By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Sunday’s showcase meeting at Sapphire Coast. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:55PM EAST COAST RADIO HANDICAP (900 METRES)|
3. Exceed The Night appears the most versatile in a tricky scamper with a number of leaders engaged. Has the inside alley and overlooking his Highway run last week her form reads well with two wins over the trip including one on a soft track. Expect she will run well and is capable of winning.
Dangers: 4. Kiss My Swiss has been too quick in both her starts on her home track and both on firm ground. No indication on how she’ll handle the sting out but she’s hard to knock otherwise and has to be considered. 2. Damagic beat a small field at Queanbeyan before a big drifter in betting and a fair fifth at Moruya though not beaten far. Entitled to another chance. 7. Sheza Danza hasn't fired at 1200m in her past three starts but posted two wins over shorter trips prior to those defeats. Small field suits and she's a place chance here.
How to play it: Exceed The Night WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Exceed The Night wins at Moruya on January 7
|Race 2 - 1:30PM ILG SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Major Danger has found a nice race to kick off in. Beaten favourite in both starts to date but had excuses when he last raced back in September where he sat wide but kept fighting to go down narrowly. Drawn well in a small field and is entitled to go close.
Dangers: 5. Shoot For Coomaah is an interesting runner from interstate who has been in the market in both starts on wet tracks and performed fairly. Market will be significant and he’s worth keeping safe. 4. So Magnifique has been freshened up since a couple of placings at Wagga in the mid to late spring where he was right in the market but conceded decent starts before running into third. Sting out could be a plus for him. 2. Havelka was around the mark without winning last time in and has a placing at 1000m to her name despite probably wanting a bit further. Her best run last prep was fresh and on a soft track so no surprise to see her show up.
How to play it: Major Danger WIN ($1.95 TAB Fixed Odds).
Major Danger runs a close second at Goulburn in September
|Race 3 – 2.05PM BEGA BETTA HOME LIVING HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Coup De Main is the best horse in the race and with some strong Highway form against his name. He was brave behind a smart one at Rosehill back in December and while he’s burdened with 61kg and a soft track he’s shown enough to say he’s a Country Championships hope and if he is then he will take stopping.
Dangers: 6. Mookareena comes through the same Highway race where she made some ground without threatening into fourth. That followed a strong first-up win at Gundagai. Meets Coup De Main slightly worse at the weights but the form is good and she’s in the mix. 5. Revitup Rednut ran a handy fourth in a Highway back in November and more recently proved a bit too strong scoring at Moruya just over a week ago. Runner-up at both starts here and should be competitive. 8. Saycanyousee led and gave a sight when runner-up to Revitup Rednut at his second run from a two month break. Meets that horse 2kg better so comes into consideration each-way.
How to play it: Coup De Main WIN ($1.70 TAB Fixed Odds).
Coup De Main runs second to Noble Boy at Rosehill on December 1
|Race 4 – 2.40PM BEGA BOBCATS PLATE (1400 METRES)|
14. Indiana Star is a filly on the way up and wasn’t disgraced despite going under at Moruya almost a month ago with the winner getting an inside split. Better for the run at 1400m and you’d think she’d be close to her top now. Shapes well for this maiden and she’s hard to beat.
Dangers: 10. Jailbird Jayjay has found the line with purpose in two runs back from a spell and was a bit stiff to be beaten at Canberra last start when bloused on the line. Only has to hold her form to be in the finish again. 2. Pinetti started big odds on a soft track at Moruya in late December but ran out of his skin with a close second. Freshened up and if that wasn’t a fluke he’s at least an each-way chance. 7. Street Cred showed improvement second-up running on well into second at Queanbeyan. Suggest he’ll be better on the bigger track and given he was favourite last start he must have been showing plenty. Keep in mind.
How to play it: Indiana Star WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds).
Indiana Star finishes second at Moruya on January 7
|Race 5 – 3.15PM MOMSEN MOTORS BEGA SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
7. Manzana is up in class but drops 5.5kg on a very impressive all the way win at Canberra a couple of weeks back. Expect they’ll take advantage of the weight drop and look to lead or be right up there and he likes the sting out of the track. Sure to give a big sight again.
Dangers: 2. Fermanagh Lad has struck top form with successive feature sprint wins at Moruya and Cowra and he is effective in soft ground. Meets Manzana 5.5kg worse for when they last clashed where he beat that horse by three lengths so that levels them up a bit. Good chance. 1. Easy Beast led and boxed on at Moonee Valley two starts ago then beaten favourite in a five horse field at Morphettville. Decent class drop into this race and five weeks between runs plus blinkers off. Keep in mind. 5. Tiger By The Tale is one of those horses that is always around the mark but doesn’t win out of turn. He ran on as he usually does at Moruya in the Town Plate and was placed to Fermanagh Lad before that so he’s in the mix.
How to play it: Manzana E/W ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Manzana scores easily at Canberra on January 18
|Race 6 - 3:50PM WALCOTT EXPLORATIONS HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
13. Sestina has been racing in very good form this preparation and led them up at Nowra last start and fought on well when challenged to run second. Had good support that day too and it was on soft ground. Goes forward and is one of the main chances.
Dangers: 8. Denver has won one from 18 but he’s been competitive at his last three in and was favourite behind Luga Lad at Canberra where it’s fair to say he had every chance. 1. Herecomesmybaby is an interesting runner first-up since August with a big weight. Form in her first preparation was excellent including a city placing and she’s to be watched closely for a push. 14. Fiery Beast has improved with each run and finished strongly to score an upset win at Canberra. Needs to keep it up but heading the right way so has each-way claims.
How to play it: Sestina E/W ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds).
Sestina runs second at Nowra on January 14
|Race 7 - 4:25PM BEGA CHEESE SHOWCASE CUP (1600 METRES)|
1. Green Sweet deserves to win a race and he looks to be not far off it after a gallant second at Moruya giving the winner 6.5kg. He was in front until the shadows and was swamped in the last few strides. A little better off at the weights here and only has to run up to his Goulburn Cup run to go close.
Dangers: 5. Appoint Percy will be among the leaders and he gave a sight at Warwick Farm two starts ago then was run down late by Animalia in the Moruya Cup finishing a close third. Runner-up in the Mudgee Cup three starts ago and can’t be overlooked. 3. Le Cavalier produced a big late burst to down Green Sweet at Moruya and while he is 2kg worse off here it’s hard to leave him out now he’s broken through. Sting out of the track doesn’t worry him either. 6. Athonis was run down by an in-form mare first-up at Moruya but has an excellent second-up record and is a winner over this course. Will need a bit of luck from the wide alley but an improver with an each-way hope at least.
How to play it: Green Sweet E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Green Sweet is run down by Le Cavalier at Moruya on January 21
|Race 8 - 5:00PM TANJA PARK STUD SAPPHIRE COAST CUP (2200 METRES)|
6. Confidential appeals as a very good each-way chance in an open race. He had no luck at all at a vital stage at Moruya, held up until well into the straight before working home strongly into fifth. Is a winner over 2300m so the trip is ideal and if they can run on and he has a clear shot he’s sure to be in the finish.
Dangers: 4. Biodynamic won the Moruya race in question courtesy of an excellent ride through the field. He certainly doesn’t win if he has to go around them. His only other win to date was at this trip so now he’s broken through again he should hold his form. 2. Reliable Magic was a winner at Sale over this distance then up in class and distance at Caulfield he finished midfield after getting back to last. This race falls somewhere in between class wise and he has drawn well so worth including. 1. Resort is another to contest the Moruya event won by Biodynamic and he ran on just ahead of Confidential into fourth. Drawn a lot better this time so may sit closer and that keeps him in the mix.
How to play it: Confidential E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Confidential runs fifth behind Biodynamic at Moruya on January 21