By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:55PM RUBICK @ COOLMORE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
11. Olympic made a very promising debut back in December with a closing third behind Pin Sec which is good form for a maiden. He ran the fastest last 600m of the race there in 34.51 (Punter's Intelligence) and strongest last 200m of 11.70. Trialled okay behind Lyre recently where he seemed to handle a soft track. Wide open race but expecting him to run well.
Dangers: 8. Impudens has looked very good in winning two trials in the past month at Newcastle and Wyong. Not sure how to line them up but was very strong on the line in the latest trial and Blake Shinn staying with him is a pointer. Keep very safe. 7. Escondido wasn’t disgraced on debut behind Cardiff two weeks ago but might have a bit more in his favour with a wet track and extra 100m. Trialled nicely on soft prior and is a likely improver. 10. Not Feint Hearted hasn’t seen a wet track in his trials but there was a bit to like about his latest which was a close third at Warwick Farm three weeks ago. Wouldn’t shock to see him show up.
How to play it: Olympic E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Olympic’s debut third behind Pin Sec at Randwick on Boxing Day
|Race 2 - 1:35PM THE CHAMPIONSHIPS ON SALE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
14. Wayupinthesky was solid in the market on debut in the Reisling and stayed on okay to run fifth behind Tenley. Had trialled nicely before being thrown in the deep end and back in class, drawn inside and with the experienced under her belt she should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 7. Compatriot might be over the odds, she ran a very nice race at her only start behind Evening Slippers two weeks ago and once she ran into third she wasn’t overly pressured. Extra 100m is a plus looking at her run and she’s a good chance. 4. Badia hit the line nicely behind a couple of talented youngsters at her only start back on February 6. Since been back to the trials to tick over and this is a suitable race. Can win. 16. Precisely was a drifter in betting at her debut in October and didn’t look comfortable. Two trials recently have been excellent and she posted a dashing win at Warwick Farm in the latest. Sure to give a sight.
How to play it: Wayupinthesky WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Wayupinthesky runs fifth in the Group 2 Reisling Stakes on March 9
|Race 3 – 2.15PM STAR TURN @ VINERY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
4. Green Aeon impressed winning his only start two weeks ago at this track, leading all the way. Had to like the last 100m or so as he stretched away and the extra distance shouldn’t be a concern. He ran his last 400m in 22.80 on debut (Punter's Intelligence) as he sprinted away. He’s trialled well on a wet track and while up in class he should be very competitive. Read trainer Bjorn Baker's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Bubbles’n’troubles likes a wet track and while she had her chance to win two weeks ago she was only beaten half a length with 60kg. This looks a suitable race for her, down in weight and she’ll give another honest account. 5. King’s Peak is coming through the grades well and while a beaten favourite on a heavy at Kembla last start he still found the line from last into third. Hasn’t done a lot wrong and no surprise to see him measure up. 6. Perfect Pitch is inconclusive on a wet track under race conditions but she has trialled well on it and produced a nice first-up effort three weeks ago. Will relish the extra ground and can’t be overlooked.
How to play it: Green Aeon WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Green Aeon wins on debut at Warwick Farm on March 13
|Race 4 – 2.50PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
It’s been a while between drinks but 3. The Pharoah might have struck a race he can win if he gets the control it appears he might. Racing in consistent form at present with four placings from his last five starts and he will give them something to catch. Good each-way chance.
Dangers: 9. Up Trumpz has been thereabouts all prep so far and he hit the line strongly from well back behind Wagner at Randwick last time. Soft track is okay for him and has drawn well. Should be in the finish somewhere. 4. Nicco Lad hasn’t raced since chasing home Royal Celebration and Evalina back in October and that sort of form would see him very competitive here. Trialled very well at Randwick a couple of weeks ago and any improvement in the track is a plus for him. Definite chance. 2. Signore Fox raced wide all the way first-up at Randwick in a much stronger event and it was no surprise to see him drop off late. Better than that and if he can have a bit more fortune in the run he could turn it around quickly.
How to play it: The Pharoah E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
The Pharoah runs third at Warwick Farm on March 13
|Race 5 – 3.25PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
3. Fairlight is a lightly raced import who looked so good in winning at his second local start at Kembla on a wet track there’s every reason to think he can win this too. Took a little while to wind up but there was no stronger horse in the last 200m than him as he powered away late. Has all the upside, go close.
Dangers: 2. Jake’s Hill is also fitter for two runs back from a spell and he was a bit wayward but found the line nicely behind Supernova at Rosehill what looks a good form race going forward. Needs to win one as he’s been threatening but has a good chance. 8. Makdanife broke through with a soft all the way win at Hawkesbury on a wet track last week and he’ll get conditions to suit him again. If he can put in the same effort he’ll be in the finish. 6. Equipped comes out of the Fairlight race at Kembla and he led there and boxed on favourite as an easing favourite. Consistent and can be thereabouts.
How to play it: Fairlight WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Fairlight wins easily at Kembla Grange on March 15
|Race 6 - 4:05PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
A bit leftfield but 7. Lucky Helmet can run a nice race fresh at good odds. He bumped into Prophet’s Thumb fresh last time at 1200m then won twice up in distance including on a soft track. Very quiet trial leading in but if he there’s some pressure up front he’ll be the one charging late. Could surprise.
Dangers: 9. Fasika rolled an odds-on favourite in her impressive debut win at this track two weeks ago and looks a promising type. No idea how she’ll go in the wet but she’s trained here so has likely seen some affected ground. Big threat. 10. Gentle Persuasion was far from disgraced running on from last behind Evalina first-up from a spell and no doubt she’ll be much better for that as she missed a run leading in. Wet should be okay and look for her running on again. 2. Ragazze has won three from four and she was simply too tough late when resuming at Kembla earlier this month. Handles the wet, drawn well and has the claim so every chance she can be in the finish again.
How to play it: Lucky Helmet E/W ($34 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lucky Helmet runs second when resuming last prep at Wyong
|Race 7 - 4:45PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
8. Silent Explorer is racing in career best form at present, save one flop up in distance, and he was just outgunned late over this course two weeks ago, Good wet track form, drawn to be in the first few and if he holds his form then he’ll be around the mark again. Each-way.
Dangers: 13. Vega doesn’t win out of turn but he’s strung together five good efforts of late and hit the line behind Ligulate when runner-up here two weeks ago. He’ll do is thing again and is one to include in all the multiples. 3. Gold Mag is very well found in the market and I thought he was very plain when a beaten favourite at Sandown a month ago. He’ll need to lift on that but he does have very good wet form including a heavy track win so that keeps him in the mix. 7. Yulong Emperor is a huge query at his first Australian start for the Waller stable. No official trials, no jump outs in Melbourne but has barrier one and James McDonald. Watch betting.
How to play it: Silent Explorer E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Silent Explorer runs second at Warwick Farm on March 13
|Race 8 - 5:20PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
12. Roosevelt has the chance to regain his best form back in class after two even enough efforts in stronger grade since a break. He kept coming second-up in a Listed event at Randwick and he does have a big win over this course on a heavy track to his name. Looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 13. Voila was beaten half a length in a Group 3 at Flemington two starts back then down the track at Doomben before a spell. Goes well fresh, likes the wet and while drawn out it’s only one turn to negotiate. Keep safe. 8. Stephan was a shade unlucky here two starts ago then closed late again at Canberra in a feature sprint. Wet is okay and might be looking for the extra 100m now. Each-way at least. Don’t ignore 1. Noble Joey first-up on a wet track either, he’s a bold front runner with good fresh form and could give cheek.
How to play it: Roosevelt E/W ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Roosevelt’s last start effort in Listed company at Randwick on March 9