By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Kembla Grange meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:15PM CUDGEREE BAY PLATE (2000 METRES)|
4. De Valera has settled back and run on at his last couple since stepping up to a mile and beyond. Didn’t threaten when fourth at Newcastle but ready for 2000m and is in the mix in an open race.
Dangers: 3. Castel Sant’angelo disappointed as an easing odds-on favourite in the same race as De Valera. He led and had his chance but only held on for third. Likely leader again and will be fitter so one more chance. 1. Black Sunrise was also beaten at odds-on at his latest attempt and steps up to 2000m for the first time. Should be on the pace somewhere and that will give him a shot. 11. Pellicle has a heavy track placing to her name and was racing well prior to an ordinary effort when well fancied at Gosford. Could improve.
How to play it: De Valera E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
De Valera runs fourth at Newcastle on June 8
|Race 2 - 12:50PM PURRY BURRY POINT PLATE (1500 METRES)|
7. Lucknow Lady gets her chance to break through with the blinkers going on. No luck on debut at this track then had to wait to get to the outside before running on at Kensington last time. No harder here and she’s the one to beat. Read jockey Robbie Dolan's comments here.
Dangers: 6. Betty Blooms started a well supported favourite in the same trace as Lucknow Lady and led but was no match late. Gets a weight swing in her favour and that commands her some respect. 2. Classic Gaming attacked the line well behind Funstar on debut then battled on okay here up to 1400m. Showing some promise and shapes as though the extra trip will help him. Definite chance. 4. Disco Mo will be up on the speed as he has been in his last few starts. No match for the winner at Kensington last time and may have to work a bit from the outside here. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Lucknow Lady WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucknow Lady runs fourth at Kensington on June 10
|Race 3 – 1.25PM LANGS POINT HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Antonio returns as a gelding and there’s nothing wrong with the form around his two starts to date. Wasn’t tested in his last trial where he led and ran third and expect he’ll try to lead all the way here. Yet to see a wet track but on face value should go close.
Dangers: 4. Fearless Mila could be some competition for the lead but will have to try to cross Antonio to get it. She led and boxed on fairly at Gosford last time, also no wet credentials but sure to give a good account. 5. Freefica was an easing favourite on debut at Hawkesbury and appeared to have her chance finishing midfield. Better for that run and is open to improvement so in a race of few chances she can lift. 2. Bryan Roy only has one trial behind him and it was on a soft 7 here against open company. Wouldn’t shock to see him fill a minor placing.
How to play it: Antonio WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds).
Antonio runs third in a Randwick trial on June 14
|Race 4 – 2.05PM TUGGERAH BAY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Sebring Express tends to race best early in her preparations and attacks this first-up with two trials under the belt. She’s okay on a wet track, in well with the claim and is right back in class on what she contested last time in. Go well.
Dangers: 6. Belitsa takes on the older horses here first-up and her only failure was in the Reisling in March at G2 level. Hit the line nicely in her latest trial on a heavy track, drawn wide but usually races forward. Must be respected. 2. Commanding Witness is coming off a long absence and only raced the once in the past two years. He has won a trial leading into this and any market confidence would be a plus. Could be a risk but rather include than dismiss. 11. Dizzy Miss Lizzy is racing well without winning and was narrowly beaten on a heavy track at Nowra first-up. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Sebring Express E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sebring Express wins a trial at Hawkesbury on June 17
|Race 5 – 2.40PM HOOKA ISLAND HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Tereka wasn’t fancied when she resumed at Warwick Farm but she was running on nicely late into fourth on a soft 6. Fitter for that and less depth in this field so if she has the upside that she should then she’s one of the hardest to beat.
Dangers: 1. Deelbraka has been a beaten favourite at his last five starts so is proving very costly. Placed here on a heavy track in one of those races and has two trials in recent weeks. Not overly big and has the 60kg but this is another chance for him. 3. Against The Tide ran on from last in a small field into third here over 1000m fresh so perhaps the 1200m will suit. Did fail on a heavy here before a spell but first-up run was encouraging. 4. Design Ahead resumed with a much improved third over this course despite being unfancied. Open to further improvement and could be placed again.
How to play it: Tereka E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Tereka runs fourth at Warwick Farm on June 12
|Race 6 – 3.15PM GOOSEBERRY ISLAND PLATE (1200 METRES)|
3. Designated caught the eye at this track second-up, he got a long way back after stumbling at the start and was making plenty of ground into fourth. Up in trip is a tick, obvious wet track query but if he steps away with them he can be in the finish at odds.
Dangers: 5. Excellent Proposal has trialled nicely on two occasions and was holding off the challenge of Duty when winning his latest hitout. Sure to run a nice race. 12. Toomai is a big market watch with just the one trial in public over a month ago and it was a very quiet one out the back over 804m. Any support would be significant with little to go on from the trial. 1. California August comes out of the same trial as Excellent Proposal where he didn’t look to be unduly pressured. In good hands and has an each-way show.
How to play it: Designated E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Designated runs fourth at Kembla Grange on June 15
|Race 7 - 3:50PM BOOMBERRY POINT HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Morpheus failed at his only start on a heavy track but was spelled straight after that and is back as a gelding now. Trial winner recently and while 1200m is short of his best expect him to be running on, but with the race falling away he has to be a good chance to win fresh.
Dangers: 8. Micks New Chick is a consistent mare with a heavy track placing at Kembla against her name. No public trials leading into this first-up run but well worth keeping in mind. 9. Margie Bee was an upset winner at Newcastle last start but did all the work leading throughout. Has a soft 7 placing so she's a good chance to handle the heavy. Include. 4. Say Goodbye is an unknown in the wet but comes off a strong maiden win at Gosford and shouldn't be overlooked.
How to play it: Morpheus WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Morpheus wins a trial at Randwick on June 14
|Race 8 - 4:25PM TALLAWARRA POINT HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
11. Carambola broke her maiden status at start two on a soft track here then resumed with a solid fourth behind Aim For Perfection at Newcastle. Fitter for that and looks one of the main chances.
Dangers: 4. More Than A Horse overcame some trouble to post a pretty soft win at Newcastle second-up and looks a horse on the way up. No wet track form to go on but if he handles it he’s in the mix. 3. Miss Jenny is unbeaten on heavy tracks so it wouldn’t surprise to see her improve sharply on an even first-up effort at Newcastle. In top local stable and has to be considered. 10. The Soloist is rarely far away and is down in class on a solid third at Doomben a couple of weeks back. Unproven in the heavy but looks capable of showing up.
How to play it: Carambola E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Carambola's last start fourth at Newcastle on June 8