By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM HEADWATER @ VINERY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Petronius has race experience from a run back in June where he was a game second and looked the part winning his recent trial for James McDonald. In what looks a race in two he should be hard to beat. Read trainer Gary Moore's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Yao Dash has trialled twice on heavy tracks and there was plenty to like about how he closed off the latest behind quality filly Athiri. If Petronius doesn’t win I’d expect this fellow to. 5. Jetski showed some promise early in his first preparation but didn’t run up to his promising debut in two subsequent starts. Gelded this time in so he’s worth keeping on the safe side. 2. Hemingfield raced on the speed in narrowly winning his third trial so he should be pretty fit for this debut. Seems as though he’s the second stringer from the stable but wouldn’t rule him out completely.
How to play it: Petronius WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Petronius wins a trial at Rosehill on August 6
|Race 2 - 2:00PM EVEREST CARNIVAL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Art Collection has the form on the board to say she’s the horse to beat but this is a deep fillies maiden. She won second place on protest behind Mandela at Randwick first-up and she can only be better for the run. Good track suits too. Go well.
Dangers: 11. Wandonna ran last in the Mandela race on the heavy track and that should be overlooked when assessing her chances. Both previous starts were here and she hit the line nicely on each occasion. Dry track entitles her to another chance. 2. Crystal Falls will excel over a bit further than 1200m but she finished midfield in two G1s in the autumn and while there is some quality here this race is a lesser task. Can win and one to watch for the future too. 14. Tears Are Falling might have bumped into a handy one first-up at Kembla but she still attacked the line. Certainly no easier here but drawn well and has claims.
How to play it: Art Collection E/W ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Art Collection runs second at Randwick on August 3
|Race 3 – 2.35PM KERMADEC @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
Nice race for 5. Judge Judi who should be able to get up onto the pace where she races best. Won here first-up and her last two in stronger grade at Randwick were solid. Loves Canterbury and a dry track and can be hard to get past.
Dangers: 6. Monegal proved a bit too strong against the mares here last start and after the claim carries the same weight against the boys. Honest and won’t be far away as usual. 4. Flying Pierro was nailed late here two weeks back then solid at Randwick last Saturday. On the back up and is racing well so has to be considered. 7. The Bald Eagle had excuses at Warwick Farm last time after a wide run near the speed. Should have an easier run here and can improve.
How to play it: Judge Judi WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Judge Judi’s last start fifth at Randwick on August 3
|Race 4 – 3.10PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
11. Subpoenaed holds the key to this race though she is very short in the market. Winner on debut in New Zealand and now with Chris Waller, she did more than enough in her only trial to suggest she has plenty of talent and if that’s the case she will be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 5. Sangita was an easing favourite first-up but got the job done comfortably at Wyong for a confidence boosting win. Fitter, barrier one suits and no surprise to see her run well again. 6. Nicconita is a backmarker and she did enough first-up in an on pace dominated Highway at Randwick. Placed both starts at this track and she will be hitting the line strongly. 8. Movie Role contested the same trial as Subpoenaed and finished close up in the small field. Randwick winner in December and is good enough on her best to be competitive.
How to play it: Subpoenaed WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Subpoenaed runs second in a Rosehill trial on August 6
|Race 5 – 3.45PM TAB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Don’t Leave Me Out was on the wrong part of the track when he resumed at Randwick and has since had a runaway trial win. Last win was over this course back in February over Tonsor so is more than capable of bouncing back.
Dangers: 9. Versetto hasn’t raced for a year but he should be ready to go with two trial wins in the space of four days earlier this month. Drawn to be right on the speed and could take some running down on what he showed in the trials. 5. Kawaikini has the blinkers on for the first time which is odd at her 30th start. She’s a backmarker who does race well at Canterbury and was possibly a bit stiff not to get closer when runner-up here last month. Each-way. 7. Wander had no luck in a similar race two weeks ago and was still only beaten three lengths. Will need some luck of course from the outside gate but not out of it.
How to play it: Don't Leave Me Out WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Don't Leave Me Out's Kembla Grange trial win on August 14
|Race 6 – 4.20PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Calabasas was excellent first-up from a long break here two weeks ago and has an imposing second-up record. He was strong late at 1100m and with that under the belt the extra ground will suit. Needs a breakthrough but this sets up well for him to go close.
Dangers: 5. Rock is one of these lightly raced horses who has shown promise and he did beat a handy field here last prep on a wet track. Unlucky third-up then outclassed in the G2 before a break. Trialled well in a strong heat and will be hard to keep out. 9. Dolly’s Due missed a run recently when the Kembla meeting was called off due to winds. She’s run well in three starts since a Warwick Farm win in May and is such a consistent mare you can’t leave her out with a soft draw. 7. Superbowl Sunday led all the way first-up then led again here two weeks ago but faded late to run fourth. Entitled to another chance though possibly more depth in this race.
How to play it: Calabasas E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Calabasas runs fourth at Canterbury on August 7
|Race 7 - 4:55PM CANTERBURY LEAGUE CLUB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
10. Seel The Deel should appreciate the step up in distance after a couple runs at the mile at Warwick Farm. Thought he improved there last week after a disappointing effort two runs ago. There could be good speed here and that would suit him.
Dangers: 1. Clevanicc is getting closer after three runs back and he found the line well at Wyong over a mile last time out. Two starts here for a win and a second and has Hugh Bowman taking over. Must include. 6. Ulusaba scored an on pace win over this course three runs back and hasn’t been disgraced up in class at Randwick since. Rolls forward to be in the first few and what kind of run he gets from there will dictate his chances. 5. Island Missile will appreciate getting back onto a good track but he's again drawn awkwardly. If the race is run to suit then he's more than capable of winning.
How to play it: Seel The Deel E/W ($12 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Seel The Deel runs fifth at Warwick Farm on August 14