By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Monday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Track has come up a Heavy 9 after some surprise rain.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM EVENTS BY ATC PLATE (1100 METRES)|
First starter 6. Kylease has shown plenty of promise in her recent trials and is set to perform very strongly on debut. Coasted home two trials ago then arguably could have won her latest which was last week at Warwick Farm. She’ll be on the pace if her trials are a guide and hard to beat.
Dangers: 8. Lashes gave a big sight on debut in a strong maiden at Canterbury leading and boxing on for a close third behind Vegadaze and You’re Next. Beat Kylease in a subsequent trial and is the logical danger. 1. Canyonero has the ability to worry the fillies and he’s been gelded since a luckless second on a heavy track in November. Fitter for two trials and he’ll be competitive. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here. 11. Sharapova debuts on the back of two trials and she caught the eye late in her second at Rosehill, in the same heat as Canyonero, picking up plenty of ground. Wouldn’t shock to see her feature somewhere.
How to play it: Kylease WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Kylease runs second to Lashes in a Warwick Farm trial on January 22
|Race 2 - 2:00PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. So Taken is short enough in the market but does look the winner on paper in the small field. Should have won first-up last prep and then won two and was narrowly beaten in her other start in the spring. Hard to get a lead on her quiet trial but looks to track the speed and finish over the top.
Dangers: 4. Witherspoon has to be considered a risk at 1100m but she has put two game efforts together this time in and you’d expect her to look to lead from the outside. It all depends on what kind of run she has in front, if she is able to cross them. 2. Miss Invincible is a consistent filly but she was no match for some decent three-year-olds at Randwick last time. Another on pacer who will be up on the speed and punching on. 1. Difficult To Get is fitter for two runs back and wasn’t up to the task in a fast run 1000m on the Kensington track a few weeks ago. Doubt he can win but capable of a placing.
How to play it: So Taken WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
So Taken’s easy win at Randwick in October before a spell
|Race 3 – 2.35PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
11. Savigne should relish the step up to a mile after two runs at 1400m. The winner came from behind her at Warwick Farm last time and took all the runs through as she got to the outside so her effort was more than acceptable. Ready to win and will be one of the major players.
Dangers: 7. Lady Cuvee beat Savigne at Warwick Farm first-up but as mentioned she had all the favours with a dream run through the field. Against that she’s fitter and is impossible to leave out. 1. Silent Explorer was huge last start and wouldn't surprise to see him feature especially with the wet track being in his favour. 4. Zavance was no chance the way the race was run last time at Gosford but hit the line into second. Wet track no issue for her and she's one of the chances.
How to play it: Savigne E/W ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Savigne runs second to Lady Cuvee at Warwick Farm on January 16
|Race 4 – 3.10PM KEN PHILLIPS MEMORIAL HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
2. Gayatri is an up and coming stayer and was scratched from Canterbury midweek to run in this. Did it the hard way but arrived in time, running a sharp 33.70 last 600m (Punters Intelligence) to win at Randwick three weeks ago and appears looking for more ground than the 1800m there. Drawn well and while up 2.5kg she is the horse to beat.
Dangers: 1. Equipped did a great job in defeat at Randwick two weeks ago carting the field up to a tearaway leader, hitting the front then staying on for third. Down in grade and drawn well and though he doesn’t win out of turn he is a serious threat. 8. Vihari was in the market in the same race as Equipped but didn’t relish being taken out of her comfort zone. Dominant winner two starts back and entitled to another chance. 5. Allcash is one of those consistent stayers and he probably should have finished a bit closer third-up at Canterbury beaten two lengths. Extra trip a plus, he’d love a bit of sting out, and is an each-way chance.
How to play it: Gayatri WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds).
Gayatri wins at Randwick on January 1
|Race 5 – 3.50PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Rebel Miss is super honest but she does find it very hard to win them lately. Even effort behind Heart Conquered first-up without being a winning chance but this is easier and, to be fair, she probably won’t get a better chance to win a race this time in.
Dangers: 7. Epic Dan won nicely first-up then continued his trend of taking a dip second-up but he held on okay at Gosford. Excels at the short trip and has a good winning strike rate so keep him in mind. 10. Our Rosemaree broke the shackles with a Highway win in November then doubled up beating Chewbacca at Rosehill a few weeks later. Drops to 1000m and should be hitting the line strongly in a warm up for the Country Championships coming up. 5. Don't Tease Me is the likely leader and has been known to give some cheek. Fitter for an even effort at Muswellbrook and doesn't mind a wet track.
How to play it: Rebel Miss WIN ($1.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Rebel Miss's first-up run at Randwick on January 8
|Race 6 - 4:30PM AUSTRALIA DAY CUP (2400 METRES)|
2. Satono Rasen has the hoof right on the till and he was enormous in the Gosford Cup, riding a solid tempo and going under in the last few strides. At peak now after three runs back and this race shouldn’t be run as strongly. Chance to break a decent run of outs here.
Dangers: 5. Naval Warfare has also hit his straps and put two wins together, romping away with the Tatt’s Cup at Randwick three weeks ago. More depth in this race but hard to knock him and he’s sure to be in the finish. 3. Etymology, speaking of horses finding their form, has toyed with his rivals in two Flemington wins to enhance an imposing record over staying trips. There is a lot more depth to this field but if he beats them up again he might well have found his calling as a staying prospect. 6. Roman Son is not to be forgotten either, he’s a stayer on the way up and started favourite in the Gosford Cup when a late closing fourth. Probably not suited with the way the race was run on the firmish track but more than capable of winning this.
How to play it: Satono Rasen E/W ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Satono Rasen goes down fighting in the Gosford Cup on January 17
|Race 7 - 5:10PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
7. Nordicus finished off well behind Tough Larry in his trial, closing late under some pressure. While Larry seemed to be travelling the better he'll come on from the hitout. He was dominant in winning back in November at Randwick and has a pedigree to say he should be able to win better races. Has the upside and should take beating.
Dangers: 12. Feather is another one of these lightly raced types from the Hawkes stable resuming from a dominant maiden win. Drawn well, fitter for a recent trial and he looks a big threat. 11. Beidi was a well supported favourite at Canterbury last time but was never in it as the winner controlled the race in front and dashed away. He was fair late. Previous run was excellent in a good quality three-year-old race so he could be worth another chance. 9. Gravitate is big odds but usually runs well fresh, is okay on a wet track and is one of those horses that is rarely too far away without winning.
How to play it: Nordicus WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nordicus runs third behind Tough Larry in a trial at Rosehill on January 15
|Race 8 - 5:50PM THE CHAMPIONSHIPS ON SALE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
15. Intense Focus is closing in on a win and the step up to 1400m from barrier one looks ideal. He did all the chasing behind You Make Me Smile at Canterbury last time and stuck on well to run second. He shouldn’t be too far away in the run and with even luck he’s a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 7. Pembroke Castle was never in the race last start, the same event as Intense Focus, but the wet track brings him back into this. His previous form was honest and he's capable of turning it around. 3. Final Zero held her ground at Randwick behind Extreme Bliss and this is a small step down from that. Has a heavy track win to her name and is worth including. 16. High Low Bet ran last second-up but wasn't beaten far and there's a lot less depth in this than against the likes of Vegadaze and Ljungberg. Blinkers on and he's entitled to show something.
How to play it: Intense Focus E/W ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Intense Focus runs second at Canterbury on January 9