By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Canterbury meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM SKY RACING ACTIVE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
9. Yardstick has looked the goods in his trials, jumping well enough to put himself on the speed and has been strong late. That augurs well for his debut where he’ll probably lead and take some running down in the straight.
Dangers: 6. Jet Propulsion hasn’t been the best away in his two trials but recovered well enough to sit not far from the pace. No match for Yardstick in a 742m trial while not pushed then gained a rails run when winning at Warwick Farm a couple of weeks ago. Looks to have talent and is a threat. 2. Beyliks led everywhere but the post at the Farm two weeks ago in what might have been a better chance for him to chalk up a win than this race. Still, he’s hard fit against largely first starters and will run an honest race. 3. Cat D’Oro is a very well bred colt out of former topliner Catkins, he’s not a grey like her but has trialled twice of late without being fully tested. Check betting but should appreciate some give in the ground and may run well.
How to play it: Yardstick WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Yardstick wins a trial at Randwick on July 10
|Race 2 – 1.25PM YES YES YES NEW TO COOLMORE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
11. Tiny is shaping up nicely to run a big race on debut if her latest trial is any guide. Brushed home out win to win narrowly in that gallop at Warwick Farm. Might find herself a few back on the fence and need some luck but expecting her run well.
Dangers: 8. Redoute’s Image showed plenty of promise last time in with form around Rothfire and Kisukano which reads well for a maiden. Trialling up in good style and is one to keep a close eye on. 5. La Foret led on debut at Kembla and looked to be holding them only to be swamped in the last 50m. Fitter for that and drawn to lead with blinkers on so could be harder to run down this time. 4. Joviality didn't have a lot of luck first-up at Newcastle when well in the market so keep in mind. Plenty of other hopes here too including 12. Vintage Harvest.
How to play it: Tiny E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Tiny wins a trial at Warwick Farm on July 6
|Race 3 – 2:00PM BOWERMANS COMMERCIAL FURNITURE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
3. Peace Of Mind won well first-up then was five weeks between runs into a solid third at Kensington three weeks ago. Drawn the outside but should be able to land in a good spot just off them and if that’s the case she’ll be hard to beat.
Dangers: 7. Elegant Grace is an up and comer who won at Scone before hitting the line strongly into second at Warwick Farm in a similar race to this two weeks ago. Might settle a bit closer from a better draw and should hold her form. 2. Tochi is fitter for two runs back from a spell and is unbeaten at this track with two wins at 1900m. Led and knocked up last time but took a couple to get going last prep so a likely improver here. 6. Nishka drops 3kg on her third-up win at Hawkesbury and should enjoy a soft run here up in distance from a good gate. She rarely runs a bad race so include her in the chances.
How to play it: Peace Of Mind WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Peace Of Mind runs third at Kensington on July 1
|Race 4 – 2:35PM TAB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
11. Somnus is ready for this level after a dominant third-up win over a similar trip at Newcastle. He is short enough in betting but handles all conditions, races on or near the speed and gets in on the limit weight. Progressive and clearly the horse to beat. Read jockey Tom Sherry's comments here.
Dangers: 6. Lord Gododdin has been floating around in these races for a while now and running well without winning. Blinkers go on him from a soft gate so there should be no excuses for him. 2. Dylan’s Romance is a knockout chance on his best form and should be close to showing something now after three runs back from a spell. Has a liking for this track and distance and will likely look to lead. If he gets any control he could give cheek. 7. Magic Over The Bay didn’t do a lot first-up over a mile but expecting to see some improvement from him with that under his belt and up in trip. Might need the one more but drying track helps and he’s good enough on his best.
How to play it: Somnus WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Somnus wins at Newcastle on July 4
|Race 5 – 3:10PM HARRY ANGEL @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Manhattan Mist went down fighting after a tough wide run when resuming a few weeks back and the gap between runs is handy. Drawn nicely here, races handy and the form around him has held up okay. Good each-way chance.
Dangers: 2. Lancaster Bomber was too good at Gosford last month then good effort, though beaten five lengths, behind Varda with 61kg here four weeks back. Consistent type who should run another honest race. 10. Suave showed promise winning his first two starts at the provincials then spelled after a funny run when fourth at Rosehill in November. Hit a flat spot there and took ages to wind up. Couple of quiet trials, stable in form with this sort of horse and he’s to be respected. 1. Ghostly has found one better at his last couple on wet tracks at this sort of level. Form around his last start second is good and he should be around the mark again.
How to play it: Manhattan Mist E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Manhattan Mist runs second at Kensington on July 1
|Race 6 – 3:45PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
13. Estrado has been racing well in similar events and she did a good job to get past Switched at Rosehill last time and into second place. Likes the sting out, drawn to find the fence just off the speed and if she gets the breaks can be in the finish.
Dangers: 8. Worldly Pleasure didn’t do a bad job when resuming running into third behind Spaceboy at Randwick and comes back a notch in class here. Puts in more often than not and was a winner only run here. Has a case. 3. Perigord didn’t miss a place in four starts last time in at his first prep for Gerald Ryan. Query on his trial earlier in the month, not asked for anything so keep an eye on betting for a push or otherwise. 1. Knickpoint comes right into the race with so many scratchings but still has an outside draw to overcome but when he’s on he’s more than capable of troubling these. In the market in a stakes race before a break and fitter for a quiet trial.
How to play it: Estrado E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Estrado runs second at Rosehill on July 11
|Race 7 – 4:20PM 2020 YULONG STALLIONS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
11. This Is So had back me next time written all over him when he resumed a few weeks back with an eye-catching fourth at a trip short of his best. Fitter for a subsequent trial, drawn one and while he’ll probably race midfield or so he’ll be hard to hold out if he gets a shot at them.
Dangers: 5. Bentley Magic was well supported and got the job done at Warwick Farm two weeks ago and has drawn to get a great run once again. Up the 2kg but every chance to repeat the dose. 1. Knowitall Jack will need to find the lead to be a winning chance but he does have early speed to offset the wide gate. Back in grade on two runs in Saturday company, the first-up run was excellent, and loves this track. In well with the claim and has to be considered. 3. Baanone won easily here two starts back then even effort behind Le Gai Soleil on the Kensington. Firmer track helps him and he’s always a chance in a race like this.
How to play it: This Is So WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
This Is So runs fourth at Kensington on July 1