By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s meeting at Gosford. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:35PM W N BULL FUNERALS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
4. Vedder bumped into what could be a handy type on debut at Warwick Farm and didn’t give in without some resistance in running second. He led there and looking at his breeding he’ll be much better on a good track. So if that’s the case expect him to be harder to run down.
Dangers: 6. Lucky Louie is a big query first-up for Joe Pride. She showed plenty of talent early on and this time last year was going around in Group races. Not sure the heavy track trials are a big guide so keep an eye on the market for a pointer. 3. Hostwin Supreme didn’t do a lot on debut but improved sharply at his second start behind what looks a smart one on the Kensington track a couple of weeks ago. On the way up and is one of the chances. 5. War Deck is a first starter from the Joe Pride yard and his latest trial was a sound one on heavy ground. Again, the betting will be a good guide but rather include than dismiss.
How to play it: Vedder WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds).
Vedder makes a promising debut at Warwick Farm on October 10
|Race 2 - 2:10PM PAYNTER DIXON PLATE (1600 METRES)|
5. Malfoy is on the way up and while beaten five lengths at his second start at Taree he hit the line with plenty of purpose late. That was on a heavy track so back on top of the ground and up to a mile he should take holding out if there's enough tempo on.
Dangers: 1. Aeecee Delighted was unsuited and outclassed when he resumed on the Kensington track a couple of weeks ago so that run can be overlooked. Whether he’s quite ready for the mile is another question but he’ll appreciate a good track and he’s drawn nicely. Likely improver. 6. Candy Girl will be in the first few in running if her recent form is any guide and she comes through the same race as Malfoy when finishing just ahead of him in third. Each-way claims. 3. Onemore Prince started big odds at Muswellbrook last time but gave a pretty good sight in front before running fourth. Yet to finish in the top three but perhaps has a chance to here.
How to play it: Malfoy WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Malfoy runs on late for fourth at Taree on October 19
|Race 3 – 2:45PM MAKINSON DÁPICE LAWYERS HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
4. Party Host looks to be working up to a win this time in and there was plenty to like about the way he finished off over the mile at Taree last start. That was his fourth run since transferring from Darren Weir and he has a win at 2000m. An each-way hope but a good chance to go one better.
Dangers: 1. Chief Kidder doesn’t win out of turn but he’s often around the placings as he was at Newcastle on October 20. He didn’t hit the front at any stage but snatched second in the last couple of strides. Best chance is probably if he leads so keep an eye out for tactic changes. 5. Bellabrook was nudged out by Chief Kidder in the same event and meets him slightly better at the weights. She’s another that doesn’t win often but is one of the chances here. 2. Home Win disappointed at Canberra last start but if he can reproduce his sound second at Hawkesbury prior to that he’s in this with a genuine hope.
How to play it: Party Host E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Party Host finishes strongly to run second at Taree on October 19
|Race 4 – 3.20PM PITCHER PARTNERS HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
3. Taniko showed some ability in her first preparation earlier this year and she resumes on the back of a nice trial win at Warwick Farm. While she was beaten on debut at this track the winner progressed to city class and if she can run up to the trial win she’ll be very hard to beat first-up.
Dangers: 1. Chalk has taken on better races than this one and was a handy fourth behind Esperance when resuming at Randwick. He does have the 62kg to carry but can settle handier from the inside gate. He has his chance to break through, it’s just a matter of whether he wants it. 7. Chiang Mai Express is the likely leader and is fitter for a narrow defeat at Goulburn over 900m almost a month ago. Probably a little more depth here from the above pair but she’s capable of giving a good sight. 4. Alliterate has the ability on her day but she’s arguably going below her best. Even effort at Newcastle when fresh and coming back in distance may not suit. Could get into a place if she does fire up.
How to play it: Taniko WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Taniko easily wins a trial at Warwick Farm on October 8
|Race 5 – 3.55PM B-MAC CONSTRUCTIONS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Coterie posted an arrogant first-up win at Wyong, racing wide for most of the event and still pulling clear. He ran easily the best last 600m of 35.18 (Punters Intel). While up in class he’s mixed it with Royal Celebration and The Autumn Sun and been somewhat competitive so not worrying too much about going maiden into a Class 1. With even luck in running he’s the one to beat.
Dangers: 3. Rare Episode looked the goods winning easily on debut at this track then paddled late as an odds-on favourite at Wyong over this trip. That could be the query again though beaten under a length. Sure to give a big sight. 1. Monsieur Macron didn’t fire a shot fresh on a heavy track at Kembla and went back to the trials where he finished close up. Blinkers go on and onto a good track he’ll be an improver for sure. 5. The Patrician has won just one from 17 but placed nine times so is always worth including in the chances. Had support on a soft track when safely held here a month ago but can do better.
How to play it: Coterie WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Coterie is far too good first-up at Wyong on October 11
|Race 6 - 4:35PM MODULAR BUILDING SERVICES HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Katie Did It looked to have plenty of upside in her debut win at Wyong last month where she accounted for a horse with some solid city form. Shapes as though the extra distance will be in her favour and if she gets the right run in transit will be hard to hold out again in a wide open race.
Dangers: 2. Oxford Angel went under as a short priced favourite at Cessnock first-up but be a bit forgiving of that performance. She’s been largely competitive in all five starts to date and, has a significant jockey change and a perfect draw. 6. Spanish Dream had good support first-up and hit the lead at Newcastle before being run over but holding third. Fitter for that and expect her to give a good account again up on the speed. 1. Maid Marilyn beat a very smart one in her only win to date and she resumes after not coming up in her last prep. Two trials have been fine and it wouldn’t surprise if she rolls to the lead and takes plenty of running down.
How to play it: Katie Did It E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Katie Did It scores a dominant debut win at Wyong on October 21
|Race 7 - 5:10PM ARTEL CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Above And Beyond has had excuses for his performances in both starts to date and has a clean slate first-up. Caught wide on debut then engaged in a speed battle in his other start so overlook them. Given a solid trial win at Warwick Farm recently and from the inside alley should have a lot more favours than he’s used to. Go well.
Dangers: 2. Lolliepop found the line well on debut at Wyong then drifting favourite and just battled at Wagga over their carnival. She has trialled nicely on two occasions and appears set to be competitive here fresh. 7. Invinciano is on debut for the Joe Pride stable and scored a narrow trial win at the Farm on a heavy track recently. Tricky draw but if there’s support she’s one that has to be respected. 3. Rose Of Savannah has been thereabouts in three runs back from a spell and doesn’t have to improve much to be competitive here on her last start second at Kembla on a heavy track.
How to play it: Above And Beyond E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Above And Beyond wins his trial at Warwick Farm on October 23
|Race 8 - 5:50PM CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF BROKEN BAY HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
9. Boca Grande didn’t have a lot of luck at Newcastle second-up, held up for a run until the race was all over but he hit the line nicely late. Up in distance looks to suit and while there are probably easier races around for him he is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 2. Zoffany’s Lad chases five straight wins after a string of successes at Taree and Port Macquarie. He wanted to run about a lot last time but got the job done and again has every chance to keep the winning run going. 3. Missybeel was reeled in late at Hawkesbury two starts back then never really a chance at city level. Back to her right class she’s more than capable of being in the finish. 6. Nordic Lover had support when accounting for a subsequent city winner at Newcastle at his fourth start. If he runs up to that effort, where he was on the speed all the way and held on, he could repeat the dose.
How to play it: Boca Grande E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Boca Grande finishes off late once clear at Newcastle on October 16