By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB PLATE (1550 METRES)|
5. Frascati Miss showed plenty of improvement into her second start at Hawkesbury where she was held out by Hostwin Epanoui who has run well since. Wouldn’t surprise to see her closer in the run from a handy barrier and she looks to still have upside. In a race up for grabs she’s a good chance.
Dangers: 2. C’est Davinchi has been runner-up in five of his seven starts and perhaps he’s looking for the extra distance based on how he finished off 1280m last start full of running. That was at Muswellbrook and there’s a bit more depth here but if it’s the ground he wants then he has his chance. 4. Jonjo’s Comet was only getting warm late when running into fourth at Hawkesbury over 1300m first-up. Blinkers go on and he’s one to keep a close eye on. 1. Aeecee Delighted is a chance of having an easy lead here and he was up 500m when placed at Gosford second-up. With that under his belt he might be a bit stronger here.
How to play it: Frascati Miss WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Frascati Miss finishes second at Hawkesbury on October 25
|Race 2 - 6:45PM FRIDAY NIGHT RACING PLATE (1550 METRES)|
6. Secret Legend ran an even race on debut then had no luck at Randwick behind Nordicus in what might be a strong maiden but still found the line well. Punters Intel shows he ran the fastest last 200m of 11.69 in the race and a slick last 600m of 33.92. With the increase in distance and an ideal gate he should enjoy a smoother run and looks very hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. De Valera settled back and ran on when the race was all over behind Wolfe, who has since won again, at Kembla on debut. There has to be some upside to him and in a smaller field perhaps he won’t concede such a start. Danger. 4. Flying Mojo really turned himself around at Randwick last start and was a bit unlucky not to finish closer than the two lengths from Napoleon Solo. If he can back up the effort here then he’s a strong contender. 7. Collectively was excellent at Newcastle over a mile then up in distance she had no favours when a battling fourth here last month. Hard in the market on that night so she’s well worth another chance.
How to play it: Secret Legend WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Secret Legend’s game fourth at Randwick on November 6
|Race 3 – 7:15PM CANTERBURY FOODIES MARKETS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
9. Sixes is worth a look each-way on debut on the back of quite a nice trial win at Rosehill a couple of weeks ago. There appears to be a bit of speed on paper in this race and if that eventuates she can enjoy a nice run around midfield and have her chance to let down. She was held together in her trial win. Any support close to the race would be significant too.
Dangers: 3. Zouologist produced a promising debut behind Nordicus at Randwick on the back of one trial on the synthetic. He’s a big fellow drawn inside again but much better for the race experience and he has to have improvement in him. Keep safe. 5. Reelem In Ruby started a warm favourite on debut back in June and tried hard on a heavy track holding second in a decent form race. Recent trial winner and interesting to see what she can do on top of the ground. Must be respected. 1. River Bird failed to beat one home first-up but was found to have cardiac arrythmia so the run can be overlooked. She’s been back to the trials and she’d only have to produce some of her form from last prep to be competitive.
How to play it: Sixes E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sixes wins her latest trial at Rosehill on November 2
|Race 4 – 7.45PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Taniko won a lesser race first-up at Gosford but it was more like a barrier trial for her as she sat off the pace and sprinted home, looking strong late over the 1000m. Lightly raced mare who romped in second-up last prep and wasn’t beaten far in her two other starts before a spell. In a tough race she’ll be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 10. Moccasin Miss is finding it a bit hard to win but she’s a consistent mare who, with the right run, is capable of featuring again. Just missed at Randwick last time and only recent failure was on a heavy track. Each-way. 4. Whiskey Shooter defied a betting drift to lead most of the way when resuming at Randwick. She’ll jump onto the pace again from an inside gate and her chances will be decided by how much pressure goes on her from those drawn further out. 1. I Am Special returned in the same race as Moccasin Miss and hit the front before being run down but holding third. Fitter for that and not out of this.
How to play it: Taniko E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Taniko cruises to an easy first-up win at Gosford on November 1
|Race 5 – 8.15PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
1. Danzie has transformed into a solid horse with a couple of dominant performances of late after having many question his resolve earlier this prep. Led all the way to win at Canterbury then sat off them from a wide gate and roared away over the Randwick mile. Up in weight but the distance looks ideal, down in class and drawn well. Hard to go past.
Dangers: 5. Semper Fidelis probably wasn’t suited to leading when she was run over at Randwick on the back up from a game win over this course. With a nice soft run in behind them she can finish off much better and pose a threat. 10. Tunero turned a length off Danzie and on his back at Randwick but couldn’t sprint with him as he ran on into third second-up. Fitter for that but hard to see him turning the tables even with the extra distance. That said, he’s one of the main chances. 2. Gamblestown did what he does best running on behind the smart Sky Boy and Savacool into a placing last month. Drop in class here on that but he doesn’t win often so has to be considered an each-way chance.
How to play it: Danzie WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Danzie races away for an easy win at Randwick on November 6
|Race 6 - 8:45PM THE AGENCY PROJECTS HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
11. Waruna looks a progressive mare and it was an arrogant win by her at Randwick a few weeks back. She sat three wide throughout and was going better than anything on the line, clocking the fastest last 600m of the race in 11.51 (Punters Intel). Drawn out here but she can land in a good spot with a bit of luck and if she repeats that last performance she’ll be winning again.
Dangers: 7. See The Master is a big watch first-up from a spell on the back of a sharp looking trial win. He didn’t do a lot last time in but in his first Australian campaign he showed a bit of promise. No surprise at all to see him fire up now he’s had a bit of time. 1. Esteem Spirit has been flying with wins on his home track at Kembla in October and has earned a shot in town. He’s come up with a shocking gate, though, and likely has to push forward to offset it quickly. If he can then he could take some beating. 9. Nacho Libre is another on pacer drawn out a bit and he’ll be going forward onto the speed for sure. Run down in the last stride at Warwick Farm then not disgraced behind Danzie at Randwick. Can give a sight.
How to play it: Waruna WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Waruna proves far too good after a wide run at Randwick on October 31
|Race 7 - 9:15PM KIA HORNSBY EVENING STAR (1250 METRES)|
5. Arancini appeals at each-way odds first-up. Two runs back he had to work overtime to lead from a wide gate then came from well back off another wide gate at Doomben. He wasn’t asked for anything in the trial and from a perfect draw he’ll be right on the back of the leaders and it’d be a surprise if he’s not competitive at least.
Dangers: 8. Vinnie Power is hard to knock of late with three wins from her last four starts and she responds when challenged. She has to go forward from wide out to get onto the speed here but there doesn’t look to be a lot of pace and she has a long run to the first turn. Don’t discount. 1. Drachenfels is back a long way in class (though up in weight) after a fair effort behind Cradle Mountain at his first run for Bjorn Baker. If he can reproduce his third in open company two runs back he’s a winning chance in this field. 3. Blue Tycoon did all the chasing second-up at Randwick and was still there in a close finish when running fourth. Won’t be as much pressure in this event and he’s at his peak by now. Gets his chance to show some winning form.
How to play it: Arancini E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Arancini’s trial at Rosehill on November 2
|Race 8 - 9:45PM TAB HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
5. Pierina was never in the hunt when resuming at this track last month but she did attack the line very hard out wide when it was all over to be beaten a few lengths. With that under her belt, an extra 100m and gate two she’ll be a big improver in a race with a bit less depth than last time.
Dangers: 6. Medovina produced a promising first-up effort at Randwick over 1100m and appears the logical danger. Where she gets to from the wide gate I’m not too sure but if she finishes off as she did fresh then she’ll take holding out. 3. Excelling proved far too strong in a nice first-up win at Kembla. This isn’t any harder and he’ll probably roll up onto the speed and be there when it gets serious in the home straight. 8. Poetic Charmer started favourite but couldn't get past Excelling in the same race but will be fitter. Whether he wants 1400m remains to be seen but can't leave him out.
How to play it: Pierina E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Watch for Pierina finishing off hard down the outside at Canterbury on October 26