By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury Park meeting. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Brazilica has a tricky map to overcome but she was ridden for cover in her trial and with plenty of speed engaged it’s likely that is how they’ll play it here. She promised plenty in her first prep and her trial leading in says she’s come back nicely. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Koonunga is a likely improver onto a Canterbury wet track and back in grade on her last couple at Randwick. She’s run well in all three starts at this track and should be in the firing line for a long way. 3. Silver Melody is a speedy filly suited around the tighter tracks, her two failures have come at Randwick and Eagle Farm. Liked her trial a few weeks back and she can run well fresh. 7. Moccasin Miss doesn’t win often but she’s placed in three of her four runs back and was close up in the other so another placing isn’t beyond her here.
How to play it: Brazilica WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Brazilica runs fourth in a Rosehill trial on June 7
|Race 2 - 1:25PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Johnny Angel is a nicely bred colt on debut with a couple of quiet trials against his name this time in and he’s travelled sweetly in both on heavy tracks. From the handy draw he can be wherever he’s comfortable and it’d be a surprise if he’s not competitive.
Dangers: 7. Mandela trialled well back in summer then had an operation for epiglottic entrapment and resurfaced with another two nice trials in June. It would be no surprise if he’s too good here first-up but check betting for confidence. 2. Exceed The Stars reacted well to being gelded as he ran on strongly late behind Rule The World here two weeks ago. Drawn well again and if he can improve on that he’s tough to beat. 10. War Baron wants a little further than 1200m but he did run on from last behind Funstar at Randwick at his first run back and that’s obviously pretty good form for a midweek race. Each-way.
How to play it: Johnny Angel E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Johnny Angel’s latest trial at Randwick on June 28
|Race 3 – 2.00PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Havin’ Fun caught the eye on debut surging late at Warwick Farm to just miss second, running 11.50 for her last 200m (Punter's Intelligence). Shapes as though 1200m will be even better and she has to be open to improvement. If she gets the breaks from the inside gate she can take beating.
Dangers: 13. Zouriana enjoyed a good run and got out in plenty of time only to be bloused late here two weeks ago. She’s bursting to win a race and doesn’t have to improve a lot to achieve that here. 1. Starla chased a handy one on debut then not disgraced behind Golden Slipper winner Kiamichi in the Magic Night on a heavy track. One trial back had merit and she’s a definite chance. 7. Lola Mae gained an inside run to hit the lead on the turn and strode out nicely late to beat Starla in that trial at Rosehill. Worth including in the chances.
How to play it: Havin’ Fun E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Havin’ Fun runs third on debut at Warwick Farm on June 12
|Race 4 – 2.35PM TAB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Haut Brion Her was scratched last Wednesday when an odds-on favourite and she’s again short here but a Canterbury wet track shouldn’t worry her. Showed promise in her first prep with a win and a second and her two trials back have been excellent. Clearly the horse to beat.
Dangers: 10. Magnolia Power is coming through the grades quickly and tried very hard behind Terminology last start. Should be up on the pace somewhere from the wide gate and can feature in the finish. 4. On Her Word had no luck in her first two starts then the breaks went her way as she finished strongly to win at Warwick Farm. Up in weight and drawn wide here but done nothing wrong and wouldn’t be leaving her out of anything. 11. Jazette has missed a place once and that was on debut behind Reelem In Ruby and River Bird and has a second to Charretera to her name as well. Beaten favourite at Tamworth last time but back in trip suits and she could be placed.
How to play it: Haut Brion Her WIN ($1.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Haut Brion Her wins a trial at Rosehill on June 18
|Race 5 – 3.10PM RANVET POWER FORMULA HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
11. Nuke chased Embracer home second-up from a similar draw and in that horse's absence gets the chance to go one better. Should land behind the speed and is entitled to be in the finish.
Dangers: 3. Exceltic has a habit of getting back and running on and he was dictated to when third to Phaistos at Kembla last time. That said he had plenty of time to get going. If he can put it all together he’s capable of winning but that’s the gamble. 4. Judge Judi has an excellent fresh record and while she was pushed along in her trial if she runs well here it'll look good for second-up where she's unbeaten. 7. Golly Miss Solly is something of a query having not started since December 2017 but has won three from five and a recent trial. Worth keeping safe.
How to play it: Nuke WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nuke runs second to Embracer at Canterbury on June 19
|Race 6 – 3.45PM FROSTED @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
There looks to be enough speed on paper to bring 5. Attorney into this race from the second half of the field. You had to like the way he scored at his Australian debut at Newcastle, making a long run, and the step up in trip is a plus. Sure to run well here. Read what trainer Matthew Smith says about Attorney here.
Dangers: 14. Perfect Rhyme is starting to put it together now with Matthew Dale and while she only won at Nowra in a Class 1 last start she did it with ease. No worries with the extra trip for her and drawn to have a soft run. Good chance. 16. Milunka seemed to have her chance in a similar race two weeks ago when favourite but she wasn’t beaten far and is only a veteran of five starts. Expecting her to be competitive again. 6. Bringagem showed a return to form on the same day narrowly failing to catch Dylan’s Romance over this course. If he can hold that form in conditions he likes then he’s an each-way hope.
How to play it: Attorney E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Attorney wins at Newcastle on June 8
|Race 7 - 4:20PM CANTERBURY LEAGUE CLUB HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
7. Weekend Affair is one of those horses that doesn’t win out of turn but he has put two nice efforts together this prep and should have finished a lot closer than fourth here two weeks ago. Drawn one again so will need luck but bursting to win one if he gets it.
Dangers: 1. Braces pulled up lame when beaten just two lengths by This Is So last start so that’s not a bad effort and he finds conditions to suit with a soft to heavy track. Claim helps, drawn well and no surprise if he goes close. 5. Plenty finally settled in the run last start but he didn’t put them away after hitting the front. Boxed on for third and he’s becoming costly. Have to include him because he’s likely to win if you don’t. 9. Vive Marie comes through the same race where she finished ahead of Plenty but couldn’t hold out Travancore. That form is good overall so if she can reproduce that she’s in the finish again too.
How to play it: Weekend Affair WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Watch the stewards vision of Weekend Affair’s fourth at Canterbury on June 19