By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM #THERACES HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
9. Just Zerene had plenty of raps on her ahead of her debut at Group 3 level in Brisbane and while beaten it was an outstanding run on reflection. She blew the start, over-raced out the back and tracked wide but still dug deep to finish the race off. To go down 3.5 lengths was super and she has a 1200m run under her belt. Won’t want to miss the start here but clearly on top.
Dangers: 5. Deep Chill is one of several dual acceptors for Rosehill on Saturday so this race could change complexion. He’s a half-brother to Dreamforce and definitely doesn’t like a wet track going on his trials. Showed a nice turn of foot winning his latest attempt and expect him to run well. 1. Antonio Padre is a full brother to Press Statement and he showed a bit of early speed in winning his trial on Janbuary 2 albeit narrowly. Tricky gate for him but respect if he lines up. 13. Cathars showed some speed on debut at Moonee Valley but battled late. Back to a maiden, drawn well and no surprise to see him improve.
How to play it: Just Zerene WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds).
Just Zerene’s debut at Doomben on December 29
|Race 2 - 6:45PM FRIDAY NIGHT RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Rancho Notorious had plenty of support first-up but no luck at all as he burst through late, 11.87 last 200m (Punters Intelligence), to run fourth here two weeks ago. Drawn out this time so will need a bit of cover but the map looks okay for him to slot in midfield or better if they go that way. He has a win in him soon and a repeat of his fresh effort, with better luck, will see him go close.
Dangers: 2. Bucephalus trialled in super fashion in late 2017 then emerged in July for a narrow trial win. Again put away and he worked home well under no pressure in a Rosehill heat on January 2. Taken plenty of time but is a big watch as he has shown talent. 1. You’re Next was a massive drifter in betting on debut but he tried very hard and was only bloused late after taking the entire straight to get past the leader. Can only be better for that run and will have every chance from gate one. 6. Press Box is the other major player as both her first-up runs have been solid before disappointing in subsequent runs.
How to play it: Rancho Notorious E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rancho Notorious runs an unlucky fourth at Canterbury on January 4
|Race 3 – 7.15PM 2019 MEMBERSHIP HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
3. Nobu has a big moment of truth as he finally steps up to the sort of trip he’s been looking for after three runs at 1400m this time in. Ridden forward last time out, sitting outside Belladeel (winner on Wednesday), and he fought on well to hold third. Now we know he can race forward he should give himself every chance up in trip. Entitled to take beating.
Dangers: 1. Re Edit won well on debut in a questionable form race on a heavy track then just battled on a soft 7 as an odds-on favourite here on January 9. Only beaten two lengths but had her chance. Should appreciate the distance and in the small field is entitled to be a threat. 6. Construe seemingly had her chance at Newcastle when a well supported favourite and was no match for the winner over a mile. She is an improver though and another bred to like a bit of distance so can’t be overlooked. 7. Storm Attack is probably no a winning chance but was expected to break through at Moruya last start and did the job. May sneak a place.
How to play it: Nobu WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nobu runs third at Randwick on January 1
|Race 4 – 7.45PM CANTERBURY NIGHT SPRINT SERIES HEAT 2 (1100 METRES)|
This race looks to set up perfectly for 7. Ballistica with a couple of noted speedsters engaged. She’s drawn to sit just off them and while up in class she still has the best ahead of her. Did plenty wrong at Gosford last time but reeled in the leader to score over 1200m, running the fastest last 600m of 34.29 (Punters Intelligence) so a fast run 1100m holds no fears. Light weight, top jockey, perfect draw, she’s the one to beat.
Dangers: 1. Bombarding is yet to win a city race or on a dry track but he didn’t miss by far to achieve the latter feat at Gosford in a much improved fourth run back. Scratched from Gosford Thursday to run here and is a good chance. 2. Gwenneth led all the way over this course back in July and she gave a big sight at 50/1 down the Flemington straight at her last attempt almost a month ago. Uncomplicated mare who likes to lead and if she gets control she could take running down. 3. Wander was no match for the winner here two weeks ago but stayed on in a race that was run to suit only the winner who dictated. Strong win prior to that on a wet track and he shouldn’t be too far away again.
How to play it: Ballistica WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Ballistica mows them down late at Gosford on December 31
|Race 5 – 8.15PM RYDE KIA EVENING STAR (1550 METRES)|
3. Great Job was excellent first-up at Randwick and gets complete control of this race up front it would appear. He was scratched from Warwick Farm midweek in unusual circumstances but this is a nice back up. He can only be fitter after being run down by a progressive one fresh, he’s unbeaten second-up and the extra 150m is right up his alley. Looks the winner for mine.
Dangers: 4. Witches hasn’t been disgraced in two runs back from a spell and she sat second when a close up fourth at Randwick on January 5 in a race with a bit more depth. She was 40/1 there but if she’s going to figure in the placings this is a prime chance for her. 5. Weekend Affair doesn’t win out of turn and he’s been unplaced in three starts since a victory over this course in November. He’s under the odds but in his favour are a small field, top jockey and barrier one. 1. Sir Barb ran a nice race two starts back over this course then beaten too far at Randwick for it to be a guide. Forgive that and he's a place chance.
How to play it: Great Job WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Great Job is run down by Fuchu at Randwick on January 1
|Race 6 - 8:45PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
5. Everlasting Love is super consistent and perhaps she has a chance to break through in what looks an open fillies and mares event. She went under by the bob of the head on the Kensington track last start in a similar race after sitting deep without cover throughout. Set to have a much easier run from gate three and has to be in the finish.
Dangers: 6. Sure Knee looks a decent threat after also having no luck at all at her second-up run behind a smart colt in Ljungberg. Hasn’t run a bad race yet and if she has better fortune she can take beating. 4. Bring The Magic settled well back and came with a long run down the outside to post a narrow first-up win on January 1 and certainly won’t be giving away a big start this time. Up from a maiden into a solid enough F&M race so will need to be on her game but she has upside. 1. Shantou probably went a bit hard in front over this course last start and I thought she held on okay to run fourth though beaten four lengths. Unlikely to lead this time and she can be competitive, only beaten a length by Everlasting Love two starts back.
How to play it: Everlasting Love E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Everlasting Love is tipped out on the line at Randwick on January 1
|Race 7 - 9:15PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
If 1. Rapido Chaparro is allowed to set his own pace in front here then even with the 62kg he can continue on his winning way. If he’s softened up then he’ll be vulnerable. He’s on the up and followed a scrambling win at Gosford with complete domination at Wyong over a mile. Bred to love the extra trip and is the horse to run down.
Dangers: 3. Nahuel has wasted no time finding winning form this preparation with a strong win over the 1900m at Gosford second-up. A lightly raced stayer on the way up and sure to get a nice run off the speed. If it is a staying test he will be strong late. 4. San Francisco turned his form around back onto a good track here two weeks ago and held a commanding margin on the line over this trip. Up 2.5kg but if he holds his form he is capable of being in the finish, especially the way Tom Marquand is riding at present. 8. Sensacova has found her form at the provincials of late and earned a trip back to city class with a strong win at Gosford over a mile. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Rapido Chaparro WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rapido Chaparro puts more than six lengths on his Wyong rivals on January 5
|Race 8 - 9:45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
7. Cape Wickham had support here second-up and made a good fist of it running third in a race controlled by the winner. Close to his peak now and with some luck from the barrier he’s a good chance in a race that is really opening up.
Dangers: 11. Quadriga is a big market watch first-up since a breakthrough maiden win at Hawkesbury in September. Ridden up to win his trial recently and back as a gelding. Drawn well and can’t be overlooked despite the class rise. 3. Kopite excels around this distance range and he returned to form with a narrow defeat to Seles on the Kensington track on January 1. Probably has to go forward from the wide gate and has each-way hopes. 10. Verlan was poor first-up as a short priced favourite then turned it around to win at Wyong coming from last through the field. Is a winner at 1400m so the extra trip shouldn't concern.
How to play it: Cape Wickham WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Cape Wickham runs third at Canterbury on January 9