By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Saturday’s meeting at Rosehill. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:15PM TAB HIGHWAY PLATE (1500 METRES)|
9. Proven Class isn’t perfectly suited at the weights but she is a strong finisher and fitter for her last start second over this course two weeks back when off a five week freshen. She ran the fastest sectionals for the race, not overly quickly run, by a margin and the testing track will be a plus to her hopes. Will need everything go right to win but at the odds she should run a place and worth an each-way look.
Dangers: 1. Al Mah Haha won’t find a more suitable race for the rest of his career and is entitled to be a clear favourite. He’s a Goulburn Cup winner four starts back and was beaten 2.3 lengths in the Group 2 Villiers, last start only a length off Soldier Of Love who won at Randwick last week. The only worry about taking the short odds is the fact he’s still eligible for a Highway with a strike rate of three from 25. Read trainer Tash Burleigh's comments here. 12. Perfect Pitch also has a concerning strike rate (two from 33) but both wins are at this track, she has gate one and is well in at the weights. 3. Toro Toro next best, he can be a bit one paced at times so the step up in trip might just be what he’s looking for.
How to play it: Proven Class E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Proven Class runs second at Rosehill on January 16
|Race 2 – 1.50PM WIDDEN STAKES (1100 METRES)|
Fascinating contest. 2. Vianello has some race fitness on her side with just a month between runs and a tickover trial. She made a dazzling debut at Newcastle and on Boxing Day she was reeling in the first two with every stride going down half a length. Can see her tagging the speed from a soft gate and she could run over the top of them. Read trainer James Cummings' comments here.
Dangers: 3. Total Babe has been in the unfortunate position at both starts of being between horses on the speed and never getting comfortable. So she’s far from disgraced in those starts and had a nice time of it winning a recent trial over She’s All Class. Could take some running down. 1. Mallory was the best of the chasers behind the boom filly Enthaar in the Gimcrack Stakes in October. She brave there having to push between horses all the way. She was a $21 chance so has something to prove but her trial says she’s ready to fire. 4. Excela Bella was only fair in two starts in Victoria but looked sharper winning her trial earlier in the month so could be an improver.
How to play it: Vianello WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Vianello runs third at Randwick on December 26
|Race 3 – 2:25PM CANONBURY STAKES (1100 METRES)|
It can be risky getting excited about a youngster off one barrier trial but 9. Home Affairs really looked the part in a slashing trial win two weeks back in fast time. He was totally in control in the gallop and didn’t appear to max out at all. Expect from the handy draw he can be wherever James McDonald wants him to be and if he runs up to that trial, assuming he handles the ground, will be very hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Zethus caught the eye at his debut behind the boom colt Remarque, giving away a start and charging into second with some nice late sectionals. Will likely have to go back again but look for him hitting the line. 5. Sing A Love Song ran third in the same race and also made good ground so he has to be in the mix too. 6. Montana Flash is an interesting runner, didn't do a whole lot on debut in the Victory Vein but he did trial quite well and the blinkers come off. No surprise to see him fare better.
How to play it: Home Affairs WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Home Affairs wins a trial at Rosehill on January 15
|Race 4 – 3:00PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2000 METRES)|
1. Vadiyann might be back on track after his dashing attempt to lead all the way in a similar race two weeks back. He opened up a big lead in the middle stages and was only reeled in over the last 100m with a clear margin to third. Better off at the weights this time around and some give in the track won't harm him. He’ll give you a big sight again. Read jockey Sam Clipperton's comments here.
Dangers: 3. Harpo Marx has to be the danger once again though he is 2kg worse off for a long neck win there. He’s a strong stayer and adept in all conditions, so it may come down to what pressure can be applied to the leader. 8. Great House is the wild card, he’s an import with the Chris Waller yard who ran well without being a real flashing light run at Flemington over a mile. Will appreciate the extra ground here, watch for some support and include him in everything. 2. Word For Word doesn’t win out of turn but her effort second-up was solid and prepared to forgive her failure behind Sacramento. Likes the sting out and is an each-way hope.
How to play it: Vadiyann WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Vadiyann runs second at Rosehill on January 16
|Race 5 – 3:40PM ROSEHILL BOWLING CLUB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
Prepared to stick solid with 5. Derbari who is bursting to win a race and is now into his comfort zone. Slashing return at Warwick Farm over the unsuitable 1100m then went to Wyong with 60kg and copped a midrace check, which put him out of play, before surging late to go down half a length. Up in class but performed in higher grade last prep, a soft track is ideal and the trip suits. Solid each-way chance.
Dangers: 11. Shaik was a beaten favourite in a race here two weeks ago where not a lot went right for her. She reared slightly at the start and that put her back near the tail, the race wound up being slowly run and it was impossible for her to win from where she was. She ran on well and is entitled to another chance. 6. Marsannay has been excellent in both runs back and is a versatile type who shouldn’t be overlooked. May well get some control up front and that brings him right into it. 4. Oscar Zulu proved a bit too strong late first-up then up to Group 3 grade in Brisbane and attacked the line to claim third. Small question mark on a real wet track but worth thought.
How to play it: Derbari E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Derbari runs third at Wyong on January 20
|Race 6 – 4:20PM SCHWEPPES HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Charretera is a very good wet tracker who rarely runs a bad race. Hit the line like he usually does behind Count De Rupee and with the scratchings going to 1400m on a wet track looks good for him. Has to be hard to beat.
Dangers: 5. Canasta had some support when he resumed here two weeks ago, he led and boxed on okay but was no match for the winner Above And Beyond. Doesn't want it too much wetter but can get a good run up on the speed here. 10. General Soho is a model of consistency and might appreciate the weight drop and a bit of tempo after he rushed into third at Canterbury over 1100m last start. 9. Moana Jewel was a strong first-up winner on a heavy track at Warwick Farm. While she hasn't won second-up as yet she usually holds her form.
How to play it: Charretera WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Charretera runs third at Rosehill on January 16
|Race 7 – 5:00PM IRON JACK EXPRESSWAY STAKES (1200 METRES)|
5. Savatiano is dynamite first-up and with the scratchings she's clearly the horse to beat in the Expressway. She has an imposing first-up record of five wins from eight attempts, she's drawn to sit probably off Mizzy and hit the front 200m or so out.
Dangers: 2. Star Of The Seas is a big threat now the rain has pushed the track well into the soft range and he's clearly come back in great order looking at his latest trial. 6. Flit is capable on a wet track through it was probably beyond her in the Golden Eagle after a pre-race downpour. Runner-up in the Missile on a heavy track in the spring and is in the mix. 7. Mizzy clearly had an issue in the spring as she was spelled after an uncharacteristic failure first-up. Can't fault her two trial wins and she can give a sight.
How to play it: Savatiano WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Savatiano runs fourth in a Randwick trial on January 21
|Race 8 – 5:40PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
1. Frosty Rocks loves to get his own way in front and he’s some chance of wresting control from a gate that suits his rolling style. He gave big sights at the Gold Coast in two runs at 1800m, probably just beyond him on top of the ground, and just went under prior to that. He’s racing in great form, is advantaged by a mid-range soft track and should take running down. Read trainer Bjorn Baker's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Betcha Flying is on the back up after a close second at Randwick last week in a race with probably a little more depth. Beat More Prophets over this trip before that and from gate one you’d imagine she’ll have her chance to threaten. 3. True Detective showed a return to form third-up behind All Time Legend and Subedar, he doesn't win out of turn but is capable of being thereabouts again. 10. Brutality has the blinkers back on after a close up seventh behind Soldier Of Love last week. But more importantly he does appreciate a wet track so he could easily threaten.
How to play it: Frosty Rocks WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Frosty Rocks runs fourth at the Gold Coast on January 16
|Race 9 – 6:15PM 50 YEARS ATC MEMBERS RECOGNITION HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
3. Big Parade was pestered out of it at Randwick last start having to work too hard to hold the lead and to be beaten only a length was a great effort. The runner-up Bandersnatch then won the Carrington Stakes. Love him drawn out so he can roll over and sit probably second trailing the leader, similar to his big win a couple of starts ago. Hard fit and track condition is of no consequence to him. Very backable. Trainer Mark Newnham's comments are here.
Dangers: 5. Mo’s Crown chased Big Parade home two starts ago and finished just behind him again last time with every chance. He is racing well and is one to throw into the trifectas as usual. 6. Handspun will be fitter for a first-up run and generally improves on her fresh performances. Likes the sting out and has a show. 8. Thermosphere has won on a wet track at Rosehill and while she excelled over a bit further last time in she's trialled okay and is worth a look.
How to play it: Big Parade WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Big Parade runs third at Randwick on January 9