By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM TAB HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Brazenpine impressed winning at Gosford in a good form race then lost on protest at Kembla under windy conditions two weeks ago. Should settle just off the pace here and prove very hard to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Aeecee Vinco comes well in with the claim after a strong first-up win at Goulburn where he basically led most of the way. Won only two starts away from city company so has to be respected. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments on his three runners here. 2. Ariege won narrowly at Goulburn before hitting the front on a heavy track at Kembla and going down in the closing stages. Firmer surface is a plus and she’s one of the main chances. 4. Cassy’s Sister led all the way to an easy win at Coonamble and she’s already proven herself in some solid company so can’t be overlooked.
How to play it: Brazenpine WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Brazenpine is first past the post at Kembla on October 17 but lost on protest
|Race 2 - 2:00PM ILG HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Switched has very appealing form around her first preparation. Won on debut then nailed late by Catwalk and stayed on well behind Funstar in her two city starts. Trialling very well and looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Super Oasis has race fitness and she was hitting the line nicely beaten half a length at Kensington last time. That was off a month’s break and she has more than enough talent to win this. Logical threat. 7. Kariba comes through the same trial as Switched finishing just ahead of her. Nice before before a spell running third at Wyong and is well worth including. 5. Sally’s Day romped home here first-up then seemed to have her chance as favourite a month ago. Maybe freshened up is the key and if she returns to the form of her previous run she’s right in this.
How to play it: Switched WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Switched runs third in a Warwick Farm trial on October 22
|Race 3 – 2.35PM PINK FINSS HANDICAP (2000 METRES)|
4. Proven Class is fitter for two runs back and looks to be closing in on a win. Led and ambushed by the winner at Newcastle last time and sets up well for this distance third-up. Good chance to break through.
Dangers: 2. Poulton Le Sands disappointed last time at Kensington but find this a bit easier and he did run quite well into fourth over 2100m here prior to that. Overlook last run and he’s in the mix. 3. Vineyard has put two together over a mile in the country and will probably lead them here. Query at the extra trip but hard to knock otherwise. Can give a sight. 1. Californiafirebird comes back from three starts at city midweek level where he’s been just behind the placings. Had his chance by the same token but no surprise to see him improve.
How to play it: Proven Class WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Proven Class runs second at Newcastle on October 15
|Race 4 – 3.10PM POLYTRACK HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. City Of Love is favourite here but looks ready to win after two runs back. Took off before the turn and hit the front early in the straight but as nailed late at Wyong last time. Close to peak now and chance to go one better.
Dangers: 6. Lavish Rose may have needed the run when resuming over 1300m at Newcastle and did continue to improve through last prep. Won easily over a mile with a positive ride in July and be wary of sharp improvement. 1. Nordic is a big watch first-up from NZ for John O’Shea and he’s only had the one quiet trial so betting will be a big pointer. Consistent record in NZ and 1600m fresh seems to suit on his form. 5. Silent Agenda showed improvement third-up in a similar sort of race at Kembla a couple of weeks ago. A repeat could see him in the finish somewhere.
How to play it: City Of Love WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
City Of Love runs second at Wyong on October 10
|Race 5 – 3.50PM LANDER TOYOTA PLATE (1500 METRES)|
3. Persan comes right back in class from G1 contests and other carnival races and arrives in a maiden with blinkers on. Back in trip from the Spring Champion but ran well in the Gloaming prior and this race has really fallen away for him.
Dangers: 9. Sky Diamonds has put together a couple of nice efforts and ran on well into third at Wyong last week. Should handle the extra trip and drawn barrier one. Each-way claims. 8. Shadow Girl poked along the fence on debut and got up for third at Kensington, though no match for the winner. Easier here and entitled to show up. 10. Zoumaze has had a few chances but stayed on well last time at Canberra and not a lot of speed here so has some hope.
How to play it: Persan WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Persan runs fifth in the Gloaming Stakes at Rosehill on September 28
|Race 6 – 4.30PM LIVAMOL HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Convinced won well here before a spell and resumed with an eye-catching third at Newcastle over 1200m, clocking the race's fastest last 600m in 34.12 and final 200m of 11.64 (Punter's Intelligence). The barrier is a small concern as he’ll have to go back but he looks set for a win shortly and with even luck should go close.
Dangers: 7. Magnificently made her run with the winner at Wyong second-up but was just found wanting in the last 50m. Fitter for that and can race handy so must be respected here. 8. Nahab sprouted wings late to win third-up at Canberra over 1300m and has a better draw here so might settle a bit closer. Tougher task this time but on the up and is worth including. 2. Golwen raced on the pace at Kembla at start two on a heavy track and was a bit too good late. Every chance from a soft draw.
How to play it: Convinced WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Convinced runs third at Newcastle on October 5
|Race 7 - 5:10PM WAGE COVER HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
8. Johnny Roo Boy did an amazing job to run second when coming off a two month break at Gosford. Carted the field to a tearaway leader and was still fighting it out on the line. Given time to get over that and expect him to give a good account here.
Dangers: 3. Little Al was a beaten favourite at Wyong before racing handy and battling on into fourth at Newcastle, the same race as Convinced from race six. Drawn well and will be around the mark. 4. Quick Finance is a consistent type who seems to lack that little 10 per cent late but he’s fresh and should find himself in the first four or five home in an open race. 6. Coolgardie arrived in time to score at Kembla second-up on a heavy track. Up in class but lightly raced and good ground isn’t a worry. Each-way.
How to play it: Johnny Roo Boy E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Johnny Roo Boy runs second at Gosford on October 3
|Race 8 - 5:50PM FISHBOYS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Axe trialled up well before his debut behind Faretti where he was looming then dropped away suddenly. Pulled up with cardiac arrhythmia so total forgive and trialled really well since then. Strong claims here.
Dangers: 11. She’s Smart started favourite first-up at Kembla and it was a strange run going back then forward then back again before finishing a close third. Fitter and well worth another chance. 3. Trapassi disappointed on debut here then freshened up and a much better effort at Kembla on a heavy track. If it wasn’t the wet track that saw the improvement then he’s right in the mix here. 6. Miss Spiteful is a big watch on debut for the Waterhouse/Bott stable and she’s trialled well on two occasions. Betting a strong pointer but expect she’ll give a sight.
How to play it: Axe WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Axe wins a trial at Rosehill on October 18