By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s Kensington meeting at Randwick. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 1:35PM RISE UP THIS AUTUMN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Arrogante had plenty of support at his debut at Newcastle and while beaten he did make ground and getting out to 1400m will assist. Could easily have stayed out of town but coming here second-up is a good push.
Dangers: 6. Carif is bred to be a superstar but hasn’t yet shown his worth in three starts. Encouraging signs in his second trial and he’s worth keeping safe and wouldn’t rule out 7. Sharapova either, she’s looking for 1400m and while we're on a soft track again she's worth keeping safe. 1. Costas bumped into Diplomatico on debut then had his chance as a short priced favourite at Canterbury back in October. One trial and wasn't knocked about so be guided by the market.
How to play it: Arrogante WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds).
Arrogante's debut second at Newcastle on February 2
|Race 2 - 2:15PM TAB REWARDS PLATE (1100 METRES)|
2. Classique Legend trialled so well at Hawkesbury earlier in month, where Kerrin McEvoy travelled for the one trial ride, he’s a massive chance to debut with a win. Well bred, dam is a full sister to Racing To Win, and on what we saw in the trial he’s the horse to beat.
Dangers: 9. Got Your Six will provide some resistance, her debut on this track two weeks ago was excellent when run down near the line by Trope. Fitter and this is no harder, sure to take catching. 5. Full Recognition is a half-brother to the smart Whispered Secret and he’s looked the goods, though tested out, in winning both his trials in January. He’ll be strong late and is a definite chance. 1. Charm Offensive just can’t seem to crack it for a win and he was an odds-on favourite and looked the winner only to be bloused late at Kembla first-up. Blinkers go on and he does have a placing to God Of Thunder against his name. Capable of being competitive.
How to play it: Classique Legend WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Classique Legend easily wins his Hawkesbury trial on February 8
|Race 3 – 2.50PM EVENTS BY ATC HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Cristobal finds herself in a very winnable race if she’s ready first-up. Didn’t handle the heavy at her last run on Everest day when a beaten favourite but placed to Gem Song and Royal Celebration before that. Two trials have been quiet but she should take holding out.
Dangers: 1. Mossman Gorge responded after being headed to win over this course two weeks ago and drops in grade slightly. In well with the claim and will be in this for a long way. 6. I’m So Sweet went off the boil when up in class at the end of the spring but her form earlier in the preparation was sound and has her in the mix. Trialled okay at Rosehill and drawn to have every chance. 4. Chewbacca is in an unsuitable race but if they overdo it up front he’ll be charging at them late., Comes off a setback since his second at Rosehill in December but is good enough to be in the finish.
How to play it: Cristobal WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Cristobal runs third at Rosehill behind Gem Song in September
|Race 4 – 3.25PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (1800 METRES)|
2. Green Sweet hasn’t won for almost 700 days but he’s threatening and has found conditions to suit him. Huge run from last in the Bega Cup with 62kg on an on-pacers track and finds Hugh Bowman and barrier one here. Very good chance for him to break through.
Dangers: 6. Calibration is an ex-Weir horse now with Chris Waller and has been racing consistently in Victoria around the 2000m mark. Drawn okay and bears close watching here. 9. Ahmad is an improving type who followed that dramatic Nowra win with a game on pace effort in a similar race to this one two weeks ago. Same weight but worse off compared to the runner-up of that race, still he’s the up and comer and has to be respected. 8. Another Snappy can mix his form but has put two good ones together and if Ahmad is a chance then he’s right in this too with a 3kg swing. Will lead and run along and could take running down if rated right.
How to play it: Green Sweet WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Green Sweet’s eye-catching third in the Bega Cup at Sapphire Coast on February 3
|Race 5 – 4.05PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1550 METRES)|
6. Desert Lord still has a fair bit to learn but he responded to being let stride when scoring over 1400m two weeks ago on this track. Not a lot of opposition on paper and if he settles in the run then he should win again but will be a short price.
Dangers: 1. Wayanka is on the back-up from Friday night where he led and fought on gamely to go down narrowly in third over this trip. The back-up has worked well for the Waller yard and he’s a danger as he does everything right. 7. Toulouse was safely held by some handy three-year-olds when resuming on a wet track at Rosehill but it wouldn’t surprise to see him lift sharply. Talented type and if he finds his best he’s an upset chance. 3. Taikomochi won at 1400m fresh last time in and wasn’t disgraced up in class after that. Fitted with two trial wins and kicking off at this trip should see him on the speed and he could take some catching.
How to play it: Desert Lord WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Desert Lord wins at Randwick on February 6
|Race 6 - 4:45PM BOWERMANS OFFICE FURNITURE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Bubbles’n’troubles won well on debut and resumes off a stakes placing. There was plenty to like about her trial win earlier this month. She’s an on pacer and kicking off at 1400m says she’s very fit so expect her to be hard to beat.
Dangers: 6. Romani Girl was a beaten favourite fresh but wasn’t disgraced as she hit a flat spot before diving late to go under a neck or so. Probably concedes a start again from the wide gate but is a big threat. 8. Swiss is an improver and she needed that win at Kembla last start after threatening for a while. She powered away late there and from a nice gate she has the chance to graduate to city grade. 3. Laburnum is another that needed a win last start and she was pretty good late over 1200m at Kembla. Has won at 1350m and Bowman steers so you can’t leave her out.
How to play it: Bubbles’n’troubles E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Bubbles’n’troubles wins her trial at Warwick Farm on February 4
|Race 7 - 5:20PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Kolding had plenty of excuses for his defeat on this track second-up where he chased home Desert Lord. He was stuck wide without cover for much of the 1400m and only paddled the last bit. He still ran 34.57 for his last 600m despite covering an extra 7.7m (Punters Intelligence). Gate one gives him the last call at them and with clear running he’ll go close.
Dangers: 8. Acquittal did all the work wide out and carted the smart Noble Boy home at Warwick Farm so he wasn’t disgraced in running second to that unbeaten galloper. Model of consistency and close to his top now, definitely good enough to give this a shake. 4. Rock did it the hard way from well back on a heavy track at Canterbury off his excellent Magic Millions maiden placing. A few more favours for him here with the firmer track and while up in class he’s a must. 10. Intense Focus was a touch disappointing at Warwick Farm last start on a soft 7 but blinkers go on and his previous form is okay.
How to play it: Kolding WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Kolding runs second to Desert Lord at Randwick on February 6