By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 2:20PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS PLATE (1000 METRES)|
12. Prasiolite is a well bred filly on debut and she’s hard to ignore after going stride for stride with Four Moves Ahead in her latest trial a couple of weeks ago. Showed speed there and certainly wasn’t tested out. If she runs up to that she’ll go close.
Dangers: 11. Naples was stakes placed at her first start in the spring then finished down the track at Group 3 level. Obviously easier here and she wasn’t asked for anything serious running second in a Kembla trial leading in. Drawn nicely and commands respect. 4. Russian Standard has looked slick winning two trials over the 740m or thereabouts. Expect he will show pace from wider out and if he finds the lead could take running down. 2. Gulf Of Aden showed improvement into his second trial behind Shaquero and Remarque. One to keep an eye on.
How to play it: Prasiolite WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Prasiolite runs second in a trial at Rosehill on February 11
|Race 2 – 2.55PM ROBRICK LODGE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Tycoon Hallie did more than enough on debut finishing right on their heels in sixth at Warwick Farm two weeks ago to suggest she has some upside. Drifter in betting there too. Straight to the mile and if she’s solid in betting expect her to run a big race in a winnable affair.
Dangers: 2. Lost Impact didn’t give up the fight when runner-up at Hawkesbury on debut at 1500m. Sure to be better for that and any improvement would see her somewhere in the finish here. 4. Zudin comes through the same race where he started $4.60 and just battled into fifth after sitting on the speed. Gate one here and is worth another look. 1. Oceanic Flash debuted in the same race as Lost Impact and made some ground into fourth place though safely held. Could be an improver second-up.
How to play it: Tycoon Hallie WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Tycoon Hallie runs sixth at Warwick Farm on February 10
|Race 3 – 3:30PM STREET BOSS @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Salateen couldn’t have been more impressive in her first-up win at this track and she can only be better for it. Drops 3kg for the class rise and handles a soft track. On the up and only has to match her fresh effort to be the one to beat.
Dangers: 8. Geist won well at Hawkesbury and Wyong before a month’s break and she ducked back to the inside when running into third at Kensington three weeks ago. Yet to prove herself at 1200m but good chance to do that here. 7. Super Effort really disappointed at Warwick Farm last start when out to 1400m. Had excuses before that and runner-up to a smart one second-up. Sure to get a nice run from gate two and if he hasn’t gone off the boil he can feature. 2. Rhythmic Pulse might be the leader here and if he gets control could make it interesting. Led when runner-up at Newcastle three back and that kind of performance would see him competitive.
How to play it: Salateen WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Salateen wins at Gosford on February 4
|Race 4 – 4:05PM TAB HANDICAP (2600 METRES)|
4. Space Is Deep will relish getting back onto a soft track and that gives her a good chance to break through. Good first-up, fair second-up then not disgraced at Warwick Farm. Meets the winner 3kg better and distance should be no worries. Go well.
Dangers: 1. La Grisa always looked in control in winning that race at Warwick Farm and she won it by a margin. Extra 3kg and probably doesn’t want it worse than mid-range soft despite having a heavy track second to her name this prep. Logical danger. 2. Castel Sant’angelo showed improvement second-up from a break placing third behind La Grisa. Can mix his form but races on the pace and when he’s at his best he can give plenty of cheek. 8. Savvy Valentino doesn’t win out of turn but has an excellent record at this track. Ran on without threatening in the La Grisa race but placed twice here prior including over this trip. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Space Is Deep E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Space Is Deep runs fourth at Warwick Farm on February 10
|Race 5 – 4:40PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
7. Kalashnikov faces a D-Day here having promised so much in trials but not showing it on the track as yet. Drew wide and was always well back in the Pierro Plate first-up but expect him to be closer from a good gate. Like to see some support for him but appears to have every chance.
Dangers: 2. Bonython is locally trained and got the job done pretty well in his latest trial over 1000m at this track. Should be right on the speed from an inside alley and no surprise to see him take running down. 6. Raoul was a little disappointing running on fairly into third at Kembla a month ago on the back of a promising debut at this track. Trialled since last start and has to be included in the discussion. 3. Double Ex trialled a couple of times back in September then returned to win a trial at Wyong a few weeks ago. Likely to be on pace and market should be watched.
How to play it: Kalashnikov E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Kalashnikov wins a trial at Randwick on February 5
|Race 6 – 5:15PM VINERY STUD PLATE (1100 METRES)|
1. Attribution was competitive in all four starts in her first preparation without winning including a third here behind Black Bolt in November. She trialled very nicely at Kembla recently and if she has improved a little this time in she has a good chance to get on the board.
Dangers: 8. Our Lancette is the winner of two trials at Randwick leading into her debut. It’s a little belated given her first trial was back in April but can’t knock what she’s done recently. Probably has to go forward from the outside, if she runs up to her trials she’s a major player. 5. Drummin led them up when resuming at Hawkesbury and was only cut down in the shadows. Fitter for that and is well worth considering. 4. Bright Eyed Girl sat back midfield with cover and found the line strongly late over 900m on debut at Newcastle. Blinkers come off here, drawn okay and is open to improvement on that promising effort.
How to play it: Attribution WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Attribution wins a trial at Kembla on February 10
|Race 7 – 5:50PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
Hard to go past 8. Flexible who is coming through the grades quickly and looks an above average filly. Dominant in heavy ground at Warwick Farm before similarly strong late picking them up on a soft Kensington track, downing a subsequent winner. Should have no trouble with a mile and is the one to beat.
Dangers: 7. Champagne Vega has been a revelation since joining the Joseph Ible stable and she put a gap in them with 61kg at Canberra to make it two from two. Drops 3kg and picks up Hugh Bowman, handles all conditions and won up to 2250m. Keep in mind. 4. Knowitall Jack likes to lead and did that when a close third at Canterbury at his third run back from a break. Sure to be at his peak now and blinkers go on. Will roll forward and can give them something to chase. 1. Invasion Day tried to lead all the way and was just cut down at Warwick Farm a month ago. Mile around this track isn't beyond him and can show up.
How to play it: Flexible WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Flexible wins at Kensington on February 3