By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s ATC meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:40PM BROADWATER INSURANCE BROKERS PLATE (1900 METRES)|
8. Pincer was scratched from a winnable race at Hawkesbury to run here and looks to get control in front. Game effort at Warwick Farm at a mile last time and extra trip doesn’t appear an issue. Take running down.
Dangers: 3. Yonkers is a big market watch. Import who resumed as a beaten favourite at Benalla over a mile where he hit the front but was cut down in the last 100m or so. Fitter and sure to be running on. 5. Kirwan’s Lane had plenty of support behind Aspect Ratio at Warwick Farm on the long weekend and battled on okay to go down a length. Trialled since and may want the extra ground. Not ruling out. 4. Alam Mo Na found the line quite nicely second-up at Wyong over a mile and has already placed at 2100m in the past. Improver who has claims.
How to play it: Pincer WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Pincer runs third at Warwick Farm on October 7
|Race 2 - 2:15PM ITI (NSW) PLATE (1600 METRES)|
5. Zakat chased the winner the whole way first-up at Warwick Farm and wasn’t stopping on the line. Fitter for that, drawn to lead or be behind the lead, and has run well against some smart ones to date. Should be hard to beat in a small field.
Dangers: 7. Rockarosa comes through the same race as Zakat and held her ground once she ran into third a bit over a length behind him. How the race is run will dictate her chances but she has to be respected. 1. Bigboyroy might well win but he’s had every chance in his two runs back to get that win on the board. Hit the front at Kensington last time and was no match late. Outside gate in a small field will make tactics interesting. Has his chance again. 3. Lucky Imperator goes in as next best, beaten favourite at Newcastle two weeks ago and outclassed the start before. Kicked off the prep showing some promise but is a minor player.
How to play it: Zakat WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Zakat runs second at Warwick Farm on October 16
|Race 3 – 2.50PM NATIONAL FRAME & TRUSS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Live The Moment is due to win one of these races, should have won two starts back then favourite and close up at Warwick Farm last week. Finds a race with less depth than his last couple and surely this is his chance.
Dangers: 3. Bullet Fly may not have been suited to leading last start and he was disappointing prior to that too. Go back three runs and he won well at Hawkesbury over this trip and he’s more than capable of winning. 4. Call Me Mo did a good job to come from last and round them up over this course four weeks ago and commands some respect. Drawn the inside and no reason he can’t measure up. 1. Mangione ran on well behind a runaway winner when resuming at an unsuitable trip. Fitter and extra distance is a plus though suspect he probably wants this and 2000m to show his best.
How to play it: Live The Moment WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Live The Moment runs fourth at Warwick Farm on October 23
|Race 4 – 3.25PM REDEYE CONSTRUCTIONS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Harto was a bit stiff not to win on debut at Warwick Farm when solid in the market. Better for that and while he might want a touch further soon with even luck he will be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 2. Montserrat had the run of the race in beating Harto at the Farm and things could play out similarly in the small field. Interestingly James McDonald rode him last time but rides Harto here. 3. Vintage Flyer is hard to fault with three wins from as many starts out of town and all from on the pace. Trial winner since his first-up run and expect he could give a bit of a sight. 1. Longbottom resumed as favourite and got the job done over this course four weeks ago. Kept on the fresh side and the claim helps offset a trickier gate that she faced last start.
How to play it: Harto WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Harto runs second to Montserrat at Warwick Farm on October 16
|Race 5 – 4.05PM BORAL TIMBER HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
7. Is That So looks a good each-way chance coming off a third at Canberra where he led and the track was playing to the outside fence. Still ran third and he was solid winning a maiden at Wyong over a mile prior. Drawn nicely and down 4.5kg. Can run well.
Dangers: 4. Zourhea comes back from a G3 at Randwick last start so overlook that and her form prior was consistent including a close second at Canterbury. Distance no issue for her and she’s one of the main players. 11. Costas had his chance second-up at Warwick Farm but his two runs back have been solid and suggest he’ll probably win one of these races this preparation. Will need the breaks as well from the tricky gate but couldn’t leave him out. 9. Bring The Magic is a little out of sorts with three failures this time in but she's better than that and from barrier one here has her chance to show something.
How to play it: Is That So E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Is That So runs third at Canberra on October 25
|Race 6 – 4.40PM SPANTEC SYSTEMS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
Happy to stay with 6. Invinciano who had excuses when she resumed at Warwick Farm with an incident in the gates not helping. She was only fairly away too and only beaten three lengths isn’t bad under the circumstances. Unbeaten third trip and she can go close.
Dangers: 2. Blazing Miss is a professional on pace filly and she won that race at Warwick Farm sitting on the speed and darting away. Up 2.5kg but will give you a good run for your money. 4. Sophiella is a consistent on pace mare racing in good form. Didn’t give it up at Kensington a few weeks ago at her last attempt and she’ll be in the mix from the inside gate. 1. Vitesse had the run of the race and proved a bit too good second-up though comes back in distance and up in weight. Likely to concede a start but if they overdo it she can finish strongly.
How to play it: Invinciano E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Invinciano runs fifth to Blazing Miss at Warwick Farm on October 16
|Race 7 - 5:15PM TASMAN KB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Tessera comes off a total forgive run at Randwick second-up for the new stable and he didn’t do a bad job beaten less than four lengths. He drew out and tracked four and five wide but still tried hard at the finish. Granted he was $81 there but drawn ideally and worth a look each-way.
Dangers: 5. Broken Arrows was very well ridden to score at Kensington three weeks ago coming with a well timed run. He’s going to need the race run to suit from a tricky gate but look for him storming home. 6. Anna’s Joy led and knocked up when resuming at Eagle Farm but there’s a chance she could get a bit of control here if she wants it. Good record this track and distance and could give a sight. 2. Trust Me boxed on fairly for third behind Broken Arrows first-up. Fitter though has ground to make up to turn the tables.
How to play it: Tessera E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Tessera’s luckless seventh at Randwick on October 12
|Race 8 - 5:50PM WALKER BROS TIMBER & BUILDING SUPPLIES HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Oneness has been freshened up since his last run at Rosehill about seven weeks ago and he does have a second to Rock against his name too. Easy trial and if they overdo it he’ll be running over the top.
Dangers: 3. Attila ran on from well back for a nice third at Tamworth when resuming. Hasn’t won second-up but has always run well and don’t expect that to change. 9. Sedition led and rolled off the fence which allowed Romani Girl to get up on his inside and score at Canterbury five weeks ago. He’ll go forward and is close to a win but he will need to get the breaks. 2. Viceroy hasn't won for a while but managed a placing behind Murillo at Warwick Farm last time out. Capable of finishing around the money again.
How to play it: Oneness WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Oneness trials at Rosehill on October 18