By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Rosehill. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM 1ST PRIDE OF DUBAI YEARLINGS IN 2019 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Jetski is a half-brother to the handy Trekking and while he only beat one home in his latest trial he did look to have plenty in hand. In a tough race, he’s drawn well and the stable’s two-year-old’s are flying so he can be expected to run well without being bullish.
Dangers: 6. Mo’s Crown showed some speed and had something left when winning his only trial appearance at Warwick Farm a couple of weeks ago. If he runs up to that he’s in there with a big chance. 10. True Detective comes through the same trial, his second, and while he was outsprinted early in the straight he was strong enough late to suggest he could turn the tables on race day. 14. Colada has the race experience and he wasn’t disgraced off a wide gate at Warwick Farm at his second start in a strong maiden. No surprise to see him very competitive here.
How to play it: Jetski E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Jetski’s latest trial at Randwick on February 18
|Race 2 - 2:00PM ATC HONOURS SEBRING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Crystal Falls trialled very nicely behind Athiri a month ago then an even effort at Randwick in her latest. Shown enough to keep her safe on debut in an open race.
Dangers: 10. Villami looked to do it easily in her first trial then given a sterner test before throttling down late in her second. Can’t knock on what we’ve seen in trials and if there’s support that would be a further pointer. 4. Instant Attraction has only trialled once and was kept under a hold in running fourth behind Villami. Inside alley a plus and she’s well worth keeping safe. 7. Sally's Day may have had excuses on debut when a beaten favourite back in October. Won two trials leading in so entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Crystal Falls E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Crystal Falls' latest trial at Randwick on February 7
|Race 3 – 2.35PM TAB REWARDS HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
6. Zourhea proved a bit too strong at the 1550m second-up and she’ll appreciate the extra ground even more. Promising middle distance filly in the making and there’s no reason she can’t go on with the job.
Dangers: 7. Altair finally delivered a win at his tenth start and shapes as though he should handle the 1800m. If he can put two good runs together then he’s a live chance again. 4. Bring The Magic had a perfect trail and wasn’t able to run down Zourhea at Randwick last time and while there is a turnaround in the weights I’m not sure she’s as well suited with the trip as the other filly. Still, she’s a definite chance. 2. Costello sprung an upset with a rails hugging run to win at Warwick Farm two weeks ago. He’s crying out for the distance too and it’ll be interesting to see if he can back it up as well.
How to play it: Zourhea E/W ($5 TAB Fixed Odds).
Zourhea downs Bring The Magic at Randwick on February 6
|Race 4 – 3.10PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
6. Latin Light beat a number of his rivals in this event by a decent space at Warwick Farm two weeks ago and looks to get some on pace favours again. Still in okay at the weights and he should be hard to run down. They can take turns in these races, though.
Dangers: 1. Our Gravano is one of a few to come out of the Curata Princess race at Randwick two Saturdays ago and he finished it off well to run third. Up in weight for not a big class drop but he’s in form and a contender. 4. Californiafirebird was an eye-catcher two starts back then too bad to be true at Canterbury last time as a warm favourite. Inclined to overlook that run and include him in the chances each-way. 5. My Psychiatrist ran a much improved race when chasing home Latin Light at Warwick Farm. Better off at the weights though has some ground to make up. Each-way.
How to play it: Latin Light WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Latin Light is far too good at Warwick Farm on February 13
|Race 5 – 3.50PM ALL TOO HARD @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
11. Phoenix River is worth a shot at odds each-way. He’s a well bred colt and he attacked the line nicely, running just a tick outside the best last 200m with an 11.18 (Punter's Intelligence), on debut in a handy maiden over 1100m. Extra trip right up his alley and if they can run on he should be finishing strongly again.
Dangers: 4. McCormack is unbeaten and it’s fair to say we don’t know how good he is yet. Impressive winning off a break at Kembla and the runner-up won its next start. Back to the trials for a hit out and the 1300m is ideal. Keep very safe. 1. Call Me Royal has the outside gate but she is a front-runner so expect she’ll look to lead. If she gets there without too much pressure she will take plenty of stopping. If they soften her up she’ll be vulnerable. 10. Debate got the job done on debut back in August in just a fair maiden but she looked very good in her recent trial win so she’s probably come on with the break. Drawn perfectly and if she is above average she’s a threat.
How to play it: Phoenix River E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Phoenix River’s eye-catching debut fourth at Randwick on February 6
|Race 6 - 4:25PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
10. Lady Elizabeth is nice and fit and she’s chased home a couple of in-form mares at her last couple. Back in distance but sprinted strongly late so returning to 1400m suits and she’s drawn perfectly. Race fitness and map in her favour, she’s a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Welsh Legend showed plenty of promise late last year, should have won two back then bumped into a smart one in a small field at Randwick. Trial was nice, distance suits fresh and she’s right in this. 6. Scarlet Dream is another up and coming middle distance type, she was far too good once she hit a mile at her last two starts. Trials okay, she’ll get back but look for her to be running on. Read trainer Mark Newnham's comments here. You would have expected 2. Frankely Awesome to produce more than she did first-up behind Archedemus given the support late. She was plain at best there but fitter and she can improve.
How to play it: Lady Elizabeth E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Lady Elizabeth runs second at Canterbury on February 15
|Race 7 - 5:00PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
12. Kolding should have won last week, he was badly held up at a vital stage and once clear the race was over but he still made plenty of ground into third. Last 600m of 34.26 (Punter's Intelligence) was second best of the race and he was not able to reach his top. No harder, down in weight, drawn perfectly and with even luck this time he should atone.
Dangers: 3. Supernova is an ex-UK stayer making his local debut and while his form has been over 2000m+ he trialled in a fashion on February 18 that says he has to run well fresh. Naturally he’ll improve but a big watch here. 5. Bull Market did a good job on the pace to hold on and win at Canterbury last start. Goes up in weight but there’s no more depth here and he’s drawn well. Has to be in the finish. 9. Sondelon ran very well first-up after eight months and disappointed at Warwick Farm last time as favourite. Could get some control on the speed here and he’s entitled to another chance.
How to play it: Kolding WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Kolding’s luckless third at Randwick on February 20
|Race 8 - 5:35PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB (1300 METRES)|
12. Regal Stage is coming off a maiden win on debut but looks to hold the key especially as it appears he’ll be afforded a nice run on the speed. Full brother to Lankan Rupee and it was a pretty soft win at Gosford. If he is handy then he can win this.
Dangers: 11. Professor Marx can find one better of late and he might have bumped into one or two promising types again. Tried hard at Warwick Farm last time over this trip and is hard to leave out. 1. Mr Tickets has a bit against him with the weight and barrier but he does tend to perform fresh so if he can find a spot with cover he can feature. 4. Bangkok wasn't suited first-up at 1000m but hit the line okay late. Always improves second-up and drawn to be very competitive.
How to play it: Regal Stage WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds).
Regal Stage debuts with an easy win at Gosford on February 12