By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:20PM BLACKTOWN WORKERS CLUB PLATE (1500 METRES)|
2. Highjacker didn’t have any luck first-up at Newcastle, sitting on the speed three wide and he boxed on pretty well considering. Trialled since then so much fitter and this race is very winnable. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 1. Developed led and looked a little one paced on debut but still held on to run third at Wyong. Naturally better for that run and the extra distance probably helps him. Short enough price though. 6. Red Hot Chillypins started $61 in the same race and attacked the line well to run fifth and not that far off Developed. Drawn better this time and has to considered a good chance. 4. Mr Costigan had some support when he led at Canberra a couple of weeks ago and he was only cut down in the shadows. Might lead them again here and give a sight.
How to play it: Highjacker WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Highjacker’s trial at Randwick on October 14
|Race 2 - 1:55PM EASY LANE PLATE (1300 METRES)|
6. Wicked Wench is the interesting runner here, an ex-NZ mare having her first run for Kris Lees. Just the one start in NZ and ran second but her two trials have been promising particularly the latest at Gosford. Watch betting but looks the one to stop.
Dangers: 2. War Cabinet hasn’t raced since August where he loomed but had his chance running third to Darling Point. Won a trial here in good style and will be ready to go. Logical danger. 7. Tri Nations debuted here on a wet track then up to midweek city class and wasn’t disgraced behind Still Single at Kensington. Capable of improving into the placings. 9. Vinaigrette resumed with a fair effort at Kensington in what looked an above average fillies maiden. Might need some luck from the outside alley but wouldn’t surprise to see her find her way into the placings.
How to play it: Wicked Wench WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Wicked Wench runs second in a trial at Gosford on October 8
|Race 3 – 2.35PM PINK FINSS CHARITY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
2. Suave is a half brother to two G1 winners in Kidnapped and Hauraki and a full brother to the well performed Academus on debut and looks very smart romping away with a trial a month ago. If he runs up to it he wins, just like to see him solid in betting.
Dangers: 3. Oxidization has run some handy races and resumed with an even third at Newcastle a few weeks ago where she was a drifter in betting. Extra 100m is a plus and she’ll win one of these races shortly. 7. Brunetta has the blinkers on first time and she is getting close to a win after three runs back from a spell. Latest beaten two lengths at Kembla at 1400m so back slightly in trip but the shades on. Must respect. 4. Vulcan had support and raced handy first-up but dropped out. Sent back to the trials and entitled to another chance here given he was expected to run well fresh.
How to play it: Suave WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Suave wins a trial at Warwick Farm on September 24
|Race 4 – 3.10PM ASCEND SALES HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. All Cylinders won’t find a better race to break back into the winner’s stall back to this level after three runs back in town in solid enough benchmark races. That said he had his chance last time but fitter and on his length fourth to Standout prior he’s hard to go past.
Dangers: 4. Vox Populi led all the way and held off a late challenge to score on debut at Newcastle. Possible leader here and this isn’t a lot harder especially getting weight off All Cylinders. Go well. 2. Watching raced consistently in the early stages of last prep and resumes with just one trial against much better company. Keep an eye on betting for any push. 3. Interram was a beaten favourite when resuming at Wyong after sitting on the pace. Disappointing there but had trialled well prior so perhaps give another chance.
How to play it: All Cylinders WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
All Cylinders runs fourth at Kensington on September 4
|Race 5 – 3.45PM KILLAHY EQUINE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Rari is an interesting horse resuming. Took on some smart ones in his first prep earlier this year and wasn’t disgraced. Ran seventh in his latest trial but was cruising in behind them and while he’s yet to race over 1000m he’s to be respected. Read trainer Greg Hickman's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Phoenix River is another who has mixed it with some smart types and finds himself in a winnable maiden fresh. Nice recent trial and if 1000m isn’t too slick for him he will be right in the finish. You’d be disappointed if he wasn’t hitting the line best. 11. Van Giz has led at both starts and probable does so again here. Much improved effort second-up though that was on a heavy track. Hasn’t had enough racing yet to peg her as a wet tracker so keep in mind. 7. Invincible Kiss led and was reeled in at Wyong two weeks ago but prior to that gave a big sight running second at Gosford at 1100m. Shorter trip could be in her favour and she could be a knockout chance.
How to play it: Rari WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Rari’s trial at Warwick Farm on October 8
|Race 6 – 4.20PM LANDER TOYOTA HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
2. Canasta is a progressive middle distance type who comes off an easy win over 2100m at Wyong. Granted it wasn’t a strong race but he gapped them and is yet to put in a bad one. Back in trip but likely leader again and will be the one to run down.
Dangers: 4. Brigid Of Kildare gets back and runs on and followed a Nowra win with a sound enough third over a mile at Wyong. Longer run home will suit her and she’s a genuine threat. 1. Jarhead was too good on a heavy track two starts back then even effort behind Miss Moana at Wyong in this class. Ran well at only 1800m attempt to date and is one of the chances. 3. Densy is an imported mare first-up since August 2017 so is a big query here. Two recent trials have been on the quiet side but given this is an open race she could show up.
How to play it: Canasta WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Canasta wins at Wyong on October 10
|Race 7 - 4:55PM ROBERT OATLEY HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
1. Maggie Miss is a short priced favourite but looks hard to go past given she should be afforded a picnic in front. Narrowly denied here two starts back then led and only beaten a couple of lengths at Kensington. Less depth here and the one to run down.
Dangers: 5. Buba is the up and comer and she proved too strong at her second start winning easily at Kembla though on a heavy track. On the up so is considered a strong chance. 7. Cadence also comes off a maiden win hers at Goulburn a couple of weeks ago where she sat on the speed and toughed it out. Harder here but racing well so is in the mix. 3. Ivira ran on fairly well at 1100m first-up and is better suited at the longer trip. Expect improvement though may be harder to beat next start.
How to play it: Maggie Miss WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Maggie Miss runs fifth at Randwick on October 2
|Race 8 - 5:30PM HAWKESBURY RACE CLUB MOTEL HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. We Could Be Heroes has a good each-way chance in a race that’s up for grabs. Won well here three back and then close up at Nowra before heading to town an only beaten 2.5 lengths. Looks reasonable speed here and he might have the last look at them.
Dangers: 4. De Valera is a handy stayer resuming from a two month break and is a big watch here. Has placed at both first-up attempts and will be strong late so is one to check the betting around. 1. Test Of War ran well here twice before a shade disappointing at Gosford last time out. Blinkers come off so inclined to give him another chance. 6. On Angels Wings was a bit disappointing when a firmer in betting at Canterbury a month ago but previous form was consistent enough without winning. Chance to show up.
How to play it: We Could Be Heroes E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS
We Could Be Heroes runs fifth at Randwick on October 9