By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s Scone Cup meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:20PM CRESSFIELD STUD HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
6. Married To The Mob chased home the smart Rothfire on debut then drew wide and failed behind another boom youngster before spelling and being gelded. Liked his two trials, kept under a tight hold in the latest and drawn to be in the firing line for a long way. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Lost And Running showed speed in his latest trial and had a little in hand winning at Randwick over 742m. Not sure where he gets to from the alley but it’s a straight run to the turn. Must respect him, especially if he is solid in betting. 2. Daltoro looks a nice horse in the making if his trials are any guide. A little green in the latest but strode out well late at Gosford doing it quite easily at the finish. No surprise to see him win on debut. 4. Our Fox had good support when returning at Moruya but couldn’t sustain it after leading. Blinkers go on so inclined to give him another chance on an each-way basis.
How to play it: Married To The Mob WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Married To The Mob runs third in a Gosford trial on May 5
|Race 2 – 12.55PM KIA ORA STUD PLATE (1300 METRES)|
16. Important Product is a very interesting runner first-up since a placing in a small field at Rosehill back in November. It wasn’t a bad run despite the margin, he was just run off his feet. Two trials have been excellent and the 1300m fresh suits. Probably gives away a start from the barrier but rather be with him than against.
Dangers: 5. Hustled might want it a touch further ideally but really liked his two trials this time in over the shorter trips. He’s been competitive in all five starts, expect him to get back but also expect him to be hitting the line strongly and could surprise them. 11. Mother’s Day might be a slight risk at the distance looking at her last run here over 1100m where she had her chance, loomed and couldn’t pick them up. Extra 200m has to be a query but concede she has drawn a soft gate, should hey a nice run and hasn’t finished worse than fourth. 1. Aldane is on debut on the back of one trial but it wasn’t a bad effort finishing close up behind some smart ones in Derby Star and Mahalangur at Tamworth earlier this month. Can only be improved and could run a race at odds.
How to play it: Important Product E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Important Product runs second in a trial at Goulburn on May 8
|Race 3 – 1:30PM HORSEPOWER HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Live And Loaded had plenty it hand it seems as he cruised home first-up at Kembla in a race that has produced a bit of form already. Should appreciate the mile on the big track, drawn well again and if he gets into the clear he will take plenty of holding off.
Dangers: 2. Secretly Awesome is another coming off an impressive maiden win and he’s been back to the trials since his Wyong victory a month ago. Races handy and should be in the finish. 5. Lando Bay looked beaten on the turn at Wyong a couple of weeks ago but rallied to edge clear again late to break through at start eight. Mile is no issue for him and he’s tough so well worth considering. 3. Chariots Of Fire hit form second-up at Newcastle then coasted to an easy maiden win at Goulburn when up to the mile as an odds-on favourite. More depth here but going the right way so is in the mix.
How to play it: Live And Loaded WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Live And Loaded wins at Kembla Grange on April 28
|Race 4 – 2:05PM INGLIS 2YO CHALLENGE (1100 METRES)|
10. The Bopper brings quite a few raps with him after his impressive debut win at Tamworth a few weeks back and it’s easy to see why. He did enjoy a nice enough run but when he sprinted he put them away in a few strides and won easing up. Drawn wide but just the straight run to the turn and he’s hard to go past.
Dangers: 4. Go Gadget was a drifter in betting on debut at Muswellbrook but he caught the eye charging through late to run a close second. Finds an extra 200m here and if he runs up to that first-up effort he will be competitive. 6. Pyrmont also has a wide gate but he brings city form into this race through a sound first-up fourth and a game second at Warwick Farm in his latest. Probably looks to push forward and has to be respected. 3. Commando Hunt made ground without threatening on debut at Tamworth and has since been back to the trials for a win. Firmer track might suit and could be an improver.
How to play it: The Bopper WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
The Bopper wins at Tamworth on April 26
|Race 5 – 2:40PM WIDDEN STUD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Van Giz looks well placed here after a luckless second at Wyong last time where he sat wide on the speed, gave the winner a cart into the race and fought on to go down narrowly. Bursting to win one, he’s bumped into a couple of handy ones this prep, and with the inside alley he has his chance to break through.
Dangers: 11. Divine Approach was a bit stiff not to win when resuming at Grafton, she was travelling well in behind them but didn’t catch a break until about 150m out when she charged. Might not get so far back here and she can be in the finish somewhere. 19. Special Privilege was too good on debut then chased home last week’s Highway winner Tejori at Canberra where he gave away a big start and probably should have finished a length or so closer too. Runs up to that and he’s a show. 5. Sedona will need luck from the barrier (but again it’s a straight run to the turn) and he wasn’t disgraced at Kembla after racing wide. Only blew out the last 100m and the form has held up from the race. Each-way.
How to play it: Van Giz WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Van Giz runs second at Gosford on April 25
|Race 6 – 3:15PM PRYDE’S EASIFEED NOEL LECKIE COUNTRY CUP (1400 METRES)|
2. Hit The Target ran an amazing time in leading all the way in the Soldier’s Saddle at Bathurst over this trip and it was just reward for a good prep to date with the only failure in the Country Championships Final and he’s not a heavy tracker. Unbeaten on his home track and if he produces anything like last run he’ll take catching.
Dangers: 6. Sneak Preview wasn’t disgraced in the Country Championships then gave away a big start and ran on when it was too late at Narromine when an odds-on favourite. Does give away a start in his races so that’s the risk but if he gets the breaks he’s a good chance. 10. Luna Mia has been going through the motions a little though had excuses two runs back at Randwick. Backs up and rises in trip on another even effort in a Highway last weekend. Capable but running out of chances. 7. Acoustix is a go forward horse drawn wide and he’s racing consistently in similar events. Just found one better at Newcastle last time, if he can get across he should be in it for a long way.
How to play it: Hit The Target WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Hit The Target wins at Bathurst on April 25
|Race 7 – 3:55PM DARLEY SCONE CUP (1600 METRES)|
10. Live And Free put the writing on the wall for this race with his eye-catching second in the Hawkesbury Cup at Rosehill, running a 33.94 last 600m (Punter's Intelligence). Second-up form is always better even though he was more forward than normal fresh so he should be at his peak. Map could be tricky with Archedemus out but it’s the right race for him so sticking with that.
Dangers: 4. Dr Drill could be a big improver on a flat second-up run. Glue on shoes come off suggesting there might have been a hoof issue there last time and his first-up run was too good not to give him another chance. Races handy and that could be a plus. 7. Sambro comes through the same race and he held his ground well enough without threatening finishing three lengths off Ranier. Second-up form is always better and he did run third in the Villiers second-up last prep. 11. Phaistos was run down by Ranier in that race a month ago then came from well back, running fast splits, to get up on the line at Kensington on a day where those swooping did well. Up to a mile which he’s yet to win at but he’s in career best form and has to be considered.
How to play it: Live And Free WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Live And Free runs second in the Hawkesbury Cup at Rosehill on April 25
|Race 8 – 4.35PM TURANGGA FARM HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Favra was arguably a good thing beaten at Newcastle last time out when favourite and looks well placed to atone. Just needs the breaks to get away from the inside as he’s not really an on speed horse and he’ll be a force.
Dangers: 4. Bollywood had a perfect trail and pounced late to score second-up at Wyong over Van Giz, who runs earlier, and the extra trip can only help her cause. Consistent filly and is one of the major players. 1. Mayaaseh raced handy but wasn’t up to it in a much tougher affair behind Rocha Clock second-up. Find this a lot easier and she was Listed placed last time in so does have some ability. Drawn to have her chance to show it. 2. Darleb was a bit too strong at Wyong third-up after a couple of below par efforts to kick off his campaign. Has similar credentials to the main chances here so warrants some thought.
How to play it: Favra WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Favra runs second at Newcastle on April 23