By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12.55PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
3. Echo Point had good support second-up and to be fair just battled in the heavy at Kensington. He did run a promising race fresh so wouldn’t surprise to see him improve sharply with two runs under the belt and possible on pace favours.
Dangers: 2. Rapids was placed on a soft 7 here first-up and two runs since have been sound without winning. Draws to get every chance in the run here and he’s one of the main chances 1. Yangtze Rapids beat Rapids home when running into second on resuming almost a month ago. Yet to fire second-up or on a wet track, if the forecast rain arrives, so they are concerns going into this but he’s to be respected. 5. Apollate is on the back up after a luckless second at Gosford last week where he arguably should have won. Is close to a win and this is within his range.
How to play it: Echo Point E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Echo Point’s last start at Kensington on March 25
|Race 2 - 1:30PM PINATUBO NEW TO DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Port Louis was outstanding on debut at Kensington last month where he settled back and made a late dash at them closer to the inferior ground. Fitter for that, some wet ground wouldn’t bother and extra 100m a plus. Take beating.
Dangers: 13. Billiondollarbaby was a $1m yearling buy and no surprise there being by I Am Invincible from Srikandi. Liked her first trial this time around better than the second but well drawn and she must be kept safe. 9. Leen Fox has shown some ability in his trials finishing close up in his last couple. Dam won six city races and handled all conditions so if there’s support in betting he could show up. 4. Civil War was far from disgraced at his debut at Kensington beaten just over a length and crowded for room late in the race. Will need a bit of luck but definitely like to see him again.
How to play it: Port Louis WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Port Louis runs third at Kensington on March 25
|Race 3 – 2.05PM YARRAMAN PARK EASTER YEARLINGS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Siege was very impressive winning on debut at Wyong a bit over a month ago, she raced wide all the way and still rounded them up with a bit in hand. Trialled quietly since, drawn the rails and while up in class looks to have ability.
Dangers: 4. Green Flash is another smart debut winner from his first start at Newcastle a month ago when a $1.60 favourite. Did look a bit green and took a while to wind up so it wouldn’t shock if he wants a bit further but have to respect him. 6. Orpheum can win one of these races without surprising at all. No luck here three starts ago and again close up in her latest at Kensington a few weeks back. If they are running on she’s capable of making an impact. 1. El Buena could take a run to hit form but he has brushed home well in his trials so a cheeky first-up run isn’t out of the question. Was a winner at this sort of level on a soft track in October and from a soft gate he’s worth keeping in mind.
How to play it: Siege WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Siege wins at Wyong on February 25
|Race 4 – 2.40PM DAVALI THOROUGHBREDS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Fashchanel looked to be working up to a win with placings to April Rain and Harmony Rose but put in a flat one after a wide run a month ago at Warwick Farm. Freshened up and trialled well since, she can bounce back to form and be competitive.
Dangers: 2. Willowheart is trialling up quite nicely for another handy first-up run, she has won two from three fresh. Last couple before a break below her best but she’s usually not too far away. 6. Grande Rumore has to be kept on the safe side at her local debut. While this trip is the shortest she’s seen she’s performed well in five of her six starts in the UK and her second trial was a nice improvement on the first. Check betting with Hugh Bowman riding first-up. 4. Snippy Fox loves a wet track so keep an eye on conditions for her resuming since a dominant Kensington win in October. Both trials have been on synthetic and she can run a race.
How to play it: Fashchanel WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fashchanel runs second to Harmony Rose at Randwick in February
|Race 5 – 3.15PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Jailbreak led all the way to a game win here first-up then again led and gave a sight in the Country Championships qualifier at Coonamble. Back to 1200m suits him, should look to lead here and give a good sight in front.
Dangers: 1. Shadow Crush was hard in the market when resuming three weeks ago and he wasn’t disgraced despite finishing fifth behind Mr Mosaic. Fitter for that and given he was ultra consistent last time in he’s entitled to another chance. 2. Epic Dan is a very good wet tracker and his chances will soar if the track deteriorates. Racing very well without winning at this level including his close second at Kensington two weeks ago. Yet to place in five starts here but can’t discount. 4. Nerone just held off Epic Dan to score a narrow win at his first start since October. Drawn to get a good run here and if that’s the case he can be in the finish again.
How to play it: Jailbreak WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Jailbreak runs third at Coonamble on March 16
|Race 6 - 3:50PM HYLAND RACE COLOURS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
5. Travest has been a little costly to follow since he won his first two starts but they were on wet tracks and he hasn’t struck one of those lately. Ran very well last time at Warwick Farm in a strong race and kept fresh, onto soft ground, he has his chance.
Dangers: 7. So Wicked ran a much improved race third-up on a heavy track at Kensington two weeks ago and has been effective at this track in the past. Draws to get a nice run just off them, or in front if desired, and no surprise to see her run well. 2. Foxborough was in an impossible position in the Wellington Cup last time and did a big job to run on into fifth there. Tricky gate but otherwise plenty to like about her chance back here on a rain affected track. 11. Nicci’s Fling should always be included when there’s some rain around and she tried hard at Kensington behind Kiku two weeks ago. Each-way chance again.
How to play it: Travest E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Travest runs fifth at Warwick Farm on March 3
|Race 7 – 4.25PM XXXX HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
4. Lina’s Hero has been sound in two runs back in Australia and hard to ignore his last start third to Starspangled Rodeo and Yao Dash, who both won on Saturday. Soft track looks no worries for him and he only has to hold form to be in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Cliff’s Art caught the eye at her local debut first-up then drew wide up in class in the Aspiration and didn’t fire. Since then she’s trialled nicely and back in this grade from a good draw she’s entitled to show up. 10. Saigon has been scratched a few times since her excellent first-up second to The Irishman a month ago. She has won on a soft 7 here and at this trip and can’t be left out of the main chances. 6. Stockman is more than capable of running a cheeky race first-up at the trip on a wet track. Started favourite in the Christmas Cup before a spell and pay to keep safe. Also a watch on 5. Luncies who has found James McDonald at his local debut, won four from six in the UK and fitter for two trials.
How to play it: Lina’s Hero WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lina’s Hero runs third at Rosehill on March 13
|Race 8 – 5.00PM VINERY STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Lost And Running will be the shortest priced favourite of the day and it’s hard to knock him with four wins from as many starts with 1.5 lengths his shortest winning margin. Exciting type who puts himself in his races and he’s the one they have to beat again. Read trainer John O'Shea's comments here.
Dangers: 11. Mr Mosaic gave nothing else a chance when leading all the way first-up since October a few weeks ago and he can only be fitter. He could lead the favourite here and that would give him a shot. 6. Charge is an interesting runner first-up as a gelding off an impressive trial win. He was with Chris Waller then went to Singapore and is now with David Payne. One to keep an eye on. 5. Enchanted Heart is a capable mare resuming and is fitter for two trials. She hasn't been placed when first-up in the past though did close off well into fourth fresh last prep. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Lost And Running WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lost And Running wins at Kensington on March 25