By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s night meeting at Canterbury Park. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 6:15PM TAB.COM.AU HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
1. Judge Judi was game in defeat over the same course two weeks ago when kept busy in the lead before kicking away only to be cut down late. Racing in super form this time in, she will lead or be right there again and is well in with the claim. The one to beat.
Dangers: 2. Seahampton is not the horse we all thought she might be in the middle of last year but this is a race she can win if she wants it. Boxed on okay on a wet track at Warwick Farm last time, drier surface suits and she has her chance. 3. Lady Of Shalott is fitter for two runs back but it’s been five weeks between runs and she jumps 350m on her battling midfield finish here last time. Good enough, so worth including. 4. Ardanza is an on pacer and she led and held on for third at Newcastle last start. Form is mixed but she’s next best.
How to play it: Judge Judi WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Judge Judi finishes a close second at Canterbury on February 1
|Race 2 - 6:45PM SUMMER NIGHT RACING HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
10. In A While was a bit stiff not to win third-up two weeks ago, she was railing up at a vital stage and didn’t get a clear run until it was too late. Beaten less than half a length. Drawn ideally, at her peak and with even luck in running she should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Altair wasn’t disgraced in the Magic Millions maiden then ran on from well back at Randwick off a wide gate and looking strong on the line. He’s been around the mark without winning for a while and he has to be respected. 1. Tactical Formation was runner-up in the same race as In A While and he looked the winner there before being grabbed on the line. Close to a win and should be in the finish again. 7. Home Scene has led at his last couple and he also comes through the Canterbury race two weeks ago where he ran a close fourth. Another that’s had a few chances but is racing well and no surprise to see him give some cheek.
How to play it: In A While E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
In A While runs third at Canterbury on February 1, Tactical Formation second.
|Race 3 – 7.15PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
2. Californiafirebird has struck top form and no reason he can’t go on with it after an impressive Kembla win and his fast finishing second here two weeks ago in a similar race. Drops in weight after the claim and is a major player.
Dangers: 1. Georgica is ready to show something after two runs back and he held his ground at 1550m last start suggesting the step up in trip is what he’s faster. Bowman on and drawn the inside so he’s dangerous here. 3. Red Dubawi found his form quickly this prep and finished strongly to score third-up at Newcastle. Proven over this course and is sure to run well again. 7. Seababe meets Red Dubawi a little better at the weights after being run down by that horse at Newcastle. Consistent without winning and is an each-way chance.
How to play it: Californiafirebird WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Californiafirebird charges into second at Canterbury on February 1
|Race 4 – 7.45PM AUTUMN CARNIVAL ON SALE HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
6. Bull Market was scratched from a winnable race last week due to the downpour and has struck another one that’s up for grabs. He comes off a much needed confidence booster when an easy winner at Gosford a couple of weeks ago, he’s drawn well and has tactical speed. Go close.
Dangers: 2. Wayanka was also withdrawn after the rain last week and has barrier one and Bowman to ride second-up after a close fourth at Randwick. Doesn’t win out of turn but certainly a chance here. 4. Bajan Gold is one of a couple of imports from the Waller stable and he looked to trial well at Geelong on the worst part of the track on January 29. Both wins at 2000m and has Kerrin McEvoy to ride so watch the market. 3. Domed hit the line fairly well when resuming at Randwick, she generally improves with racing and distance and does like this track. Capable of winning.
How to play it: Bull Market E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Bull Market wins easily at Gosford on January 30
|Race 5 – 8.15PM THE AGENCY REAL ESTATE HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
2. Sundarbans mixed her form last time in with two country wins and two city failures. Trialled okay at Rosehill recently and has drawn to get every chance. If there’s a market push it’ll be a significant pointer.
Dangers: 4. Call Me Royal was just too quick for them first-up at 1200m here and will likely look to lead again from gate eight. If she can repeat the effort in this class she can take running down. 3. Ballistica has been thereabouts. Good effort two starts back then loomed up here two weeks ago and just battled late. Racing well enough to be an each-way hope. 9. Le Lude broke through first-up at Goulburn and went under there as a long odds-on favourite last time out. Drops in weight and picks up James McDonald so worth keeping in mind.
How to play it: Sundarbans E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sundarbans runs second in a Rosehill trial on January 29
|Race 6 - 8:45PM CANTERBURY NIGHT SPRINT SERIES HEAT 5 (1200 METRES)|
5. I Am A Cool Kid couldn’t have been more impressive offsetting a wide gate and bolting in first-up at Randwick in a Highway. He showed speed to lead easily and was never troubled, zipping home in 33.38 his last 600m (Punters Intelligence). Up to 1200m here and out of Highway grade so this will be a test but he’s exciting and is hard to go past.
Dangers: 3. Handle The Truth would be heading for the Country Championships Qualifier at Goulburn and he’s won three of his last four starts including two Highways. Smart on pacer who shouldn’t be overlooked. 12. Vega is one of those horses that should always be included in trifectas. He almost caused an upset two starts back then hit the line well late here two weeks ago behind the placings. Each-way. 8. Symi won well on debut at this track then not disgraced in Saturday company before failing against the best fillies in the spring. Recent trial winner and with luck is in the mix.
How to play it: I Am A Cool Kid WIN ($1.45 TAB Fixed Odds).
I Am A Cool Kid wins easily at Randwick on January 26
|Race 7 - 9:15PM KIA MOTORS EVENING STAR (1100 METRES)|
4. Miss Que is now with Kris Lees and she possesses a big first-up record. Huge when placed behind Trekking fresh last time in and has run second to Osborne Bulls. Two trials since joining the Lees yard have been sound and she should take holding out.
Dangers: 5. Oriental Runner resumed with a tidy effort to run third at Randwick behind Junglized so this is a slight class drop. Second-up record is ordinary but that’s the only real negative for him. Entitled to run well. 1. Invincible Quest is first-up for a year but has an imposing record and two good trials under his belt so he's not to be underestimated. 6. So Spirited will find this a bit easier than first-up behind Junglized, his second-up record is handy and this race has fallen away a bit so he's worth throwing in at least.
How to play it: Miss Que WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Miss Que’s first-up run last prep at Rosehill on August 11
|Race 8 - 9:45PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Divine Breeze put a couple of fair efforts behind her with an eye-catching second here three weeks back, running the fastest last 200m of the race in 11.65 (Punters Intelligence). Usually races closer to the speed than last time so from barrier one could be handier and she certainly gets her chance to break through.
Dangers: 1. Mollyfied was a very strong first-up winner at Warwick Farm late last month on a soft track. Last prep her form was a bit mixed and while up 4.5kg if she has come back better then she could win again. 2. Seaglass can be a bit costly to follow and she really didn’t do a lot fresh behind Clipper at Randwick in December. Back to the trials and back in class here she’s worth another chance. 11. Lady Elizabeth hasn’t won for a while but she had support last start when chasing home Luskintyre Lass at Warwick Farm. That was a month ago, she has further weight relief with the claim and is an each-way hope.
How to play it: Divine Breeze WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Divine Breeze runs second at Canterbury on January 23