By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Hawkesbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM FRIDAY’S ON THE TERRACE PLATE (1500 METRES)|
2. Fast Melody is just about ready to win. Set a task first-up and ran well then huge drifter at Kembla last week, led after drawing wide and boxed on to hold third. Should get control here and a good chance to break through.
Dangers: 7. Let Me Think has been around the mark in largely stronger maidens but at the same time has had her chance. A lot less depth here, though, and back up to 1500m looks a plus. Short but placed to advantage. 8. Miss Reef could be an improver without surprising. Debuted on a heavy track at Canberra, drifted sharply in betting and didn’t fire. Dry track, blinkers on she’s worth another look. 4. Royal Deel is another coming off a debut failure, his was at this track over 1300m. Bred to appreciate more ground and may show something more.
How to play it: Fast Melody WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fast Melody runs third at Kembla on October 15
|Race 2 – 2.05PM HRC HOTEL HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
5. Sirens was scratched from Kensington on Wednesday for this and he’s trialled in very good fashion for a debut win. Very well bred, dam was a topliner and he’s looked very professional. Should take beating.
Dangers: 1. Shadow Colour has now had nine starts for seven seconds and a third and will be right in the finish again. Blinkers go back on after a narrow defeat at Gosford two weeks ago. Must include. 6. Dreamline had a tough run three wide on the speed at her only start over this course and she only weakened late beaten just over a length. Fitter and with an easier run could easily be in the finish. 8. Kibosh trialled quite well earlier in the year, only had the one recent trial at Kembla and was unplaced. In good hands and drawn well so keep an eye on betting for a pointer.
How to play it: Sirens WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Sirens wins a trial at Randwick on October 12
|Race 3 – 2:40PM THOROUGHBRED INDUSTRY CAREERS HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
2. Faethm drifted in betting when resuming at Newcastle and was a bit weak late. Fitter and probably less depth here so no surprise to see him improve, while he’s a little short in the market he's the one to beat.
Dangers: 7. Class Act wasn’t disgraced on a heavy track here fresh then never in the hunt at all at Wyong. Best to overlook that and she’s some hope on the first-up run. 8. Mister Ripley has led and held on for third at his past two starts in the country and drops to 53kg here in a race where he’ll likely find the front. Not out of it. 1. Rapid Reload has trialled on the synthetic at Warwick Farm and looked okay. Wouldn't surprise to see him run a race on debut.
How to play it: Faethm WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Faethm runs fourth at Newcastle on September 19
|Race 4 – 3:15PM LANDER TOYOTA LADIES DAY PLATE (1300 METRES)|
9. Don’t Recall produced a very big effort first-up at Port Macquarie, checked at the start she found herself right out the back and while beaten five lengths to run into third was eye-catching. Interested to see what she can do with an even break.
Dangers: 8. Diorissima has been solid in two runs back at Goulburn. Hit the front momentarily second-up as favourite and before being reeled in. At peak now so is likely to be around the mark again. 7. Sian was a beaten favourite when resuming at Port Macquarie, he seemed to have hi chance there. Just behind the placings at this level in two runs last time in, fitter here and is worth another look. 6. Dream Eclipse ran on without threatening on debut then improved on it with a handy third here. On the up and could be placed again.
How to play it: Don’t Recall E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Don’t Recall runs third at Port Macquarie on October 9
|Race 5 – 3:50PM BLACKTOWN WORKERS CLUB GROUP HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
5. Angel Helena was just getting warm at the finish of 1200m first-up at Kembla and is very well placed here. Won at 1400m second-up at this track last time in then beaten a nose at Randwick at this trip. Clearly the one to beat.
Dangers: 1. Amica drew wide and settled a long way back first-up at Newcastle before hitting the line pretty well into fifth. Extra furlong a plus and she looms as the danger. 4. Any Wish was close up behind Bethencourt second-up then back in grade and was too good at Bathurst with 61kg. At peak and no surprise to see her measure up. 7. Ivira ran well fresh then disappointed but was back in form third-up at Gosford with a closing third. Doesn’t win out of turn but capable of being in the finish somewhere.
How to play it: Angel Helena WIN ($2.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Angel Helena runs third at Kembla Grange on October 10
|Race 6 – 4:25PM CELEBRATE XMAS AT HRC HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
5. Budhwar is bursting to win a race with five placings and a fourth in six runs this prep. Bumped into a promising one two starts back then led and was reeled in late here at 1400m. Likely leader and will give another good sight.
Dangers: 3. Wairere Falls was scratched from Kensington to run here and he’s an interesting runner having raced in Victoria if late. Freshened up since a placing at Geelong a month ago and given a quiet trial. Watch betting. 2. Atherton has hit his straps this time in with two wins and a close third and was always in control at Newcastle over 1300m last start. Hard to leave out given his recent form. 1. Carluca was close up in a string of midweekers at Warwick Farm before an honest placing in the Cootamundra Cup. Blinkers back on and he could find himself in the placings.
How to play it: Budhwar WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Budhwar runs second at Hawkesbury on October 11
|Race 7 – 5:05PM BLAKES MARINE HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
3. Electrified has been very good in two runs back from a spell and was just touched out by a promising import at Kembla last time. Can roll forward and find a spot and this looks a nice race for him.
Dangers: 1. Brown Thomas has come back in solid form and was just a bit too strong late when winning over this course. Up a notch in class so carries the same weight. Should run well again. 7. Donnachiara raced on the speed in the same race and just weakened late into a close fourth behind Brown Thomas. At peak now and she’s capable of giving some cheek. 2. Crown Affair is one of those horses who bobs up now and then, fitter for one run back at Warwick Farm where he was always well back. May need one more but he’s in the right class here and could surprise.
How to play it: Electrified WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Electrified runs second at Kembla Grange on October 10
|Race 8 – 5:40PM WEDDINGS AT HRC HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Malkovich is a speed type suited to 1000m here. Romped in at Wyong before leading and just going down at 1100m at Warwick Farm a couple of weeks back. Drawn to lead here and he will give them something to catch.
Dangers: 2. No Impediment is a late starter but showed plenty of talent winning on debut at Goulburn off a wide gate. Started favourite there and while this looks harder he has to be respected on the ease of that win. 4. Thudson won on debut at Ballarat in March then struck a heavy track, when supported at odds, behind North Pacific at Rosehill in July. Gelded and pay to keep him very safe. 3. Shadow Chaser hasn’t raced since June when scoring on a heavy track and his two trials back have been okay without catching the eye. Also returns as a gelding and is another to keep an eye on.
How to play it: Malkovich WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Malkovich runs second at Warwick Farm on October 7