By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:15PM PRO ALI HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Great Affair seemed to have his chance on debut when runner-up at Hawkesbury as favourite but will be better for it and has struck a race that’s very winnable. Should lead or be in the first couple and be hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Hostwin Supreme has shown glimpses of ability and was given a good hitout in winning his latest trial at Rosehill after blowing the start in his previous trial. If he’s in the right mood he could take catching. 8. Madam Oaks hasn’t done a lot in her two race starts but her couple of trials in March suggest she might have turned the corner. Watch for significant support. 5. Pretorius was a drifter in betting and disappointed first-up at Newcastle. Not a lot of depth in this race so he could be an improver.
How to play it: Great Affair WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Great Affair runs second at Hawkesbury on March 20
|Race 2 - 1:50PM KINCROME PLATE (1600 METRES)|
6. Bacinblac gets back and runs on and she should appreciate getting out to the mile after a closing third at Newcastle over 1400m, producing the fastest last 600m of the race in 35.41 (Punter's Intelligence). Looks suited in a race of few serious chances and is good value too.
Dangers: 3. Rexx looked to be working up to a win then put in a shocker running last at Hawkesbury a couple of weeks ago as favourite. Not sure what to make of that but he can improve, though is way under the odds. 8. So Very Vein led them up in the same race as Bacinblac and knocked up in the run home but could get some favours here on the pace. Does need to lift of course but not out of it. 7. Madame Margaux is an interesting debutant at a mile after just the one trial at 1030m. In top stable so not prepared to leave her out until we see what she’s capable of.
How to play it: Bacinblac WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Bacinblac runs into third at Newcastle on March 21
|Race 3 – 2.25PM KLINGSPOR HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Iresign would only have to run up to what he’s shown in his two trials to take plenty f beating here on debut. In control all the way in the latest and should enjoy the favours from a perfect draw. Entitled to go close. Read trainer Lee Curtis' comments here.
Dangers: 5. Lord Zoulander ran a cheeky race on debut in a solid city maiden then well beaten in his other start in another race with depth. No public trials this time in so keep him very safe. 2. He’s A Hotshot seemed to have his chance at his only start out at Bathurst where he was on the pace and battled on without threatening the winner. Fitter and could be an improver. 3. Allied Forces had a month between trials and showed improvement when finishing second at Randwick, niggled a long a bit late. Rather include him in the chances than leave him out at this point.
How to play it: Iresign WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Iresign wins a Rosehill trial on March 26
|Race 4 – 3.05PM STRAMIT HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Nangami is a nicely bred filly whose two recent trials have held plenty of merit and based on them she can be expected to run well. Not beaten far in both and looked particularly strong in the second. Good chance.
Dangers: 5. Carnina has some mixed race form in both similar and better company but looking at her latest trial it’s hard to imagine her not being in the finish. Swept home under a good hold to score and it’s just the barrier that’s splitting the first two on their trials. 1. Foliage was well beaten in her latest trial but not tested. Showed a bit in her Hawkesbury trial in February and in a race of few winning chances she’s one of them. 10. Angiolini comes off a placing at Queanbeyan in her best effort this time in. Could get into a placing but that's about it.
How to play it: Nangami WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nangami’s latest trial at Randwick on March 29
|Race 5 – 3.45PM LIBERTY ONE STEEL PLATE (2100 METRES)|
10. Lady Grande appeals as a good each-way chance with the blinkers going on. In the market when finishing midfield at Scone third-up and wasn’t disgraced and the extra distance is in her favour. She should run a big race here.
Dangers: 2. Gayson toughed it out over this trip to break through at Goulburn and this isn’t such a big step up in class. He’ll be up there somewhere all the way and is one of the major players. 3. Diamond Star Halo has been a bit in and out but she’s a genuine staying mare who will appreciate a slightly improved surface to what she met at Kembla Grange last time. Another on pacer who can give a sight. 6. Western Folk appears on the way up this time in and hit the line well over a mile at Newcastle third-up. Extra distance may suit and if it does then she's in the contest.
How to play it: Lady Grande E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lady Grande runs fifth with Alam Mo Na second at Scone on March 18
|Race 6 - 4:20PM COREGAS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Zoffany’s Lad won’t know himself back in class from contesting a couple of Provincial Championships Qualifiers, and he wasn’t disgraced in either beaten a few lengths. Excels at the mile, sure to be hard fit and looks very hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Onthetake has hit his straps this time in and justified being an odds-on favourite to score over a mile at Hawkesbury. Any improvement in the track would be a plus and he’s drawn the inside. Logical threat. 5. Collins Creek is also a last start winner and he was rewarded for some consistency of late with an all the way Scone success over the mile. No reason he can’t be in the finish again. 1. Cool And Neat can’t be left out after an easy second-up win at Scone as he steps out to the mile again. In the first two in 10 of his 20 starts and can enhance that record without surprising.
How to play it: Zoffany’s Lad WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Zoffany’s Lad runs sixth in the Provincial Championships qualifier at Kembla on March 23
|Race 7 - 4:55PM BJ HOWES METALAND HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Vincero can be a bit hard to catch but forgiving his last start failure on a very heavy track at Hawkesbury. Prior to that hit the line well at Newcastle and from barrier one he’ll just need that bit of luck to get clear and run on. Good each-way hope.
Dangers: 7. Ariege comes through the same race where she was on the speed and had every chance in running third. Would appreciate any improvement in the track condition and is one of the main hopes. 4. Bryan’s Babe hasn’t raced since November but has a consistent record and does perform okay fresh. Might find this a touch sharp but she’s not to be left out. 8. Iamacrumpet wasn’t able to lead at Muswellbrook first-up but stayed on well on the pace, getting squeezed out slightly late. Fitter and if she finds the front she will be hard to run down.
How to play it: Vincero E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Vincero’s second at Newcastle on March 8
|Race 8 - 5:30PM INSURANCE HOUSE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Total Power looks a promising type and the form through his last start win at Port Macquarie is strong with the runner-up stringing three straight wins since. Liked his two trials when not overly tested and has the inside gate. First run as a gelding. The one to beat.
Dangers: 3. Legion Of Boom is pretty handy as well and he comes off a win back in November and a nice soft trial at Scone. Yet to do anything wrong and looms as a big threat. 6. D’Oro Rain did a bit of early work but still disappointed first-up at Newcastle. Better than that and some improvement can be expected from her here. Include in the chances. 9. Bellastar is on the way up with two wins from her last three starts and did it quite well at Coffs Harbour last time. Harder here of course but wouldn’t shock at all to see her measure up.
How to play it: Total Power WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Total Power runs fourth in a Wyong trial on March 12