By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:25PM PINK FINSS CHARITY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Roman Candle has promised to win a race in his three starts and he was back in trip and off a freshen when running second at Scone last time. Sets up well for him here from a nice gate and if he’s going to win a race soon this is a good chance.
Dangers: 9. Foxy Rocket was out of his depth in a maiden won by Yao Dash at Canterbury but prior to that he’d recorded three handy placings at the provincials. Each-way claims again. 2. Pacific Legend wasn’t beaten far first-up at Gosford and has been back to the trials since then. Inclined to give him another chance from the inside gate with James McDonald taking over. 6. Rubisinga is the likely leader and could get it easily early. Just fair on debut at Bathurst but blinkers on and racing on his home track.
How to play it: Roman Candle E/W ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Roman Candle runs second at Scone on August 27
|Race 2 - 1:00PM ANGELS FLORIST & JR CORPORATE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
9. Sangria comes off a complete forgive run at Newcastle where she was $2.50 and completely blew the start and basically just followed them around. Trialled sharply at Canterbury since then and assuming she steps cleanly she can take beating.
Dangers: 8. History is a well bred filly from the Godolphin yard out of Lonhro’s sister Hosannah, herself a smart filly on her day, and looked the goods winning her latest trial at Warwick Farm. Keep her in mind. 6. Dirty Work comes off a placing at Group 3 level in a small field in Melbourne where he was six lengths astern of Bivouac. Obviously easier here but he’s a bit under the odds. 7. Birdy was never in the hunt on debut but has trialled nicely twice this time in at Warwick Farm. Trained here, drawn well and if there’s an upset it wouldn’t shock if it’s her.
How to play it: Sangria WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Sangria wins a trial at Canterbury on September 2
|Race 3 – 1.35PM GRIFFIN AIR CONDITIONING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
5. Cloud Factory might hold the key to this race. A well bred rig with two handy trials under his belt and James McDonald booked to ride. Merit in both of the trials and if he stays solid in the market he could be the one.
Dangers: 2. Iresign was no match for the winner on debut in April on a soft 7 then ran them off their feet in his only trial this preparation at Rosehill. Not sure what to make of the seven length margin there but commands some respect. 7. Duenna tackled a strong maiden on debut won by Splintex and since the break she’s won both her trials quite nicely though not by big margins. Drawn well and no surprise to see her be competitive. 9. Sally’s Day promised a bit in her three starts to date and has a placing here in April to show for it so far. Another that has trialled up well and if she can put it together then she’s a contender here.
How to play it: Cloud Factory WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Cloud Factory runs third in a trial at Randwick on August 27
|Race 4 – 2.10PM ONTRACK ENGINEERING HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
Have to go with 1. Broken Arrows who was narrowly beaten first-up in a similar race three weeks ago. He’s stringing together plenty of placings so needs to put one away but smaller field suits, fitter and entitled to go close again.
Dangers: 3. Sophiella might be a little under rated by the market, she’s produced two solid efforts this time in and tried hard when runner-up here last time out. Doesn’t need to improve any to be in the finish. 5. Appian Way was scratched from Canterbury to run here and she resumed from a long break with a Gosford win where she ran off the track in the straight costing her a bit of ground. Fitter and well worth respecting. 4. Vivi Valentina has her first run for Bjorn Baker and she split Enticing Star and Trekking in her second trial at Canterbury. Watch for any support and follow accordingly.
How to play it: Broken Arrows WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Broken Arrows runs second at Hawkesbury on August 22
|Race 5 – 2.45PM THE BACHMAKER ORTHODONTIC CLINIC PLATE (1800 METRES)|
10. Tisane was a bit stiff not to break through at Newcastle at her third start, she was held up for a run until inside the 100m and went down half a length. Ready to win a race, drawn to get every chance to go one better here.
Dangers: 8. War Baron is more than talented enough to win this race but he’s been very costly, now a 10 start maiden with just one placing to his name. He’s much better than that and now he’s out to 1800m there’ll be no excuses. 7. Wild Sheila was third in the same race as Tisane though did have every chance. That said all three runs back have been honest and she’s in the mix again. 3. Zombie is next best. Sound enough debut then drifter in betting and battled away at Kembla second-up. Could be an improver.
How to play it: Tisane WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Tsiane runs second at Newcastle on August 24
|Race 6 – 3.20PM RICHMOND CLUB HANDICAP (2100 METRES)|
2. Poulton Le Sands is racing in career best form and should handle the step up in distance after two strong wins at a mile. Smashed them at Scone then backed it up with a dominant effort at Tamworth. Greg Ryan staying on board is a good sign.
Dangers: 10. Laguna Mountains is just about ready to fire up after two runs back from a spell and he did show improvement second-up at Warwick Farm hitting the line into fourth at big odds. Less depth here and a genuine chance. 6. Stellar Impact led all the way first-up to beat Tisane at Newcastle, though as referenced she was a bit fortunate there. Should cross to lead here and it’ll be interesting to see if she handles the class rise. 3. Hemstead ran a much improved race to finish second here over 1800m two weeks ago, untried this trip but has a show.
How to play it: Poulton Le Sands WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Poulton Le Sands wins at Tamworth on August 30
|Race 7 - 3:55PM BEDROCK QUARRY PRODUCTS & BULK HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Bullet Fly had excuses when beaten favourite first-up then much improved effort into third at Newcastle. Up in trip, blinkers on and drawn well so there’s plenty to like about him.
Dangers: 1. Golden Hits is going well without winning and led until the shadows when runner-up at Kembla a month ago. Claim helps his cause and he’ll be up on the speed and hard to run down. 8. Brigid Of Kildare resumed with an eye-catching fourth at Kembla then close up again at that track before a shock failure at Nowra. She’s better than that and is looking for a trip so she can certainly bounce back. 6. Call Me Mo comes through the same race as Bullet Fly where he finished second. Lightly raced and couldn't leave him out.
How to play it: Bullet Fly E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bullet Fly runs third at Newcastle on August 24
|Race 8 - 4:35PM FOWLER CIVIL CONTRACTING HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
7. Mummentum is the up and comer with two wins from three starts and strikes a race that looks winnable after her two country wins. Backed into odds-on when scoring a strong Scone win last time and while drawn out looks the one to beat.
Dangers: 10. Iona Nicconi looks an upset chance at odds here. She won well first-up at Narromine then had no luck racing wide without cover but still managed fourth in a similar race to this two weeks ago. Could surprise. 2. Maggie Miss led all the way and fended off Mo’s Crown, who has since won, to break through here first-up. City placed at 1300m second-up last time in so expect she’ll go forward again and give a decent sight. 8. Keiai Tsubaki led all the way over this course two weeks ago to break her maiden and while up in class could take catching again.
How to play it: Mummentum WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mummentum wins at Scone on August 27
|Race 9 - 5:10PM REDBANK NORTH RICHMOND HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Bold And Wild has been kept fresh since he raced away to a big maiden win at Wyong early last month. Given a quiet trial against open class horses since then and while up in grade he was so impressive last time he looks the type who will make the step up look easy.
Dangers: 3. Sedgemoor comes back a notch or two on his last couple of unplaced efforts in town and looks better suited here. In the market when he led and knocked up behind Subedar and Wimlah last time so entitled to another chance. 7. Pride Of Darci was an odds-on favorite when he just battled into fourth behind The Bald Eagle who has won in town since. Blinkers go on so could easily improve here. 4. Silent General is back in class from a few runs in town, not much luck at big odds two starts back then never in it in a leader dominated race last time. Could surprise.
How to play it: Bold And Wild WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bold And Wild wins easily at Wyong on August 2