By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Gosford meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:15PM PLUIM GROUP HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Chewie Two, as the name suggests, is a brother to Chewbacca and he showed enough in his only trial at Rosehill, when third on a heavy track, to say he can run well on debut. Drawn nicely and any support would be encouraging.
Dangers: 6. Midsummer Rain was a handy trial winner at Warwick Farm two weeks ago on a soft track, showing improvement on his first hitout. In good hands and well worth respecting. 3. Kateru is now a gelding and was given a very quiet trial in the same heat as Chewie Two. Has settled back and run on at both starts so expect something similar from the wide gate here. 10. Shuwaamekh was a drifter on debut and failed back in October. Given a test out to win a trial at Randwick a few weeks back so probably worth another look. Well bred and if she runs up to her pedigree she should be competitive.
How to play it: Chewie Two E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Chewie Two runs third in a Rosehill trial on March 16
|Race 2 – 1.50PM TANTI FINANCIAL SERVICES PLATE (1600 METRES)|
5. Stiller tried hard at his first run back over 1400m at Goulburn, racing handy and staying on for second. Fitter for that, yet to see a wet track but it's not too bad and with the early favourite out he has a big chance.
Dangers:8. Oakfield Tickets wasn’t disgraced first-up after leading then had specking at big odds and ran right up to it with a close second at Newcastle. Consistent mare who can give a good account. 10. Eroteme did a few things wrong but dropped right out on debut at Goulburn recently and the stewards report suggested the trainer will be looking for a wet track. Gets that here so wary of an improvement. 7. Any Wish started a huge price at Kembla last time in what has proven to be a good form race so far, staying on for third. No harder here so could be placed again.
How to play it: Stiller WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Stiller runs second at Goulburn on March 12
|Race 3 – 2:25PM CENTRAL COAST GRANITE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
7. Foxy Rocket is a consistent galloper who hit the line well when resuming on his home track almost a month ago, running easily the fastest last 600m of 35.36 (Punter's Intelligence). Handles all conditions, has been placed here and in an open race is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Killin was beaten half a length on a heavy track at his first run for the Lees stable and then thrown into the Kindergarten at Group 3 level and finished midfield. Not raced for a year but two sound trials in March and a good draw say he should be respected. 8. Rouchel is the half-brother to Chautauqua who resumes as a gelding and he’s had the one trial for a nice enough second over the 735m. Showed a glimpse on debut of some talent and could fire up. 3. Excellency finished ahead of Killin in a Gosford trial recently and is worth thought. Will need that bit of extra luck from the barrier.
How to play it: Foxy Rocket E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Foxy Rocket runs third at Hawkesbury on March 7
|Race 4 – 3:05PM PIRTEK CENTRAL COAST HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
10. Stolen Jade looked very sharp winning a recent trial showing she’s come back in good order after a promising first preparation. Form around Electric Girl reads well and she’s drawn nicely. Expect her to be competitive.
Dangers: 1. Red Hot Moon was heavily backed on debut at Newcastle and hit the line strongly but found the 900m too short. Fitter for that and the extra 200m looks a real plus. Hard to beat. 11. Threeood is a 14 start maiden but she wasn’t far from some smart fillies back in the spring and her two trials back on wet tracks have been handy. On her trials she’s a big chance here. 3. Dis Dah Wun was given a bit of a reminder in winning her latest trial at Rosehill on a heavy but she did it pretty well. Interesting to see where she gets to in the run and market will be a good guide. Keep safe.
How to play it: Stolen Jade WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Stolen Jade wins a trial at Warwick Farm on March 20
|Race 5 – 3:45PM SIGNARAMA ERINA & GOSFORD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
6. Sebring Express is a backmarker so will need a few breaks but she worked home very well first-up at Gosford and has a handy second-up record. Track pattern will be important but has found a race where she should be competitive.
Dangers: 1. Aussie is a big query at his first run for the Bjorn Baker stable. Has beaten Bivouac in town, that was on debut, but was beaten at $1.45 at Hawkesbury before switching stables. Two trials have been okay at best but rather keep him very safe. Watch for any support as a pointer. 8. Mr Hennessy is a very good wet tracker resuming and has placed in four from six first-up. Third on a heavy at Wyong two back and this isn’t any tougher. Could give a sight. 2. Hiemel raced very well in the country last preparation and if you judge him on his trial behind Standout he has to be respected. First-up record is okay without winning, each-way.
How to play it: Sebring Express E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Sebring Express runs fifth at Gosford on March 14
|Race 6 – 4:20PM EVE SECURITY SERVICES HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
13. Celtic Love rarely runs a bad race at this level and was game on a good track at Kembla last time running a close third. Likes a wet track, drawn well and placed in three of four runs here. Looks a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Aesop’s Fable improved nicely second-up when chasing home Got Your Six at Muswellbrook. Wide alley is of some concern but she generally races off the pace and can be hard to hold out. 4. Discombe probably leads them and he was a bit too strong over the mile at Tamworth. Shown a soft track is no issue for him and while up in grade he should give a good sight. 10. Belle De Vega got back and ran on without threatening in the same race as Aesop’s Fable but drawn a lot better this time around so that could see some improvement.
How to play it: Celtic Love E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Celtic Love runs third at Kembla Grange on March 13
|Race 7 – 4:55PM SNEDDON BROS PAINTING & PROPERTY MAINTENANCE (1200 METRES)|
3. Daphne Jean is unbeaten after two starts and while the margins have been narrow she’s been strong on the line and no reason she can’t keep stepping up. Drawn nicely, wet no issue and should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 8. Badia finally broke through when an easy win on a soft track at Warwick Farm and the form around Valdostana reads well. Will need some luck with the wide gate and if she gets it she’s in the mix. 11. Mercury found the line nicely from last behind Daphne Jean at his first run for the new stable. Couldn’t see him turning the tables but he has a kinder draw so he can easily finish closer. 7. Toro Toro hasn’t done a lot wrong with two wins at Scone this time in split by a two month break. Clearly on the way up and no surprise to see him be competitive if he handles the conditions.
How to play it: Daphne Jean WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Daphne Jean wins at Gosford on March 14