By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s Gosford meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:45PM NEWING RACING PLATE (1600 METRES)|
10. Quintessa has had this race fall right into her lap with the scratchings. She comes off placings in the Adrian Knox and Australian Oaks and if those Group 3 and 1 placings are a sign she’s maturing and will get better this prep then she might well be too good given a mile first-up is suitable with the lack of opposition. But you'll take a short price to find out.
Dangers: 3. Rainbow Man has put a couple of nice runs together to run into some form and at his latest start was run down by Malfy who looks progressive at Wyong a month ago. Worth including while racing so well. 2. Microna was no match for the winner at Newcastle last time but stuck on well to beat the rest and the winner has scored in town since. Can fill a placing. 12. Zou Island has had her chances soar with the scratchings, likely leader and might get some control so could take running down.
How to play it: Quintessa WIN ($1.12 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Quintessa runs fourth in a Warwick Farm trial on August 7
|Race 2 – 1.20PM KICK-A-HEATER HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Silent Agenda should run well again in an open race with the blinkers going on. Hit the lead at Newcastle about 200m or so out and while he didn’t quite finish it off he stuck on to go down a half length. Only has to hold that form to be around the mark again.
Dangers: 1. Highly Desired is a front-runner who has given his usual good sight in front at his couple of runs back including the Forbes Cup. Winner of that race has since won again. Capable of featuring in the finish. 3. Slatey Bay is a consistent type and he finished off too well to score at Muswellbrook third-up from a break. Best form is with some give in the ground so will need to go up a notch but at the same time is hard to leave out. 2. Concessions held her ground okay when resumingat Dubbo on a heavy track and should appreciate the much firmer going here. Might be another run away but blinkers on and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Silent Agenda E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Silent Agenda runs third at Newcastle on August 13
|Race 3 – 1:55PM BABY AYTON HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Mission River was a beaten favourite in a five horse field first-up but had excuses. He blew the start and then went looking for an inside run but eventually switched across heels and ran into third. Extra 100m a plus and drawn one so if he gets away untroubled he’s hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Heroess was run over late on debut back in March after leading but certainly didn’t disgrace in fourth behind Forbidden Love and Raison D’Etre. Has had a synthetic trial, which is hard to read, but expect she’ll be very competitive. 11. Luftwaffe showed improvement into her second trial and if she continues that progress could surprise here on debut. 9. Hajime Naoki made a good fist of it at $51 at Kembla last time beaten in a blanket finish by less than a length after racing on the pace all the way. Wouldn't surprise if he shows up.
How to play it: Mission River WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mission River runs third at Newcastle on August 13
|Race 4 – 2:30PM HAPPY BIRTHDAY REG HANDICAP (2100 METRES)|
5. Riot Act might not have liked the heavy ground last time at Canberra because he wasn’t the same horse than roared away to two easy wins on soft 5s prior to his last run. Distance should be no issue and drawn well. Worth another chance.
Dangers: 3. Continuation has been racing consistently on heavy tracks of late whereas his form says he’s much more effective on top of the ground. Yet to miss a place at this track and is more than capable of making an impact. 4. Notabadidea finished half a length ahead of Continuation last start at Warwick Farm and is also going well in the wet lately. Hasn’t won on a good track in 16 attempts but loathe to leave him out of the chances. 6. Dambulla has improved with each run back and fought on well to run third here on a heavy track a couple of weeks ago. Can give a sight.
How to play it: Riot Act E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Riot Act wins at Goulburn on July 20
|Race 5 – 3:05PM LUKE HILTON RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Manly Cove has been off the scene a year but didn’t run a bad race last time in and don’t expect that to change first-up. Was an easy maiden winner here second-up last time in and should enjoy a nice run behind the leaders. Looked good beating Masked Crusader in his first trial then not pushed in the second. Go well.
Dangers: 6. Rule Of Law boxed on okay on debut on a heavy track then led all the way to an easy maiden win at Newcastle on a soft 7. Back 100m but drawn to be right on the speed and has more upside than most. Definite chance. 2. Budhwar is an on pacer and he stuck to his guns quite well second-up over 1200m on a heavy track a couple of weeks ago. Definitely better on top of the ground so he could be harder to beat this time. 9. Last Chance Dance went under as favourite on a heavy 10 at Canberra last start but has been right in the finish in all three runs back. Barrier one a plus and she's capable of featuring.
How to play it: Manly Cove E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Manly Cove runs second in a Gosford trial on August 12
|Race 6 – 3:45PM BALLOONS IN SYDNEY PLATE (1200 METRES)|
13. Single Tonite started $1.65 on debut at Newcastle and left it a bit too late over the 900m scamper, going down narrowly. Travelled into the race in good style so looks to have plenty of ability and perhaps going out in distance will suit better.
Dangers: 2. Let It Pour has placed in five of nine starts and was only beaten three lengths by Alligator Blood in a Group 3 back in December. Against that she was beaten fair and square in a maiden here first-up in that prep. Trialling okay and drawn to have every chance. 8. Qualis is on debut for the Waterhouse-Bott yard and showed some improvement into his latest trial at this track. Might well be looking for good ground so wouldn’t surprise if he shows a lot more on race day. 12. Provide had her first trial since February when scoring easily at Hawkesbury in a small field. If that's a sign she's on the up then she can be in the finish somewhere.
How to play it: Single Tonite E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Single Tonite runs second at Newcastle on August 8
|Race 7 – 4:25PM ADAM DUGGAN RACING HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Dodecanese closed off his race very well over this course a couple of weeks ago but he does seem to be even better on a good track so that bodes well for him here. Drawn well and should be close to his top after three runs back. Good chance.
Dangers: 3. Garrison broke through on a heavy track second-up then even effort at Hawkesbury last time from just off the pace. Similar to Dodecanese he should be much better on top of the ground and he’s drawn nicely. Must be respected. 4. Winning Brothers showed promise in two starts for Matthew Dunn and this is his first for Peter Robl and as a gelding. Trialled okay on a synthetic without any pressure put on him and while drawn awkwardly he could easily take beating. 11. Tessera ran a much improved race second-up at 1100m here and this doesn’t look any harder. Has been a bit hit and miss but worth some each-way thought.
How to play it: Dodecanese E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Dodecanese runs third at Gosford on August 11
|Race 8 – 5:05PM GREG MCFARLANE RACING HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
9. Skymist was a big drifter first-up but produced a strong all the way win at Newcastle to knock over her maiden win. The runner-up has since won. While this is harder she should land on the speed again from a perfect draw and be hard to catch if she gets any peace.
Dangers: 4. Siesta Key raced consistently before failing in a Provincial Championships Qualifier back in March. Two trials have been good against smart opposition and she’d drawn ideally. Definite chance. 10. Denmiss is a knockout chance back onto a good track after a couple of ordinary efforts in Highways on heavy ground. Likely to get back but if they overdo it she’ll be one charging home at odds. 5. Super Longlea was a drifter in betting first-up and didn't make an impact at any stage over 1100m at Wyong. Fitter for that and entitled to another chance on form last time in.
How to play it: Skymist WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Skymist wins at Newcastle on August 8