shadow Chaser was a popular winner on a heavy 10 before a spell and finished close up in a strong maiden here back in July on a soft 7. Trialling well, gelded now and is more than capable of winning. 5. Mrs Maisel made ground from last when resuming at Warwick Farm and wasn’t disgraced. Second-up winner last time in and she was placed on a heavy at Rosehill last prep. Not out of it. 7. Selburose had some support first-up and went down fighting behind Ellsberg two weeks ago. Has a heavy track failure but that was on debut.
How to play it: Lord Olympus WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Lord Olympus wins at Canterbury on October 5
|Race 2 – 2.35PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
2. Parry Sound deserves to be favourite and while he hasn’t raced on a heavy track he’s bred to handle it and he’s hard fit after three runs back. Far too strong out to 2200m third-up and has been set up well for this trip now. Should go close.
Dangers: 1. Frenzied is a bulldog and he toughed it out to win over this course a month ago. Trialled since and he while he is also a query on a heavy track we haven’t seen enough of him in the wet to judge. Good chance. 6. Notabadharada mixes distances and while he hasn’t been placed at his last seven starts he hasn’t been too far away. Is a heavy track winner and was only three lengths off Frenzied two runs back at this trip. Has a show. 7. Wristband has a poor strike rate but does perform with the sting out of the track. Has been a beaten favourite at his last three but not out of this.
How to play it: Parry Sound WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Parry Sound wins at Warwick Farm on October 14
|Race 3 – 3:10PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
5. Dream Circle has a good chance to post a win on the back of some handy form this time in including a sound third at Randwick behind Bombasay. Up in trip but drawn well and with the claim is nicely weighted for a drop in class. Will need the breaks but has strong claims.
Dangers: 4. Wairere Falls backs up after a strong finishing win at Hawkesbury last week where he settled last and came down the outside fence to score. Has handled a soft 7 in Victoria so track should be okay, he’s on the up and is the logical danger. 6. Notabadidea is back from the 2600m of the St Leger but was placed over a mile at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. He’s another that mixes trips and he’s also proven in the wet so he has to stay under notice. 1. Chalmers has found form again with a couple of wins out of down but does have the steadier of 61kg. Drawn well and handles the wet so more than capable of being competitive.
How to play it: Dream Circle WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Dream Circle runs third at Randwick on October 17
|Race 4 – 3:50PM VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
2. Catapult is a very consistent gelding and he’s working up to a win. Ran a smart one to a small margin at Newcastle third-up, handles all conditions and drawn well for a strong rider. Hard to see him not being in the finish here.
Dangers: 5. Just Field has a small heavy track query but hasn’t been tried in it so can’t be condemned. Seemed to have her chance at Warwick Farm last time but previous form good including a second to Emeralds. Definite threat. 6. Bob’s Your Uncle has some good wet track form from last time in over a bit further and resumes without a public trial. One to keep an eye on first-up in suitable ground. 1. Sausedge is arguably the best horse in the race and she’s a BM78 winner in town. Disappointed before a spell but has trialled twice on wet tracks and is sure to be hitting the line strongly. Can’t overlook her.
How to play it: Catapult WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Catapult runs second at Newcastle on October 17
|Race 5 – 4:30PM HEINEKEN HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
7. Karmazone is threatening to win a race and this could be a good chance. Racing well of late and closed off nicely in a race not run to suit at Warwick Farm when just behind the placings. Runner-up has since won. Good each-way hope.
Dangers: 4. Nyami appears a very promising horse and has shown plenty of purpose in two wins this time in at the provincials. Yet to see a heavy track, his soft win was on a 5 so that doesn’t count as a wet track win. Can be hard to hold out if he handles the ground. 2. Time Raid was ridden back last time and didn't really come into play. On speed in his Warwick Farm win prior to that and does handle the wet so no surprise to see him bounce back. 8. Kutayha is lightly raced and comes off an easy maiden win at Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. Placed on a soft 7 at his second start, while up in class he could be an improver.
How to play it: Karmazone E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Karmazone runs fourth at Warwick Farm on October 7
|Race 6 – 5:10PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
7. Snippy Fox has been racing well on good tracks at this level but a wet track might make her a lot harder to beat. Won both heavy track starts when coming through the grades and has drawn quite well to get her chance.
Dangers: 4. Money Magic is a lot better than her first-up run suggests and it’s best to overlook it. May have been in season so there’s an excuse. Has placed on a soft 7 so the wet is no worry and expect her to show a lot more here.. 3. Romantic Whisper is generally a front runner and she’s been fitted with a couple of trials for a first-up run. Fresh form is patchy but does handle the heavy and shouldn’t be underestimated. 1. On The White Turf is fitter for one runs back and out to a more suitable sort of distance. Gets back, runs on and the heavy is no issue for her. Blinkers first time so expect her to show something.
How to play it: Snippy Fox E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Snippy Fox runs third at Warwick Farm on October 14
|Race 7 – 5:50PM TAB LONG MAY WE PLAY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
13. Vulpine is a lightly raced mare with good wet track credentials resuming with an impressive barrier trial win under her belt. Placed on a heavy track here before a spell and expect she will roll forward and look to land on the speed. Look for support as a pointer but go well.
Dangers: 2. Shadow Crush failed at his only heavy track attempt but fair to say he’s going a lot better now than he was then. Dominant winner two weeks ago and form through Canterbury fourth two runs back is good. Must include. 5. Deference didn’t do a whole lot when resuming but he is proven in heavy ground. Wide gate may be an issue but it could be a plus if the pattern swings that way. Capable of being in the finish if the circumstances are right for him. 1. Darleb has ability and a handy wet track record and can easily run a race fresh. Fitter for two trials and any betting moves would be significant.
How to play it: Vulpine WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Vulpine wins a trial at Gosford on October 14