By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Wagga meeting. Selections based on a soft to heavy track.
|Race 1 – 12:35PM GOOD LUCK ANDREW BENSLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Lion’s Roar is a big watch and any support will be significant. He had a quiet trial on a soft 7 then did a bit more when second to Wild Ruler in the second hitout. No surprise to see him go close.
Dangers: 9. More To See has only had the one public trial and it was a promising one at Canberra where he was quite strong late to go down narrowly. Bit of a guess in the wet but at the price is worth throwing in. 5. Another One is an unknown quantity given there was no vision of his easy trial win at Corowa a couple of weeks ago. In good local stable and watch for any support. 3. Mr Moppett showed improvement on an even debut at this track to win at Orange after tracking wide. No exposure to the wet but otherwise a good chance.
How to play it: Lion's Roar WIN ($1.85 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lion's Roar runs second in a Randwick trial on April 21
|Race 2 – 1.10PM NSW RACEHORSE OWNERS ASSOCIATION HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Just Business had some support at his first run back and while no match for the winner he stayed on well up on the pace to hold second. Fitter for that and should be in this for a long way.
Dangers: Stablemate 3. Royal Fighter is the big query runner. Ex-Chris Waller, he’s only had the one start at the Gold Coast and was safely held. No public trials, drawn well and bred to be okay in the wet. Keep safe. 5. Ivy’s Belle has been running on well at 1200m in three runs back so the extra trip could be up her alley. Comes through the same race as Just Business here last start and is one for the trifectas again. 4. Your Eyes Only has had his chance at his past few but they have been improved performances. Bred to handle a heavy track so he could be an improver.
How to play it: Just Business WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Just Business runs second at Wagga on April 19
|Race 3 – 1:50PM THE DAILY ADVERTISER HANDICAP (2000 METRES)|
4. She’s A Treasure has had this race fall in her lap with scratchings. She was under pressure on the turn at Goulburn last start at a mile but boxed on well. First go that this trip for Matthew Dale, has a couple of fourths to her name from her previous stable, and is entitled to go close.
Dangers: 5. All Tiara is untried at this trip but has struck form with a couple of nice efforts at Moruya lately. Has a heavy track unplaced run to her name and that's the only concern. 9. Express Courier was a heavy track winner at Canberra two starts back so gets a tick on that score. Just fair last time but worth another look. 2. Willy White Socks wasn't disgraced at big odds in a stronger race here last start. Likes it wet so could surprise.
How to play it: She's A Treasure WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
She's A Treasure runs second at Goulburn on April 16
|Race 4 – 2:25PM RIVERINA MOTOR GROUP HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
Market a big guide here. 6. Jac The Great trialled nicely on a heavy track at Canberra earlier in the month so that shouldn’t be an issue for his debut. In top stable, drawn well and if there is support he might be the way to go.
Dangers: 3. Wichita Warrior is another first starter and he is ex-Bjorn Baker. No public trials for the Dryden stable and hard to get a line through his Sydney trials but, again, if there’s any confidence around he could be hard to beat. 7. Cash Or Credit disappointed on debut back in June last year but has been given plenty of time. Trial winner at Tatura recently, wouldn’t shock to see some support for her and if there is it’s a positive sign. 4. Fat Gecko ran on well from a long way back here at his second start. Unknown on a heavy track but on the improve so has each-way claims.
How to play it: Jac The Great E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jac The Great runs second in a trial at Canberra on April 2
|Race 5 – 3:05PM BENDIGO BANK HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Yousay Bolt has a low percentage racing style but should take plenty of beating here. Huge at Albury two runs back then another big effort after coming from last and giving away too much start here last time. Handles all conditions and is the one to stop.
Dangers: 4. My Blue Jeans is on the back up after breaking through for an easy win at Goulburn last weekend on a good track. That’s a good sign he’s in top form as all previous wins have been on soft or heavy tracks. Go well. 8. Jungle Book failed in stronger company last start but previous form was consistent including a heavy track placing at Wellington. Generally around the mark at this level and is an each-way hope. 6. Mohican can be hit and miss but scored a tough win at Kembla on a soft 7 before midfield at Canterbury back on the good. Wet track form keeps him under notice.
How to play it: Yousay Bolt WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Yousay Bolt’s last start at Wagga on April 19
|Race 6 – 3:45PM HARRISONS JOINERY HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. Jodhpur will win this with any luck, which he’s very much due. Should have won three back then probably found 2000m a bit far before dropping to 1200m and having a hard luck story. Trip is perfect, handles wet, gets his chance.
Dangers: 6. Noble Belle was well supported and got the job done on a soft 7 at Nowra at her first run back. Didn’t manage to win last prep so she’s obviously come back better and the wet is no worries for her. Good chance. 7. Milamoo is improving with each run this time in and while she might be a query on a heavy track she is not without a chance. 3. Bell's Innocent looks a risk on a heavy track but overlook last run at Sandown and his form is pretty solid for a race like this.
How to play it: Jodhpur WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Jodhpur runs second at Wagga on March 30
|Race 7 – 4:20PM IRON JACK WAGGA TOWN PLATE (1200 METRES)|
3. Southern Lad is a smart one on his day and looks to have been set for this first-up. Easy first trial then given a more serious gallop in his latest at Randwick. Wet no worries, goes well fresh and rarely puts in a bad one. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 18. Irish Songs is well worth throwing in as he comes off a strong win in the Moruya Town Plate which backed up his excellent effort in the Country Championships heat there. If they are coming down the outside by this time of the day it brings him right into contention. 11. Man Of Peace took a couple of runs to get going after a long break last time in but finished off with a narrow defeat to Mugatoo at Randwick. Not pressured I his trial and he’s effective in the wet. While 1200m is a touch short of his best he can run well. 9. Miss Scorcher was back to her best winning the Prelude here recently with a typically tough on pace effort. Her only heavy track run was a handy fourth at Randwick and she had an excuse or two there as well. Each-way hopes.
How to play it: Southern Lad WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Southern Lad runs second in a trial at Randwick on April 21
|Race 8 – 4:55PM NAVIGATE ADVISORS PLATE (1600 METRES)|
9. Exotic Deel comes off a total forgive run at Orange and she was set a big task two runs back at Sapphire Coast as well. So she’s racing a lot better than the form says and a wet track doesn’t look a big issue. With even luck she can be a major player.
Dangers: 5. Your Knuckleship doesn’t have the best strike rate but he is racing very consistently on wet and dry tracks. Narrowly denied over this course last start and might go one better this time. 1. Ilvermorny has won one from 11 and that was his only start on a heavy track and he’s racing consistently of late without winning. Just a bit weak late when fourth at Kembla on April 18 but shade easier here. 10. Room Number found it too short when returning from a two month break so the mile will suit in testing ground. Wouldn't shock to see her improve sharply.
How to play it: Exotic Deel WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Exotic Deel’s last start at Orange on April 17