By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a heavy track.
|Race 1 – 1:15PM NATIONAL JOCKEYS TRUST HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
5. Calbuco was something of an outsider last time but ran a blinder in finishing a close third on heavy at this track a couple of weeks ago. Expect will race handy again and was strong at the line so an extra 200m looks good. Sure to run well.
Dangers: 2. Pride Of Islington did enough on debut at Gosford at 1200m to suggest she could be a sharp improver up in distance. Was a drifter in betting there so keep an eye out for support and follow accordingly. 9. Vigoroso led them up on a heavy track at Kembla last time and wound up closer to the inside than the outside where the winner came. Has been thereabouts and this is a very winnable race. 3. Principatus is racing well without winning this time in. Finished just ahead of Vigoroso at Kembla though being a backmarker he could be disadvantaged in a race that lacks any tempo. If it’s run to suit he can go close.
How to play it: Calbuco WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Calbuco runs third at Hawkesbury on July 12
|Race 2 – 1.50PM ANIMALCARE HEALTH & PERFORMANCE SUPPLIES HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. Roman normally races a lot closer than he did in his solid third in a Highway at Rosehill a few weeks back, on a heavy track. It was a strong Class 3 and gets in well here after the claim. Only has to hold his form to be in the finish.
Dangers: 5. Happy Candy started favourite at Gosford second-up and was ambushed with the winner gaining inside runs on him while he circled. Close to another win and looks one of the major chances. 1. Fantasy Eagle looked gone before the turn at Gosford at his first provincial attempt but rallied strongly to close in behind Chalk and claim second. No harder here and the bigger track might suit him too. 4. Whitchety Grub has had a couple of confidence boosting wins at Bathurst and Mudgee so hits this tougher task in peak form. Any improvement in the track would be to her advantage and could measure up.
How to play it: Roman WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Roman runs third at Rosehill on July 11
|Race 3 – 2:25PM TYREEL STUD HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
1. Shamamour showed plenty of toughness to edge out his main rival on a heavy track here a couple of weeks ago and it stands him in good stead to step up in trip. Up 2kg also but only has to hold his form to take beating again.
Dangers: 4. Hendo’s Magic is back a notch in class on his second over this course at the same meeting. Right at his top fitness wise you would think now after four runs back and is sure to be competitive. 3. Peralta has mixed his efforts in three runs back. Good when winning at Kembla second-up then ridden on the speed and just battled at Goulburn. Capable on his day, 1800m shouldn’t be beyond him and he’s one of the chances without being bullish. 6. Enduring Night is a get back, run on, type and did that when arriving for third at Gosford at 1900m fourth-up from a break. Expect something similar from him at least.
How to play it: Shamamour WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Shamamour wins at Hawkesbury on July 12
|Race 4 – 3:05PM BRAD WIDDUP RACING PLATE (1800 METRES)|
2. Olmeto is arguably the most interesting runner of the day tackling this race first-up at 1800m on a heavy track. Showed some promise over a trip last time in and his latest trial was encouraging. Market will be crucial but strikes a very winnable race.
Dangers: 1. Club Legend just came off second best late in a battle with a progressive type at Wagga on a heavy track second-up. That was his best effort in seven starts to date and will appreciate the extra trip. Danger. 7. Misty Brook is an on pacer who has been racing well without getting the job done so far. Has three runs at a mile on end so is steeled for the trip and could run into a placing again. 4. Bianchi Cup has been disappointing so far with a couple of unplaced efforts of late when in the market. Blinkers off and you’d imagine she needs to show something soon to stay in the blue colours.
How to play it: Olmeto WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Olmeto runs second in a Hawkesbury trial on July 20
|Race 5 – 3:40PM CAVALLO PARK STUD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Biscara has found a good race given her recent Highway form. Scored a nice win on a heavy at Randwick in May then not beaten far at the same track two weeks later. Freshened up and has trialled, races handy and all wins are at 1000m. Go well.
Dangers: 1. Bombdiggity raced pretty well through last prep and has an imposing first-up record. Handy enough trial behind Chalk at Goulburn, that horse has since won, and while no heavy track form is a Soft 7 winner so you’d back him to handle it. Good chance. 2. Whycatchim mixes his form but has a heavy 10 placing two starts back that brings him into consideration. Outclassed at Warwick Farm in his latest but expect him to perform much better here. 5. Captain Courageous managed to beat Matowatakpe first-up then on speed and faded here four weeks ago. Worth another chance on fresh effort.
How to play it: Biscara WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Biscara runs second in a trial at Canberra on July 8
|Race 6 – 4:15PM GLENN HAVEN RACING HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. Torun takes on older horses for his debut but has looked the goods in his two recent trial wins including one on a soft 6. Check betting for confidence levels late but on what he’s shown it’d be a surprise if he doesn’t feature somewhere in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Spirituality ran a very nice race on debut in the Inglis Nursery and was spelled straight after. Closed off strongly to win her Rosehill trial on July 17 on a heavy track and looms as a decent adversary. 3. In Flanders has been disappointing though her best effort came on a heavy track when chasing home Cellsabeel back in January. Her Hawkesbury trial win was very easy and this is one of the easiest tasks she’s had so far. Entitled to show up. 5. Dashing Statement hasn’t shown a whole lot in his recent trials but he’s well bred and from the Snowden yard so it wouldn’t surprise to see him show more on race day.
How to play it: Torun WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Torun wins a trial at Hawkesbury on July 20
|Race 7 – 4:50PM NSW JOCKEYS ASSOCIATION HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. Delightful Dream was heavily backed into odds-on and duly saluted on debut at Narrandera a couple of weeks ago. This is a decent step up and strikes a heavy track but did trial well in soft ground and looked handy enough to suggest there’s more to come.
Dangers: 2. Canyonero rarely runs a bad race but the fact is he’s one win from 21 starts with 12 placings. Charged home late first-up into another minor at Goulburn so fitter and his only win was at this track. Capable but needs things go his way. 7. Cathay raced on the speed and while a little wayward late she ran right up to support at odds to win at her second start at Gosford. That was a soft 7 so heavy not too much of a stretch for her. Must be considered. 4. Belle Of Clonmel is a genuine chance first-up since January. Another with just the one win in 13 starts but also pretty consistent. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Delightful Dream WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Delightful Dream wins at Narrandera on July 19