By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM ECO BUNKER@TURFCAREAUS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Flying Legend hasn’t raced for over a month but he’s found a nice race to finally break through. Forgive his last run in quite a strong maiden at Randwick where he drew wide and worked and he arrives with blinkers first time.
Dangers: 2. Achondrite seemed to have her chance at Hawkesbury last start but she was jumping 300m in trip. Expect she sits second in the run here and given that run under the belt now over a similar distance she can still lift. Logical danger. 5. Aurman Zou contested the same race as Achondrite and was a close third there, his edge is in the track condition. Both placings have come on soft ground and that keeps him in the mix. 6. Amami is the likely leader and has the run over a mile on a wet track to her credit where she led and stayed on okay for second at Nowra. Could give a sight.
How to play it: Flying Legend WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Flying Legend’s trial at Randwick on March 14
|Race 2 - 1:25PM SYNGENTA PROVAUNT PLATE (1200 METRES)|
5. Jetski hit the line strongly on debut then on a heavy at Hawkesbury tried hard behind a couple of horses who progressed to Group company following that race. Might drift back a little but sure to be running on strongly. With the stablemate scratched he's the one to beat.
Dangers: 13. Iskander did a bit of work to find the lead and didn’t give it up in the same race as Badia running a close fourth. That was her first start so there’s upside and with luck from a wide gate can feature. 7. Olympic made some ground without threatening first-up at Warwick Farm and the improved surface here is likely to be a plus. Entitled to another chance. 15. Maisaa trialled in a very strong heat before an even debut at Wyong on a heavy track where she drifted well back and ran on into third. Fitter and another who will like a drier track.
How to play it: Jetski WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Jetski runs third at Hawkesbury on March 20
|Race 3 – 2.00PM BAYER EXTERIS STRESSGUARD HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Mollyfied is coming off a two month break and no official trial but she looks to get control in front. Easy winner fresh on a soft track at Canterbury then repeated the dose on a good track with 61.5kg. Market will tell us a bit more but the one to run down.
Dangers: 3. Ellie’s Encore ran a handy fourth in a Provincial Championships qualifier then went to Wyong on a heavy track and wasn’t a factor. Down in class into this and she’s generally pretty honest. Include. 4. Strome threatened to win a race over the early summer but didn’t snare one. She’s a handy mare fresh and comes off a trial win. The tempo of the race will be key to her hopes but she will be running on. 2. Alart rarely runs a bad race and has been competitive in a bit stronger company in the past couple of months. Beaten half a length by Renewal two starts back and on that would go close.
How to play it: Mollyfied WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Mollyfied leads all the way at Canterbury on February 15
|Race 4 – 2.35PM ICL TRI SMART HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
Best bet time. 6. Kylease looks a very promising filly and she will give them plenty to catch. Far too strong in her last two, including once at this track, and fitted with a strong trial win a bit over a week ago. Has the speed to offset the wide gate.
Dangers: 1. Reginae hasn’t seen a wet track but her form is pretty sound for a race like this. Impressed coming through the grades quickly last time in, fitter for two trials and commands some respect. 7. Charretera might find this a touch short but he looked good in his latest trial behind Trapeze Artist and will be charging at them late. Keep an eye on him for next time but worth including in the chances. 9. Unguarded hasn't been as effective on wet tracks so her first-up effort at Hawkesbury gets a pass mark. Expect her to lift a bit on that and the extra 100m helps too.
How to play it: Kylease WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Kylease wins a Warwick Farm trial on April 1
|Race 5 – 3.10PM TURFCULTURE IMPALA FUNGICIDE HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
5. Makdanife is probably the safe play as we know he’ll relish the sting out of the ground, he’s hard fit and races on the pace. Beat several of his rivals at Hawkesbury two back then up to 2400m last time and was game. Sure to give a good account again.
Dangers: 7. Seababe was racing well prior to a rare flop when favourite at Newcastle a month ago. Attacked the line well in a recent trial suggesting she is back on trial and she’s an each-way chance. 10. Mangione is back in class after finishing midfield in the Tulloch Stakes behind the eventual ATC Derby winner. That said he was safely held placing at Newcastle over a mile prior to that. Might be under the odds but is one of the chances. 1. Foreign Territory sat outside Makdanife and folded up when they met at Hawkesbury but was a winner at Randwick prior to that at 1800m. Will be on the speed somewhere and is entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Makdanife E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Makdanife runs third at Warwick Farm on March 27
|Race 6 - 3:45PM TURFCARE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. White Boots doesn’t know how to run a bad race and boasts a great strike rate and an unbeaten record at a mile. Fought out a tough win at Wyong prior to a game second to Supernova at Rosehill on a heavy track. He’ll be in this for a long way and should go close.
Dangers: 6. Harmattan was placed at a mile three starts back and her two subsequent starts have been at Group 3 mares level where she’s been thereabouts without looking the winner. Find this a bit easier and has every chance. 1. Hogmanay is fitter for two runs from a long absence and it’s worth overlooking his second-up failure on a heavy at Rosehill. Can bounce off that and a soft track would be more to his liking. 3. Insensata is right back in class here after taking on Group 2 and 3 races of late. Ran well in the Newcastle Newmarket, gets back and no surprise to see her swooping late.
How to play it: White Boots WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
White Boots runs second at Rosehill on March 16
|Race 7 - 4:20PM DR JOE VARGAS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Military Zone is clearly on top and the likely winner but if we’re dealing with worse than a soft 6 he could be vulnerable. Not seen since his easy win in the Gosford Guineas and he caught the eye running Vega Magic to half a length in a trial. Smart and destined for better races.
Dangers: 3. Star Of Monsoon only had the one run last prep and bumped into a smart one running third at Rosehill. He has trialled up nicely and since being gelded has learnt how to win. Should be in the finish somewhere. 1. Piracy was narrowly beaten by Renewal first-up at Rosehill then just battled a bit at Kembla Grange. Trialled since then and on his previous run is a major player. 6. Clear The Beach has got back and finished off well to be midfield in a couple of Provincial Championships Qualifiers and that suggests he’s going well. Has the inside alley and he is good enough on his day to give some cheek.
How to play it: Military Zone WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Military Zone runs second to Vega Magic in a Randwick trial on March 29
|Race 8 - 4:55PM FLORATINE FOLIARS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
11. Queen Ablaze might have struck gold with the inside alley in a race with a bit of speed on paper. She can race just off them and hope for some luck around the turn, which usually happens on rain affected tracks. Strong late winning at Muswellbrook last time and has a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Bella Vella had excuses when beaten at Canberra first-up, she worked overtime from a wide gate and dropped out. Consistent form last time in and expect better from her here. 9. Difficult To Get is another who is always around the mark without winning regularly. Took an inside run when fourth at Muswellbrook two weeks ago and battled on. Down in weight and has an each-way hope. 7. The Pharoah was going along okay before an ordinary effort on a heavy track at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. Firmer ground will help him and he's capable of giving a sight.
How to play it: Queen Ablaze E/W ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Queen Ablaze wins at Muswellbrook on March 24